Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/17/2017 3:24:02 PM EDT
in order to qualify for a FL Concealed Weapon's License?

FL specifies a course provided by a certified State or NRA pistol instructor.  But there are different levels of training and the different classes can add up quickly in cost if one takes all of them.
What level of training is deemed sufficient by the State of FL and approximately how much should I expect to have to pay?

I cannot find any specific info on the actual training level required, just that the course has to be taught by an approved trainer.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:28:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Classes around me are anywhere from $35-$50. Check your local gun shops.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:36:52 PM EDT
[#2]
That alone gives me some idea, thanks.

I should have mentioned that I am out of state.
The "certified trainers" I have found here in PA are doing stuff like teaching three classes for like; $125, $135, $150.  And recommending that one take at least TWO classes ($260!!!!!!)

I just do not believe that I need to be into this kind of money to qualify for a FL CFP.

It could be that the best thing for me to do would be to do my requirements once I have actually moved to FL (within a couple of years…retirement )

In the meantime, my PA license provides me with reciprocity for my upcoming visits.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:08:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:10:30 PM EDT
[#4]
When i called fl to ask.  They told me a valid huning liscense is sufficiant.  Call there number and ask them to mail you the packet.  Has all info you need in it.  
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:10:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That alone gives me some idea, thanks.

I should have mentioned that I am out of state.
The "certified trainers" I have found here in PA are doing stuff like teaching three classes for like; $125, $135, $150.  And recommending that one take at least TWO classes ($260!!!!!!)

I just do not believe that I need to be into this kind of money to qualify for a FL CFP.

It could be that the best thing for me to do would be to do my requirements once I have actually moved to FL (within a couple of years…retirement )

In the meantime, my PA license provides me with reciprocity for my upcoming visits.
View Quote
If I understand, you have a PA licence that is ok here.  I would wait and take a course here so that you can discuss the specifics of Florida statutes.

65 dollars will do it, but you get what you pay for.  Class of 40 students, 2 hours at a gun show with one round fired?  Quality one on one instruction with a knowledgeable instructor?

Since you have previous experience, I recommend you get the licence in your pocket as cheaply as you can and then seek out a quality instructor that can walk you through the stuff unique to Florida.

At the minimum; the instructor must observe you safety handle and discharge a firearm.  That can be part of an NRA approved course or a course designed by an NRA certificated instructor.

A person who conducts a course pursuant to subparagraph 2., subparagraph 3., or subparagraph 7., or who, as an instructor, attests to the completion of such courses, must maintain records certifying that he or she observed the student safely handle and discharge the firearm in his or her physical presence and that the discharge of the firearm included live fire using a firearm and ammunition as defined in s. 790.001;

There are several other ways to meet the training requirement other than the NRA.  The following qualifies:

(h) Demonstrates competence with a firearm by any one of the following:
1. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or a similar agency of another state;
2. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;
3. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school, using instructors certified by the National Rifle Association, Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission, or the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services;
4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of a law enforcement agency or security enforcement;
5. Presents evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition or military service;
6. Is licensed or has been licensed to carry a firearm in this state or a county or municipality of this state, unless such license has been revoked for cause; or
7. Completion of any firearms training or safety course or class conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association certified firearms instructor;
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:13:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
When i called fl to ask.  They told me a valid huning liscense is sufficiant.  Call there number and ask them to mail you the packet.  Has all info you need in it.  
http://www.freshfromflorida.com/
View Quote
I'm not sure a hunting license will work.  Evidence of a hunter safety education course will.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:16:38 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're already proficient with handguns take the cheapest class you can find and buy the
Jon  Gutmacher Book to become familiar with our gun laws.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964195879?tag=vglnk-c102-20

Here's the official state website which spells it all out regarding what's necessary and how to apply for a concealed weapons license.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/How-to-Apply-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License

ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Acceptable-Training-Documentation
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 8:19:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you're already proficient with handguns take the cheapest class you can find and buy the
Jon  Gutmacher Book to become familiar with our gun laws.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0964195879?tag=vglnk-c102-20

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/51JnzGw-9LL._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Here's the official state website which spells it all out regarding what's necessary and how to apply for a concealed weapons license.

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/How-to-Apply-for-or-Renew-a-Concealed-Weapon-License

ACCEPTABLE TRAINING DOCUMENTATION:

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/Divisions-Offices/Licensing/Concealed-Weapon-License/Acceptable-Training-Documentation
View Quote
Good advice
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:39:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm not sure a hunting license will work.  Evidence of a hunter safety education course will.
View Quote
This, and it's free.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for the advice.
It looks like the most economical and practical answer will be to simply wait until I establish residency and then find an economical training source in FL; hunter safety, or pistol trainer.

I only need a minimal training exposure.  I have been a safe and very experienced shooter for decades and have been carrying concealed for years.

The drawback is that if I wait, I'll probably end up needing to go for an unspecified period of time without a license while I wait for the State of FL to process my application (even though my PA license will be good for 90 days after establishing FL residency).  I am also very difficult to fingerprint and there is a very good likelihood they will need more than one attempt to get prints off of me.  I expect this to slow things down, too (this problem slowed things down for my Utah CFP which I have as well).
I was trying to find an economical way to get a non-resident license ahead of time, hoping that the switch to a resident license would take less time and enable me to maintain continuous carrying privileges.  But, no good way to make that happen I guess.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:42:15 AM EDT
[#11]
You should go to one of the offices in person to get your permit. They fingerprint you right there on an electronic machine. They would know right away if there is a problem and you could redo them until they are good.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 8:47:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
You should go to one of the offices in person to get your permit. They fingerprint you right there on an electronic machine. They would know right away if there is a problem and you could redo them until they are good.
View Quote
Right.
That's what I had planned to do.  There is a Tax Collector's Office in Punta Gorda where I will be at the end of May, but I won't be able to get the rest of the stuff together.  I had hoped that I could pull it all together over the next few weeks and then show up with everything I would need.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Thank you all for the advice.
It looks like the most economical and practical answer will be to simply wait until I establish residency and then find an economical training source in FL; hunter safety, or pistol trainer.

I only need a minimal training exposure.  I have been a safe and very experienced shooter for decades and have been carrying concealed for years.

The drawback is that if I wait, I'll probably end up needing to go for an unspecified period of time without a license while I wait for the State of FL to process my application (even though my PA license will be good for 90 days after establishing FL residency).  I am also very difficult to fingerprint and there is a very good likelihood they will need more than one attempt to get prints off of me.  I expect this to slow things down, too (this problem slowed things down for my Utah CFP which I have as well).
I was trying to find an economical way to get a non-resident license ahead of time, hoping that the switch to a resident license would take less time and enable me to maintain continuous carrying privileges.  But, no good way to make that happen I guess.
View Quote
The switch from a Florida non resident license to a Florida resident license consists only of your notifying the licensing division of your new Florida address.

That's it; nothing to it and no waiting.

You just inform them of the address change.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:21:05 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The switch from a Florida non resident license to a Florida resident license consists only of your notifying the licensing division of your new Florida address.

That's it; nothing to it and no waiting.

You just inform them of the address change.
View Quote
I thought it would be something like that, which I why I wanted to do it that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#15]
You can use hunters safety course.  That's damn near free.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#16]
It might be cheaper to get a PA "Hunter Safety Card".  That will meet the FL training requirement.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:30:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Join USPSA, IDPA or SASS.
Attach copy of membership to application.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 7:30:26 PM EDT
[#18]
 I used my hunter safety course cert that I got back in 1983.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:52:01 PM EDT
[#19]
You seem like a nice guy and a positive addition to our world.  What part of Fl are you moving to?  If you have not done it by the time you get here and you are close to me, I will do it for you pro bono.  Review Fl statutes, watch you safely handle and discharge a firearm, sign you off and walk you through the application process.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 6:16:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Classes around me are anywhere from $35-$50. Check your local gun shops.
View Quote
this

just go to any gun shop
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Good idea, if he's in my area, I'll do the same.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You seem like a nice guy and a positive addition to our world.  What part of Fl are you moving to?  If you have not done it by the time you get here and you are close to me, I will do it for you pro bono.  Review Fl statutes, watch you safely handle and discharge a firearm, sign you off and walk you through the application process.
Classy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:06:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Classy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Classy.
Contempating a relo to FL from PA as well.   I'm good personally with the training req, but seeing the giving spirit here was a little lighthouse for me in the fog of the decision process.  

Bravo.  

Link Posted: 4/21/2017 10:36:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#25]
Okay, so things are looking up!

I decided to check to see if there were any local gun shops in Punta Gorda with any training classes lined up during my stay and I found one!
So I went ahead and registered for class.  And the price was totally reasonable.  This saves me a ton over the $ and headaches I would have to deal with in trying to solve this little problem from up here in PA.

I'm thinking now of maybe extending my stay for a couple extra days because this would let me complete the application process at the local tax collector's office.  If I can make this happen, my completed application should be on its way to Tallahassee before I can drive halfway to the Georgia State line on my return trip.

Very happy now!

ETA:  btw, I also have ordered a copy of that book, "Florida Firearms, law, etc…" on its way.  I already have something similar for PA, "PA Gun Law" by McShane & Giaramita (the PA, U.S. Law Shield guys).  It's excellent.  I expect the Florida book to be very good, too.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 1:21:28 PM EDT
[#26]
Glad it worked out.  My next suggestion would have paid you, instead of you paying them.  A three year hitch in the Military gets you a DD214 that will count as your training.  Of, course, it does have to be Honorable.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 5:18:43 PM EDT
[#27]
The CCW requirement is a complete joke.(for what you have to do)
I'd get it done as cheap as possible just to fulfill that & then after you can find a competent instructor to learn from.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top