Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/28/2017 9:47:18 PM EDT
So, I have a week to kill visiting in laws. What is there decent to do?

Fishing, hiking, swimming, hot springs, and outdoorsy stuff is good. Don't care about Disney, Universal, Sea World, or theme parks. Looking for more for cool spots in nature, sights to see, and things to do.

Just trying find something to do, since I am stuck there

M4Real's post is making me want to go after some sea trout. Sadly, the in-laws aren't outdoorsy and have zero connects or ideas on that stuff. Walking at a park is about it.

Any good beaches? Snorkeling good or not this time of year?

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 10:31:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Check out ft de Soto
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#2]
The water visibility sucks in Tampa Bay for the most part. You don't snorkel there. Ft. DeSoto's pretty good, or you can go rent a kayak and go down a river and look at alligators and such. I can't recommend a rental location, but there are plenty listed on Google. IIRC, 3-day fishing passes are $17 and it looks like Google has some hits on Kayak fishing tours/charters that are probably pretty reasonable.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 1:08:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Honeymoon Island

There's nature trails you can walk or just chill on the beach

Just don't swim on the side between Honeymoon and Caladesi,the current is deadly 
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 4:17:19 PM EDT
[#4]
For inshore fishing give Captain Mike Gore a call. He's the man.

http://captainmikegore.com

He will put you on the fish.  If he's not available he will hook you up with someone good who is.

Trout and snook are great right now.

Florida Aquarium is awesome. Good place to spend a day.  Downtown has some decent places to eat now.  

I second Fort Desoto. Maybe run up to Hilsborough State park.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Apollo beach is nice NICE BEACH & MANATEES

If you are Hungary go to  Yoders in Sarasota-Amish place with about 20 types of pies

Sarasota has Siesta key IMO one of the best beaches in fla,

If you are gay go to Ybor city.

the aquarium in Tampa is nice.

get on I4 1 exit go to RV WORLD

see if you can get a fishing charter  booked.

lots of nice hooters in Tampa Lots of nice strip clubs in tampa.

I have blown weekends just chilling on treasure island.

you'll go broke for sure but you should not get board.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 1:54:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Kayaking

Go rent a kayak and paddle with the Manatees on Weeki Watchee
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 11:35:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Found out I will have access to a truck, so a kayak rental will be a must. Are there any recommended places that just rent the kayaks, the way Sports Authority and Sport Chalet used to?

No strip clubs. No gay spots.

Thanks for the food recommendations. The folks I am visiting are anchored with a vegetarian eater and that does to go with my belief system! So, they have zero knowledge about good food.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You can usually rent the kayak at the site so there's no need to haul anything around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top