Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:25:09 PM EDT
[#1]
It didn't go into him. It went through his sleeve. From what the R.O. said.  Ricocheted over a 15ft berm at least had to have went at least 40 ft into their range then come down, back and go through a sleeve. From my understanding they were down range shooting steel targets when this happened.

Sooo a ricochet I'm thinking more than likely came from a steel target they were shoot at. I just do not see how it went 200 yards down range at ground level. Ricochet up, over back then down that kind of distance. Even then with enough force to do what they said.

Now shooting steel and a bounce back yeah

I stopped and looked at where they were shooting/from when I left. Got some dirty looks to I just do not buy the R.Os story on how it happened. They were looking to place liability/blame on us in case of insurance.

Which by the way they want our R.O.s insurance info. before he left the range. Wanted him to stop by office.
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Well that might be it ....Time to look else where i'm thinking .Now we have to have a 2 million dollar insurance rider with manatee name on it , Ro's NRA training paper work proving certificate .321.00 for the range .Cant even sign up for next shoot .REALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/20/2017 7:43:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Sounds like they are unaware of why they call that range Area 51. The tanerite issue
has kept me away from the last two shoots. Nothing against you guys. But I do not
want to contribute to that mess down there.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:34:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I still believe it was ricochet from them shooting steel. But what I think does not matter. To be honest. I'm not sure there was even a ricochet. I think under this new management they were not aware of the type of shooting we were going to be doing when they rented the range.

They were having that appleseed shoot and it freaked out some of people and it made them look bad having a family oriented  shoot and us shooting our weapons next to them.  

I say this because if there had been a ricochet with enough force to do what they described. Going through someones shirt or jacket sleeve just missing the arm. No ifs ands or butts they would have closed our shoot down. Period as being an unsafe range.

But they didn't I'm still unset that my friend tried to sneak into the shoot in his private truck and see if he could catch us breaking range rules. To get the shoot closed down. He tripped when he saw me there because I've not been out shooting in a while.

I spoke with my friend later last night and played him some to try to get some info out of him. He would not say much. He said to me if I wanted to shoot full auto I could do at the pistol range up at the main range. I never even mentioned full auto and told him I did not own a full auto. He said, he knew that. Ohhh

I asked him about the ricochet and if there was one and he did not answer me. He's a R.O. there and was working there at in the office and at a shoot that day.  The new management that is relocated northern azzes do not like our kind shooting using the weapons we had unless they are in control of the range. You did notice once they heard full auto fire, how quick they got there with the ricochet story. My friend mentioned the full auto way to much in our conversation.

Now here's the two million dollar question. Are they going to ask every forum that wants to have a shoot there to furnish the same amount of insurance and meet the same requirements.  Or just any forums that promotes full autos, and sporterized military rifles.

I bet any future shoots there. The people renting it will have to answer a questionnaire as to the types of guns being used or they will just ban certain types of guns than can be used on the range in area 51
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 9:35:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Did anything happen after lunch
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:15:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Lot's of theorizing here but I believe that FM2000 is not far off base of the truth. What organized group has 2,000,000 worth of insurance? Do they require the same from the 3 gun guys? Cowboy shooters? I am not a member, so their range their rules, but I believe our "rights" are being slowly  [color=#ff0000]quickly eroded. Just a few short years ago we could meet up at Webb, with no organized R.O.s (self managed) and we would basically take over the whole 200 yd range. Anybody that came along could shoot with us and everyone had a good day. Including the people not with our group. We shot FA, pistols, shotguns, whatever. Safely and orderly. The progressives can get the gun laws changed, they just infiltrate every other aspect of society and beat us using the long game. [/color]
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:42:32 PM EDT
[#7]
One shoot I was down range and could hear what sounded like rim fires going over my head
from the range next door. Bullets don't turn 90° in flight. I was not concerned. It would seem impossible
for a round to leave A-51 and hit someone on the range next door.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 3:23:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Has anyone google mapped thst range just out of curiosity to see how it's laided out in comparison to area 51. They said it happen I think while they were down range shooting steel.

Now that range is 600 yds long so they were 600 yds down range shooting steel with all those empty pistol ranges right up there next to them.

But if you have not looked at these two ranges side by side on the satellite image do it. We did not mess up they did.

Look at how the ranges line up at the 600 yd point. They nevrr should have rented those two ranges out at the same time in my opinion.

My friend mentioned also something about building the backstop higher. That's  why I googled it and looked at on satellite.

They think the full auto fire was uncontrolled and went over top of the backstop. That's why they guy I know that work's there kept bring up the full auto shooting to me.  That an we were a bunch of animals probably because of what we had and rate of fire.  

I'm still dumb founded at what happened. For yrs between arfcom and FSN I've feen going out there on and off. Heck once we camped out there an entire weekend from Fri through Sat night. never a problem and had probably 60 people or more shooting on some meets with forums hosted shoots. This weekend was nothing but a small get together and more talking than shooting. But everytime we started shooting they showed and we had to stop.

During lunch there towards the end they showed up asking about insurance.  The insurance was good enough for years now it's not. What's changed. Oh yeah new management by a bunch of northerns that don't see any reason a person should need the kind of guns we have.

That I have heard them say. I will not renew my membership there after what happened. They can go to hell.

Did they show back up after lunch when everyone started back shooting.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 4:21:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

During lunch there towards the end they showed up asking about insurance.  The insurance was good enough for years now it's not. What's changed. Oh yeah new management by a bunch of northerns that don't see any reason a person should need the kind of guns we have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

.--This northerner moved down here to escape that sort of northerner mentality.

Did they show back up after lunch when everyone started back shooting.
--younger woman showed up even before any more rounds were loosed to compliment our group about how we (basically our acting ROs) handled the situation. Got the feeling she wasn't exactly on board with what everyone else was claiming.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 5:51:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I remember her if it was the one who had the lip piercing. Even the guy that I know that showed up in his truck that works there as an RO who is from up north and shoots bench rest only there. He and I have gotten in debates over military style sporter rifles. He does not see why there is any reason that anyone needs them.

I say like those military style sniper rifles you shoot.  The government can ban them both if you agree that the other should be banned.  Manatee wants to become a gentleman's sportsmans club I guess. The old management had more pro gun guys in it.  I'm not joking this new management that runs the gun club there.

It was a very hostile take over from old management. They tried to have some of the old management people arrested and jailed over bogus charges. That were based on false accusations and were dismissed. Alot of people quit the club over these new people.  

Still if there really had been something happen like they said. A rounds coming over into the other firing lane. They would have immediately shut us down. For whatever reason, full auto fire, rapid firing and them having that appleseed shoot. Maybe parents complained at the shoot about what we were doing. But I seriously doubt anybody got hit in the sleeve with a live round.  They'd shut us down for unsafe shooting if that happened.

The guy that I know and hunt with that showed up back there in his truck to spy. I might just defriend him. What he did was B.S. from talking with him. They basically did not want FA fire and rapid fire like we were doing without one of their range officers. He said we should have limited our rate of fire. To x number rds a sec. Ect.....how could we hit anything shooting like that......he clammed up after that.

But I would like to know if these conditions are just for us or everyone that shoots there now. We will findout when FSN does their next shoot there.

Either way I'm still in disbelief and can grasp that this still happened. I've been going to these types of events there myself since 2007 and never had any group been treated like that. Until these new people took control.

Our RO in the beginning made a comment before we started shooting. That insinuated he felt uneasy I think also about these people to. Something about someone not being there anymore we'll see how it goes.  

I'll say one thing. Our RO should run for office of some kind. He was smooth in how he handled those people. Plus he is a great guy.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 11:23:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Sorry i missed the shoot.
Had to put my 18yr old cat to sleep...not a good day.
As far as the range Since 2009 ive been to 35 shoots that were booked by myself
Or by fellow forum members at AREA 51.
In all that time we have never had a serious incident.
Since gene left i have sensed something different towards our group...like they didnt want us there.
The rules seemed to change every time i went to the office to pay.
This new 2 million dollar insurance bullshit rules out any small group of idividuals shooting there anymore.
Paying $300.00 + tax to rent a range should include any coverage needed....But thats just my thoughts.
Anyway it should be interesting to see how the new management treats other groups in the future.
Perhaps we can find another place to hold a small shoot that actually wants our money and welcomes us as
Fellow gun owners and responsible shooters.
If anything comes up...i will be sure and post it.
ATB   mick.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 1:08:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Sorry i missed the shoot.
Had to put my 18yr old cat to sleep...not a good day.
View Quote
So sorry Mick...we definitely missed you
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 5:41:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Possibly more East? Okeechobee?
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
If you want to actually know what is going on with MGAC, stop talking and start asking questions. Are you aware they stream their monthly meetings live on Facebook?  Who does that?!  No one but these guys! Change for the better is coming.  Be a part of it.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you want to actually know what is going on with MGAC, stop talking and start asking questions. Are you aware they stream t1heir monthly meetings live on Facebook?  Who does that?!  No one but these guys! Change for the better is coming.  Be a part of it.
View Quote
How about filling us in on it! It was better. more and more rules were imposed that
make the place not worth going to when we have ranges closer to us. The tanerite
ban was ridiculous. Sure someone screwed up, but banning it all is no different than
banning all guns because of a minority of abuse.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 8:44:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
If you want to actually know what is going on with MGAC, stop talking and start asking questions. Are you aware they stream their monthly meetings live on Facebook?  Who does that?!  No one but these guys! Change for the better is coming.  Be a part of it.
View Quote
You mean change like talking about not offering any new memberships so they can make more money by charging the public 20.00 a pop to shoot. Also this coming after the way we were treated by someone thats been a member here since 2011 and their second post is here in this post. Your second post in what 7 years and it's here after the way that range treat the members here.  Why do I feel like your a troll for the range.

You people were total asses in the way you treated us. We broke no rules. If any rules were broke it was by your ROs
Just admit it you did not want full auto fire there and rapid fire with your appleseed shoot going on. That's the impression I got from one of your other ROs there. Plus look are an aerial of area 51 and the range the appleseed shoot was on.  If you had people down range while live fire was happening on area 51 you messed up. Big time,
The 600 yd line is directly in the line of fire of area 51. You screwed up. So go chew on that. No wonder you and your club wanted us out of area 51.  

So don't come on here with 2 posts since 2011 and try and cover for those dicks. They basically banned us from ever shooting there again. With the conditions they put on us. I wonder if you/they will put those same conditions on everyone.

Oh one more thing. We are talking about the same management that did a hostile take over of that gun club and tried to have some member/members arrested on bogus charges. Right.......when you say better. I assume more family orient. That does not include the type of guns we have. More like bolt action, pistols, shotguns and railguns. I've been there and been frowned at for ar10 sporter rifles and some of my other guns and asked why I need guns like that before by some of the ROs.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Why do I feel like your a troll for the range.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Why do I feel like your a troll for the range.
He sent me the following private message.

Quoted:
Please contact the office at MGAC for a debrief of your shoot this past weekend.
Well, here is my debrief. FUCK Manatee Gun and Archery Club. Fuck the Management. Fuck the ROs. I will never shoot there again.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:51:41 AM EDT
[#18]
I agree with the debriefing.  We were there. What are your management going to tell us. We spent more time with your ROs there screwing with us then shooting. I bet you from 9 am till noon we shoot maybe an hour and a half total time. The rest of the time the range officer were there. I say 9am because that's about when I got there.

Let me give Manatee gun club our debriefing. Manatee gun club tried to screw with an organization that paid for a range session, rent a range. Were paying customers. That broke no rules. Manatee screwed up their sch by renting two ranges at the same time that never should have been rented at the same time. Because it was unsafe to go down range on the appleseed range while area 51 range was hot. It is directly in the line of fire of area 51.

Therefore Manatee decided that our shoot should be shut down. Then proceeded to find a way to evict ar15.com from the range. The range officers from my inside source I heard did not approve of the full auto and rapid firing we were doing while the appleseed shoot was there. It bothered the people at the appleseed shoot. That was another reason Manatee management tried to shut down an AR15.COM get together shoot.

That's our debriefing so go and feed your B.S.to someone else. We were there and saw what happened and what your ROs did. I spoke with two ROs off range also that I personally know. So go F yourselfs. Again I will know also if you impose the same regulations on everyone and I will post it here. What about that appleseed shoot. You going to require a 2 million dollar writer on them with your name on it. I doubt it.  This is your idea of new things happening.

Getting rid of what the new management considers non sporting shooting and events and guns unless they are on the main range or LE events. You do not want civilian events that use these weapons on your range and imposed these ridiculous new regulations to prevent it. F OFF your range will be known all over Florida as an anti second amendment range.  What Manatee gun range did to AR15 members will be spread to every gun forum in Florida. I will personally see to that. Of coarse there will be people. Like you to defend them. I know you were there. I think I know who you are also.

So this is not a personal attack against you.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:27:29 AM EDT
[#19]
Was appleseed on 51A or the 600yard  range?
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 12:20:52 PM EDT
[#21]
OK

I was afraid they were using 51A again

My son and I were almost killed there by the Appleseed using area 51...................years ago

Too much was done there with no site plan compass or transit
Dirt moved 2 3 and 4 times with no net gain
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 2:56:49 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the ROs I know mentioned right there on the range. While I was talking to him. That they were closing down A51 after our shoot to make the back stop higher. The back stop is friggin higher than heck now.

The problem is that the 600 yd range if you are down range is directly in the line of fire with A51. If you go down range on the 600 yd range and people are shooting on A51 and a rd ricochets and goes over top of the back stop they are right in the bullets path.

That's the only range with that problem there. They knew this would and could be a problem also. It had nothing to do with us. They messed up on renting A51 and the appleseed shoot at the same time and knew it. They were afraid of what could happen. Someone screwed up there.

If a rd had come over that back stop and did what they said. They would have shut us down as being unsafe. If it did happen they were shooting steel. Who's to say it was not a ricochet from one of them shooting steel. Again from what I understand they were down range shooting steel when this happened. I believe that's what they said. I could be wrong.

I believe someone said it was a handgun round to. Could be wrong again. But a handgun rd ricochets and travels 600 yds with enough force to go through a shirt sleave. I do not know about that. Not 600 yds parallel.

But look at google maps sattilite view. It's stupid and dangerous having people down range on that 600 yd range with gun fire on A5. That's one of tge reasons they wanted us gone. We did nothing wrong. They screwed up not us.

But hey like that CB guy that's been a member here since 2011 and did his 2nd post here about how Manatee gun club is making changes for the better. I guess getting rid of organizations like AR15.COM shoots is a start to making the club better. Next will be all the other PRO SECOND ADMENDMENT FORUMS LIKE AR15.COM great changes there Manatee Gun Club. I'll spread the news of your great changes and how you support the second Amendment
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Area 51 needed to be turned to be more parallel with main range and 600 and 51A
What concrete pad and canopy should have never faced that direction

The 600 should have never been pushed past 300.................

We know how we got there.............
We will have great pain and expense fixing it

One of the reasons I stop running my service rifle CMP matches was I sick of worrying about stuff flying
over our heads. And we only went back to 200 there
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 3:44:38 PM EDT
[#24]
I sorry to sound like a dick towards them. But they treat us very badly this past weekend. For something they messed up on.

Then kept trying to evict us off the range for nothing. They then pulled this 2 million dollar write nonsense on us. So small organization cares that kind of insurance. They did that to just us so we would never come back. We're not fools. Because they are anti 2nd admendment when it come to certain guns and private ownership of them.

I plan on running an online awareness campaign to make the entire state aware of this and what they have done to shooters from ar15.com. there are alot of shooters in Florida. I'm retired now with nothing to do and really pissed.  Unless they make every organizatin that rents space on that range furnish a 2 million dollar insurance policy then I'm going to hsve a field day. I will find out to.

Oh yeah this not plan on not doing anymore memberships. So they can make more money off the public. I wonder how that will go over.  Yeah I see alot of great changes for the better. Not for the shooting public or the 2nd admendment. There are different guide lines for ranges as far as members and nonmembers. When it comes to what you can tell them or require of them on the range. Like dress codes ect....Ask your attorney
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I sorry to sound like a dick towards them. But they treat us very badly this past weekend. For something they messed up on.

Then kept trying to evict us off the range for nothing. They then pulled this 2 million dollar write nonsense on us. So small organization cares that kind of insurance. They did that to just us so we would never come back. We're not fools. Because they are anti 2nd admendment when it come to certain guns and private ownership of them.

I plan on running an online awareness campaign to make the entire state aware of this and what they have done to shooters from ar15.com. there are alot of shooters in Florida. I'm retired now with nothing to do and really pissed.  Unless they make every organizatin that rents space on that range furnish a 2 million dollar insurance policy then I'm going to hsve a field day. I will find out to.

Oh yeah this not plan on not doing anymore memberships. So they can make more money off the public. I wonder how that will go over.  Yeah I see alot of great changes for the better. Not for the shooting public or the 2nd admendment. There are different guide lines for ranges as far as members and nonmembers. When it comes to what you can tell them or require of them on the range. Like dress codes ect....Ask your attorney
View Quote
I was asked to join membership committee  at the 1st meeting of new board
I did with some reservations (Pass experience with ..........)
I have not seen that discussed by the board in any email
I have been vocal
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 5:31:33 PM EDT
[#26]
Sorry I missed the fun. Even had a reservation at Manatee sp. Son had his yearly play friday nite.
Lets find another place. Okeechobee comes to mind. Two ranges, maybe they'd take us.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 6:55:24 PM EDT
[#27]
I think Dave and Will (organizer by default and RO) should put an email together and address the issues. We can bitch and moan among ourselves, but I believe there might be the slimmest chance of resolving some issues. Not the least of which is the insurance (that is a non starter). Try to put yourself in their shoes....someone from Appleseed complains, they are obligated to address the issue. I try not to be a give up and walk away kind of Guy. I believe most here are not either. If we can resolve some things and move forward, great, if not...then we move on. Our choices are few....very few. I would rather not double my travel time. But, it is what it is. Until it ain't.

What about Desoto Gun Club? I know it is small. Anyone have any connections? Can they be contacted? There is Hanson Range between Punta Gorda and NoFo.I shat a 3 gun there once with ChasBoob (with stories to tell, but I digress). I don't believe they have facilities to accommodate us.

@4719dave
@ukgunguy
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:23:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Has that other range always gone back that far? I don't know why, but I always thought that
was a rimfire range that was the same as A-51 in length.

JJ, the thing about working with them is the fact they have been limiting things for a few
shoots back. They gave us a hard time about steel first, made everyone move way
up on the line to shoot FA, banned tanerite and now this. They will need to move back
a long way and I have a hard time believing they will do this.

Hope they will, but I am not holding my breath.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 7:59:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Has that other range always gone back that far? I don't know why, but I always thought that
was a rimfire range that was the same as A-51 in length.

JJ, the thing about working with them is the fact they have been limiting things for a few
shoots back. They gave us a hard time about steel first, made everyone move way
up on the line to shoot FA, banned tanerite and now this. They will need to move back
a long way and I have a hard time believing they will do this.

Hope they will, but I am not holding my breath.
View Quote
Our choices are thin to none....and remember, their range their rules. Unless somebody wants to join the club and fight it, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:21:04 AM EDT
[#30]
I am an officer at MGAC.

It seems there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread. I will answer questions you guys have to the limit of my knowledge.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:39:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I need our RANGE OFFICERS contact info could someone IM it to me or someone that is authorized to talk for us that was at the shoot. I do not want to step outside of my scope of authority. Maybe good news. I need this info asap IM or Email me
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:59:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:Someone will fill you better than I can. But they were just looking for an excuse to close us down . How many years have we been doing shoots there. YEARSSSS but with this new management. I don't know what's going on.

This new management did a hostile take over from the old management. It was a mess. A lot of people up and quit. A bunch of retirees from up north moved down and thought they could do a better job. They do not like so called assault rifles either. Today was a prime example of that. I guess they did not like the way we dressed and looked either.
View Quote
This is absolutely not correct. Maybe the old leadership, I can't speak to them, had problems with you guys but we are by no means anti-black rifle. Check out my instagram page if you think so. It's my ARF username.

I had a chat with the President this morning and also have email traffic to the Range Committee where we explicitly (I'd copy and paste it, but want to run it by him first) state that we do not have a problem with ARFCOM, the black guns, full auto, or anything.

It's funny that you say the new leadership is a bunch of retirees from up north who think they can do it better, because that was exactly what the old board consisted of. The previous President was from New Jersey, and the VP was from somewhere in the Midwest. I am a 3rd generation Floridian (and about 3 decades from retirement) and the President is a 7th Generation Floridian.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:01:42 AM EDT
[#33]
New accounts seem to be limited to 2000chars, here is the remainder of my post:

I don't want to speak outside my lane. As an identified officer of MGAC I know even though this is a personal account and I speak on behalf of my own thoughts what I say can in some way be used against the club. However, I will say firmly here and now the new leadership has no issues with black rifles, full auto, etc as long as it is done safely. We have already made progress ensuring this will not happen again (if you go to the range Thursday you will see it looks 100% different than it did on Saturday) and we have more significant work underway. The entire reason we were elected was to prevent these kinds of things from happening - it's just unfortunate that it occurred literally 2 days before scheduled earth works.

Also, for the record, the person who was shot recovered the bullet and it was a "9mm-ish" bullet - so I'm unsure what good going after black rifles would bring regardless. If you look at the club on Google Earth and know the position of the Appleseed shooter when he was hit there is no way that round came from anywhere but Area 51. Tensions get heated in emergencies and we're sorry that an RO came out slinging mud, but understand we really are doing big things.

If you don't believe me, swing by the club tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 11:56:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I am an officer at MGAC.

It seems there is a lot of confusion and misinformation in this thread. I will answer questions you guys have to the limit of my knowledge.
View Quote
Do you mind elaborating on that comment? Please point out the misinformation.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:08:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Do you mind elaborating on that comment? Please point out the misinformation.
View Quote
See the post above yours.

Because I am not retired I can't spend all day quoting snippets here and there, but I'll get to what I can in when I can.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:15:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Our choices are thin to none....and remember, their range their rules. Unless somebody wants to join the club and fight it, then you really don't have a leg to stand on.
View Quote
This is exactly why I ran for office. I saw a few of the benchrest guys calling for bans on black rifles, full auto, 50 cals, etc. I didn't want to see the range I loved going to turned into a gentlemans club suited only for 1,000 yard gong ringing.

I understand not everyone can dedicate time and resources, but I work 50+ hours a week and live 45 miles away from the club. I go there at least 3x a month to manage club business and attend monthly membership meetings that I have to present on. It is essentially a part time job that I do for no pay and only to ensure the club is ran in a vision that I agree with. Anyone here can take up the same challenge and put in work to help manage the club so it is a place we can all enjoy. It is a member run not for profit. You really can't get a place that is more dedicated to the desires of its membership base from an organizational structure standpoint.

However, again, I do not see the anti-black rifle mentality by anyone on the board (some members, yes) that seems to be so prevalent in this thread. I am dismayed to see people throwing the club away as a bunch of grumpy old guys who don't like evil AR15s - anyone saying that hasn't been around the leadership since the election in March.

When someone gets shot, you're going to have ROs roll up hot. I apologize if that was handled inappropriately; I wasn't there and won't comment on what happened in that regard. But know that their job is to keep people safe, and my job will be making sure that you all come back again soon and bring all your cool suppressed NFA toys.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is exactly why I ran for office. I saw a few of the benchrest guys calling for bans on black rifles, full auto, 50 cals, etc. I didn't want to see the range I loved going to turned into a gentlemans club suited only for 1,000 yard gong ringing.

I understand not everyone can dedicate time and resources, but I work 50+ hours a week and live 45 miles away from the club. I go there at least 3x a month to manage club business and attend monthly membership meetings that I have to present on. It is essentially a part time job that I do for no pay and only to ensure the club is ran in a vision that I agree with. Anyone here can take up the same challenge and put in work to help manage the club so it is a place we can all enjoy. It is a member run not for profit. You really can't get a place that is more dedicated to the desires of its membership base from an organizational structure standpoint.

However, again, I do not see the anti-black rifle mentality by anyone on the board (some members, yes) that seems to be so prevalent in this thread. I am dismayed to see people throwing the club away as a bunch of grumpy old guys who don't like evil AR15s - anyone saying that hasn't been around the leadership since the election in March.

When someone gets shot, you're going to have ROs roll up hot. I apologize if that was handled inappropriately; I wasn't there and won't comment on what happened in that regard. But know that their job is to keep people safe, and my job will be making sure that you all come back again soon and bring all your cool suppressed NFA toys.
View Quote
I have an honest question. Since tone cannot be determined in print, let me be clear, I am asking this with little knowledge of ballistic characteristics.

How does a bullet ricochet from the ground, or off of a steel target, fly high enough to clear the berm, and then hit someone, I am assuming, at 4.5 or 5 feet off the ground?

Secondly, 4719Dave (Dave, please jump in here if I am incorrect) was told the in the future we would need a $2,000,000 liability insurance. Is this true?

I Have shot out there probably a dozen times. I have enjoyed shooting there, I just think everyone had their guard up expecting the worst with the drama that has come from the past. Hopefully we can continue.

Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Perhaps someone from the range can PM me.
Im the guy that has been organizing these shoots for military firearm members and ar15 members...local guys from florida.
I was not able to be at the last shoot.
But most of you guys know who i am
Perhaps there is a way to resolve this unfortunate episode.
I will try to contact someone from the range tomorow.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:39:02 PM EDT
[#39]
jj

I'm on my phone. Forgive the lack of formatting.

1) I am not a ballistics expert but I can tell you I have seen that happen with my own eyes. I'm sure someone more educated on aerodynamics and such can give you a more thorough answer as to "how" but I will tell you if you go to a google maps and draw a straight line down the Area 51 firing line it intersects with the 400 yard line of the 600yd range which is right where those Appleseed guys were. The guy that was shot was a cartographer and gave us a very detailed analysis of it. Please note - I'm not blaming any ARF shooters here for doing anything wrong.

2) A significant problem with the past and current leadership was lack of turnover and communications (due to the nature of the election). I was not part of the New Presidents slate, and got along well on a personal level with all of the old management when I was just a shooter and member. Now that I am in a position to see how the club was being managed on all levels it is eye opening. As best as I can research at one point there was a discussion regarding requiring groups to possess that insurance policy at one of our board meetings. However because we cannot find the minutes to see exactly if this was voted on I have no idea if this is a no bs official policy or not. I have spoken to a few other board members and officers and I think this will be discussed in the future but as of now is not an official policy.

However please understand that things change and we have a duty to protect the club from liability so this may become a rule in the future. As far as I am concerned I will fight it until I see convincing reasons to implement it. I think the majority of the board feels the same way.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Perhaps someone from the range can PM me.
Im the guy that has been organizing these shoots for military firearm members and ar15 members...local guys from florida.
I was not able to be at the last shoot.
But most of you guys know who i am
Perhaps there is a way to resolve this unfortunate episode.
I will try to contact someone from the range tomorow.
View Quote
I'm not sure there is anything to resolve on your end. Certainly we will develop stricter SOPs in the future regarding target placement and such but ARF is not banned from MGAC and no cost prohibitive insurance requirements are in place as of the time of this post. All this doom and gloom hooplah is totally unfounded.

It is certainly unfortunate that this occurred but we are making changes on a large scale to ensure things like this not only won't happen again, but physically cannot happen again. There seems to be a blame game going around both among the club and here. I don't partake in such things.

Bottom line is that what happened Saturday cannot happen at our range. Period. I don't care who did it. I don't care if it was just a ricochet. I don't care if it came from Area 51 or not. Things are being done. Go see the range.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 8:14:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I'm not sure there is anything to resolve on your end. Certainly we will develop stricter SOPs in the future regarding target placement but ARF is not banned from MGAC and no cost prohibitive insurance requirements are in place as of this post.

It is certainly unfortunate that this occurred but we are making changes on a large scale to ensure things like this not only won't happen again, but physically cannot happen again.
View Quote
A few shoots ago, probably 6 months we shot there and were told to set targets up toward the
left side of the range. (which we did). That shows that the management knew there was potential for this
to happen.

But I would ask to have the ban on tanerite lifted. Maybe limit it to a pound
in only a plastic container. This was the only place I could shoot it and it
was an enjoyable thing for my Family members and friends to do.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 9:42:06 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

A few shoots ago, probably 6 months we shot there and were told to set targets up toward the
left side of the range. (which we did). That shows that the management knew there was potential for this
to happen.

But I would ask to have the ban on tanerite lifted. Maybe limit it to a pound
in only a plastic container. This was the only place I could shoot it and it
was an enjoyable thing for my Family members and friends to do.
View Quote
Were you guys prohibited from using tannerite last weekend?

We spoke about this at the last board meeting. I don't remember the specifics but it was all live streamed and I could view the minutes. Nothing was voted on but it was discussed. The current management and leadership is under the (correct) impression that as long as tannerite isn't being placed inside anything (like a car) there is little potential for injury if the amounts are kept reasonable. I will look into this and have an answer by tomorrow or Fri.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 10:14:58 PM EDT
[#43]
I concur with banditman....the arfcom shoots at A51 under Will, Dave and Mick, we set up everything off to the left (as right angles seemed to be a monumental challenge to whoever originally plotted A51 out) every time. No ground or low targets and steel only at 100. Any full auto to be directed to the far left. I've felt extremely safe on their watch as well as with those who attend. More than once we've heard rounds zipping overhead at A51 when we our range was cold. Who knows where they were coming from. I appreciate amediocreshooter wanting to help resolve things, but I do have difficulty with MGAC pointing fingers at us when we've done everything we could to safely shoot at a poorly laid out range with another group doing a shoot, as he admits, directly in line witn the A51 benches.

I think we learned we place targets as we've done for a logical reason. I hope MGAC in turn learns placing people down a lane directly in line with another active firing line isn't the best of ideas.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 8:50:02 AM EDT
[#44]
I admire the resolve to work this out instead of the absolute condemnation that was directed at the AR15 members last weekend by the Manatee Gun Club Staff because of something they assumed we may have done.  I referred the contact info of the Executive Director that contacted me to our RO.  He seemed deeply concerned about how we were treated.

I am done and all the leaders that organized this shoot if I'm contacted more will be forwarded Manatees staffs contact info.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:49:08 PM EDT
[#45]
Well hopefully some of the dust is settled and some of the tempers have calmed  down including mine ,yes I totally agree with the way we got handled at the range was totally unprofessional and the pointing fingers was definitely pointed at us hats off tothe way  things were  handled and thank God that nobody really got hurt that's the main thing is important here we can't have anybody getting hurt I spoke with Will this morning and he said that he had talk to the appropriate people at Manatee gun club regarding area 51 ,?? Oh yeah to all of  the English graduates that are teachers and I've come Dunkel bashing me for not putting periods and cap letters in please
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:01:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Yeah you gotta what those periods and capital letters brother oh and misspelling words because you were typing to fast and did not proof read before posting. You'll get nailed on that too
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:46:00 PM EDT
[#47]
In the meantime....

<b>LACQUERED BACON!</b>

1 pkg thick cut bacon

MIX TOGETHER:
4 TB palm/coconut sugar (right by normal sugar at publix)
2 TB light brown sugar
2 TB ground coffee
Generous pinch crushed dried red chilies

Preheat oven to 400

Lay sheet of parchment paper over cookie sheet and set cooling rack on top. Lay bacon strips across rack (takes 2 racks for me) take half the mix and sprinkle over top side of bacon. Cook 20 minutes, remove and let cool a few minutes. Flip bacon and use rest of mix to do that side. Put back in oven for about 20 more minutes....keeping an eye on it til it's the crispness/chewiness you prefer.

Nom nom nom
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#48]
??You are the man ......
Quoted:
In the meantime....

<b>LACQUERED BACON!</b>

1 pkg thick cut bacon

MIX TOGETHER:
4 TB palm/coconut sugar (right by normal sugar at publix)
2 TB light brown sugar
2 TB ground coffee
Generous pinch crushed dried red chilies

Preheat oven to 400

Lay sheet of parchment paper over cookie sheet and set cooling rack on top. Lay bacon strips across rack (takes 2 racks for me) take half the mix and sprinkle over top side of bacon. Cook 20 minutes, remove and let cool a few minutes. Flip bacon and use rest of mix to do that side. Put back in oven for about 20 more minutes....keeping an eye on it til it's the crispness/chewiness you prefer.

Nom nom nom
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#49]
I was not there this time or the time before as the word we had is that tanerite was still banned.
That turned me off as we had used it many times before without a single problem.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 1:00:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Some points:

This morning the club President and myself found a shot up fire extinguisher out at Area 51. No idea whether this was ARFCOM or not but no one has been there since Saturday and it shows there is a lack of adherence to safety protocol out there among some folks at least.

Area 51 has some unique target placement requirements due to the height of the concrete pad in relation to the berm.

As such we are considering the following changes:

A paid MGAC RSO will be out there while the range is rented, and a CRSO will inspect the targets and layouts prior to the range going hot.

We are going to put a 25y berm on the far right side so that pistols may be safely shot from under cover.

Tannerite is now allowed but it must be placed at the berm and only shot with .223 or greater. It can't be placed in anything but plastic.

The range fees are now $75 for the first hour and $45 thereafter. No insurance requirement is present at this time.

Area 51A is permanently closed.

Area 51 and the 600y range are to be operated one at a time. First come first served but if one is being used the other is shut down.  

This is all subject to change at any time and we reserve the right to refuse service and blah blah blah.

We think this is a very good compromise for all parties. And an actual compromise - not "we change everything and you just get to adapt".

We are bringing tannerite back. The range fee will actually decrease if you are only there a few hours. This just gives us a little more visibility on how it is being run back there.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top