Posted: 3/25/2017 8:39:01 AM EDT
flying down Tuesday for an interview

tell me about the area / real estate

places to shoot (trap shooting a plus)

where not to buy

thanks
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 12:27:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Sarasota and Manatee counties are some of the fastest growing areas in the country. I think you pay a premium for places in Sarasota and HOAs are rampant. Bradenton just north is a bit more working class. Area becomes a traffic jam in winter. It is beautiful, though. Geared much more to the affluent retiree and families than the Spring Break crowd. It is beautiful. The 2 big gun shops are Shoot Straight on 301 and University, and The Bullet Hole in downtown Sarasota. A few smaller shops but those 2 have the largest selection by far.

I've been here just over a year and love it
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 2:52:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sarasota and Manatee counties are some of the fastest growing areas in the country. I think you pay a premium for places in Sarasota and HOAs are rampant. Bradenton just north is a bit more working class. Area becomes a traffic jam in winter. It is beautiful, though. Geared much more to the affluent retiree and families than the Spring Break crowd. It is beautiful. The 2 big gun shops are Shoot Straight on 301 and University, and The Bullet Hole in downtown Sarasota. A few smaller shops but those 2 have the largest selection by far.

I've been here just over a year and love it
View Quote
how far North and East to get to a more rural setting, I'm OK with a 45 minute - hour drive to get to work
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Parrish, FL.

Also, head east on Hwy64 (east of I75) for real rural living and less $$$, though not as less $$$ as you'd think really. There may be homes out there with less sticker shock or older houses, but still close to I75 and a commute to north or central Sarasota wouldn't be too bad.  

You'll go past Ancient Oaks trap and clay shooting as you head east on Hwy64 too (its on the south side of hwy 64) in a farmer's pasture just east of Lorraine Rd (gooogle Hwy64 and Lorraine Rd area).  They have golf carts and rental guns, etc.  Its a decent operation.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:33:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
flying down Tuesday for an interview

tell me about the area / real estate

places to shoot (trap shooting a plus)

where not to buy

thanks
View Quote
Good luck at the interview. Do you mind saying what industry?

We purchased in Oct 2015 and our Realtor believed Sarasota was/is in a 'bubble'. Low supply and high demand for homes, so you pay accordingly.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 1:50:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

how far North and East to get to a more rural setting, I'm OK with a 45 minute - hour drive to get to work
View Quote
Going north, look at Bradenton, Parrish or Palmetto.  I can get to downtown Sarasota in about 30 mins from Palmetto.  Those areas will typically be cheaper than Sarasota, and usually lower property taxes as well.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Good luck at the interview. Do you mind saying what industry?

We purchased in Oct 2015 and our Realtor believed Sarasota was/is in a 'bubble'. Low supply and high demand for homes, so you pay accordingly.
View Quote
Transportation, inter-company transfer
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 12:23:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Going north, look at Bradenton, Parrish or Palmetto.  I can get to downtown Sarasota in about 30 mins from Palmetto.  Those areas will typically be cheaper than Sarasota, and usually lower property taxes as well.
View Quote
Yup...30 minutes is typical for me from Palmetto to downtown Sarasota. Usually a bit longer getting home. I like the beach and being near the water, but I also like a more rural setting. Figured this was a good medium and still affordable.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 1:42:17 PM EDT
[#8]
You could look for something on the east end of Fruitville Road as well.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 3:17:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You could look for something on the east end of Fruitville Road as well.
View Quote
I'd recommend this. You can go 15 minutes out of town and still get a decent sized lot and house for pretty reasonable. Outside of the real-estate that's close to the water Sarasota goes downhill real quickly.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 8:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Took the job, need temp living accommodations, will be just myself initially.

Any suggestions, needs to be furnished, any RV parks have rental units?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top