Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/9/2017 1:31:52 AM EDT
Apparently I was under a promotion (do cable companies even have regular prices?) and it ended a couple months ago. So I'm looking at other options for TV, I'd like to keep my internet. I don't have a home phone.

I don't need or want HBO or any of the premium stuff. I really don't even watch much mainstream channels. Mostly stuff that you can't get for free over the air or I'd go that route. Anyone have good experiences with something other than traditional cable around here?

I haven't called them yet to see what they'll offer me, I'll probably do that after I explore some options.

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 4:17:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I had an existing dish on the home I bought... and it sucked. It's cheaper than Spectrum but a few clouds/storm and the cable was done for. In Florida that's nearly everyday in the summer so it wore on me more than I thought. The Direct TV internet was through AT&T, it too sucked. It was fairly slow for modern standards and many times it simply "cut out". It was just a lot of aggravation to save a little bit of money.

Spectrum is currently offering an Internet/Basic TV/Home Phone package for $90.00 with a final monthly bill of about $109 a month. That's too much for me considering I'm not big on sitting around watching TV.

I ended up getting just internet for $45.00 (through Spectrum) and an Amazon Firestick with a certain app and it suits me just fine. I can get live local and national news, weather, any TV shows on AMC/FOX/ABC/etc etc. With the aftermarket app, it's like premium cable/Netflix and you can watch damn near anything. In other words, I stream all my media content at this point and its pretty damn awesome and at HD quality or better!

I have no desire to go back to cable at this point.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 12:28:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the response. I checked out the Firestick. Very interesting. The reviews listed quite a few options and apps for various things. I had no idea some of that was available.

Most stuff I watch I record and watch later. I didn't think that would be an option yet it appears with some different services you can either look back a number of days or in the case of Playstation Vue, actually save it. I'll have to work out the pricing and see what, if anything, Spectrum offers me but it looks like it would be less expensive even if I subscribed to some things.

Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 5:16:29 PM EDT
[#3]
lol, I knew this was going to go this way. I called Brighthouse today and asked what I could do to lower my bill, the rep said you are already on a promotion and are getting the lowest price. Really? $151 for cable and internet? Yep. So I asked what promotion I was on, because as far as I know I've never been on one. He said it's the bundle. At that point I started laughing. So according to them just to keep my internet would be $69 a month.

I know I can't cancel it and sign up with Spectrum because technically I am a Spectrum customer now. We'll see if I get a call from retention in the next few days. Probably won't unless I call and give them a cancellation date.

I'm thinking of going with FireTV instead of just the Firestick. Mainly because it's faster. So for those with a Firestick, how is Kodi working out? Is anyone using either SlingTV or Playstation Vue?
Link Posted: 3/16/2017 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I've always looked at what promotions they have for new customers in the area and threaten to leave them and they always give me the price.  Spectrum took over Brighthousw in my area and they are horrible.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#5]
My son was down visiting me with his girlfriend and she has the firestick with kobi.. 1st time i ever saw it. Firstick worked fine a little slow but i think its due to TWC internet. Had the lastes movies on it.

When i lived to Fort Myers we had comcast and its much better than TWC..

TWC sucks period... Im paying 170 a month with taxes for phone, internet and two tv's and the kicker is i only own one tv but the cost of just one tv was more than two go figure..

The best option i had when i was in ny with Verizon Fios compared to comcast and TWC it blew the doors off of both them. I had only 4 outages in 10 years when i had it.. 1st was a card issue at the central switching office that took me out for day and the other 3 times were due to no power due to storms.. Longest uptime without a router reboot was 485 days.  I was very impressed with that. Comcast i had to unplug and replug the router in about every 30 days.. TWC is about once a week.

Just as a heads up in Feb i received and email from NYSAG that NYS was suing TWC due to failure to provide speeds advertised for what its worth.. I like to keep track on what communist are pushing in NYS. oops i mean liberals.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
lol, I knew this was going to go this way. I called Brighthouse today and asked what I could do to lower my bill, the rep said you are already on a promotion and are getting the lowest price. Really? $151 for cable and internet? Yep. So I asked what promotion I was on, because as far as I know I've never been on one. He said it's the bundle. At that point I started laughing. So according to them just to keep my internet would be $69 a month.

I know I can't cancel it and sign up with Spectrum because technically I am a Spectrum customer now. We'll see if I get a call from retention in the next few days. Probably won't unless I call and give them a cancellation date.

I'm thinking of going with FireTV instead of just the Firestick. Mainly because it's faster. So for those with a Firestick, how is Kodi working out? Is anyone using either SlingTV or Playstation Vue?
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top