Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2017 9:33:01 PM EDT
So I'm trying to find out some info for my fiancé. Her parents have been having ongoing issues. It's mostly the mom who is borderline bat shit crazy. They fight a lot. Well Friday my fiancé gets a call that the dad lied about something petty and the mom has gone off the deep end. Starts talking crazy, leaves the house and nobody has heard from her for hours. It pisses me off that her childish parents drag her into this. I've sat back for a while now but am about to speak my mind.

Anyway, on Saturday morning my fiancé had a text from her dads number at 4:00am that said never talk to your mom again, I just slapped her real hard. I know the dad and he's non confrontational for the most part. Didn't sound like him. But after calling both of them for a few hours and no answer, my lady had enough of worrying and called them police. Told the operator everything including the text from the dads number.

Dad calls an hour later, the mom is arrested. Turns out the mom took the dads phone and sent my fiancé that text. Not him. The police saw the bruises on the dads neck and has scratches all over him. Turns out she came home at 4:00 in the morning and attacked him in his sleep. He pushed her face to get away.

But now the fiancé is worried about her mom and the dad did not and does not want to press charges. They let the mom go this afternoon on a signature. ? She is currently staying with a friend. "Battery, Touch or Strike" is the charge. So what do you think she is looking at? No priors. Personally, I don't care what happens to this crazy menace. But I'm curious as to what COULD happen, if anything at all. In regards to state charges. It's in Okaloosa county. We live in TX so no clue about FL law
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 4:39:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm trying to find out some info for my fiancé. Her parents have been having ongoing issues. It's mostly the mom who is borderline bat shit crazy. They fight a lot. Well Friday my fiancé gets a call that the dad lied about something petty and the mom has gone off the deep end. Starts talking crazy, leaves the house and nobody has heard from her for hours. It pisses me off that her childish parents drag her into this. I've sat back for a while now but am about to speak my mind.

Anyway, on Saturday morning my fiancé had a text from her dads number at 4:00am that said never talk to your mom again, I just slapped her real hard. I know the dad and he's non confrontational for the most part. Didn't sound like him. But after calling both of them for a few hours and no answer, my lady had enough of worrying and called them police. Told the operator everything including the text from the dads number.

Dad calls an hour later, the mom is arrested. Turns out the mom took the dads phone and sent my fiancé that text. Not him. The police saw the bruises on the dads neck and has scratches all over him. Turns out she came home at 4:00 in the morning and attacked him in his sleep. He pushed her face to get away.

But now the fiancé is worried about her mom and the dad did not and does not want to press charges. They let the mom go this afternoon on a signature. ? She is currently staying with a friend. "Battery, Touch or Strike" is the charge. So what do you think she is looking at? No priors. Personally, I don't care what happens to this crazy menace. But I'm curious as to what COULD happen, if anything at all. In regards to state charges. It's in Okaloosa county. We live in TX so no clue about FL law
View Quote

99% of the time absolute worst case = probation, and anger management. likely case noting at all after court dates and fees.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:37:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Dad's desire for no prosecution won't keep the state from trying to go forward with the case... but greatly increases the odds for a dismissal of the case. Mom most likely will get off unless dad cooperates... which means it will happen again, and next time, dad might not be lucky enough to come away with scratches.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#3]
She's still just a fiance so it's not too late to run...run away fast.  That shit usually runs in the family.  Think about it, her dad probably thought her mom was normal back in the day too.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 7:16:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
She's still just a fiance so it's not too late to run...run away fast.  That shit usually runs in the family.  Think about it, her dad probably thought her mom was normal back in the day too.
View Quote
Sadly, girls do tend to take after their mothers.  There is an old saying:  Look at your wife's mother.  That is your wife in 20 years.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Eject.

It will never end, and eventually manifest in the next generation.

At least, that's my experience.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:57:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Only on ARFCOM. What a terrible thing for you to say about the OP fiance.

....but that don't mean you're wrong.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:37:56 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Only on ARFCOM. What a terrible thing for you to say about the OP fiance.

....but that don't mean you're wrong.
View Quote
You guys are something. I've heard the crazy runs in the family thing. I've got some nuts in my family as well. My fiancé absolutely resents and hates her mother. She still worries for her, but comes closer to washing her hands with her each time. I've made my position very clear and she supports me. My fiancé takes after her dad and her sister is way more like the mom. It's like night and day difference.

No ejecting, not letting this one go. She's got her shit together, doesn't have a "past" like most girls, and has a MBA and double engineering degree. Plus a strong conservative.

Since we've all derailed this thread. I find it so odd that I hear so many on ARF say they have liberal girlfriends or wives. That I just can't understand. That's a whole different type of crazy there.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:10:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Bowhntr6pt is pretty on point.

The pressing of charges argument doesn't matter in Florida under the law.  The prosecutor however will take it into consideration and utilize their discretion in making a decision.

If it ends up going full fledged domestic battery it is a very time consuming probation period as per Florida law she would be required to enroll in and complete the Batterer's Intervention class, which is 26 weeks long (one class per week typically).

The fact that the dad never called 911 himself, does not want anything to happen to the mom, and this being a first arrest, it likely won't go far.

Criminal Defense Attorney's Offer free consultations all the time, perhaps your fiance can call around or the dad can in the county the mom was arrested in.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 9:40:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I am surprised the mother didn't get charged with domestic violence. When I was getting divorced 13 years ago, my ex came to the house when I had another female there and barged in the front door and started slapping and scratching the s@$t out of me.  I stiff armed her out the door and called the cops and she was arrested for domestic violence.  The state contacted me and I told them we were in the middle of a divorce and emotions were high and I did not want to press charges.  The state ended up knocking the charge down to disorderly conduct.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 11:08:30 AM EDT
[#10]
It is a domestic violence charge.
784.03-1a1

They have an attorney now and the crazy has finally agreed to get some professional help.

I wish I could say this is a wake up call for her, but I doubt anything will work.

Thank God we live 10 hours away!
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 3:26:40 PM EDT
[#11]
OP, you rarely ever just marry the daughter.  The family is part of the package.  She has to make a choice, you or them.  If she can't, save yourself a lot of time, money, and grief.  EJECT!!
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:06:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It is a domestic violence charge.
784.03-1a1

They have an attorney now and the crazy has finally agreed to get some professional help.

I wish I could say this is a wake up call for her, but I doubt anything will work.

Thank God we live 10 hours away!
View Quote
Bear in mind that when she was released the judge most likely issued a no-contact order between her and her husband.  That order will prohibit her from any contact with the husband, nor will she be able to go to the residence.  That order will remain in effect until the case is disposed of.  If she violates it, she goes to jail for violation of pre-trial release conditions (essentially contempt of court).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top