Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2017 9:14:00 AM EDT
http://www.wftv.com/news/local/florida-lawmakers-push-for-protection-of-black-bears/498647079

watch the GOP Senate and House climb all over this anti hunting bill, support it, and kill bear hunting forever in Florida

SEMINOLE COUNTY, Fla. - Two state senators have introduced legislation that would protect black bears and their habitat in Florida.

State Sen. Linda Stewart, D-Orlando, filed legislation that would establish a fund for local governments for the purchase of bear-proof trash cans.

Lake County residents get quick fix to trash cans to help with bear encounters
The bill would also prohibit a bear hunt in Florida for 10 years, until 2027.

The state previously approved a bear hunt that began in 2015.

"We robbed their house. We burned it down, and when they came into the street, we shot them from being in the street, and that's not right," said Chuck O'Neal, president of Speak Up Wekvia.

"At a time when Florida's native black bears are facing several threats to their habitat, it is our obligation to ensure the preservation of the iconic species as well as the safety of our neighborhoods," Stewart said in a news release.

Senate Bill 1304 is a companion bill to House Bill 491, which has been introduced in the Florida House by Rep. Amy Mercado, D - Orlando.

"By protecting Florida black bear habitats and their food sources, we in turn limit bear-human conflicts and ultimately are closer to ensuring the public's safety," said Mercado in a news release.

"I see bears probably three times a week. We have a lot in our neighborhood, some on the trail," said resident Peter Leduc.

Wildlife officials took more than 300 bear-related calls last year in Seminole County.

The bill would also protect palmetto berries, a staple of a bear's diet. Anyone caught stealing them could face a third-degree misdemeanor charge.

Susan Smith, the director of FWC's community relation's office, sent a statement to Channel 9's Julie Salomone: “We are aware of this proposed legislation and will work with our elected officials to help provide information and address questions as it moves through the legislative process."
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an occasional bear and live in town.

Maybe they need thinned a bit.

I also get an occasional panther. So,...  Had panther laying in my backyard grass couple of months ago.

Panthers thin our neighborhood of kitties once in a while.

Come to think of it,... Son and his daughter live in town in a stilt house next to a woods.

Him and his daughter were up on the screened porch with the door open. Kitty was with them.

Coyote came up the steps and grabbed said kitty right in front of them.

Sounds more like we need to declare a small war on critters.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 5:40:55 PM EDT
[#2]
I AM HRE :

where do you live??

I am near ft myers I never see a thing. & I go out looking on occasion.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I AM HRE :

where do you live??

I am near ft myers I never see a thing. & I go out looking on occasion.
View Quote

South Naples, plenty of wooded areas around here and I wasn't exaggerating.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

South Naples, plenty of wooded areas around here and I wasn't exaggerating.
View Quote

I'm not calling you a liar I go to 6 mile, corkscrew , and big cypress regularly looking for panthers . I have never even found a clawed up tree
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 3:04:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I was laughing my ass off on the tree hugger moron when he spoke at the news gathering the other day.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm not calling you a liar I go to 6 mile, corkscrew , and big cypress regularly looking for panthers . I have never even found a clawed up tree
View Quote

You'll never find Texas cougar (a.k.a. panther) when you go looking for one.Friends and I ran into 2 panthers at a hunt camp in Immokalee 2 or 3 years ago and saw another one in orange grove near by.   Plenty of bears in the same area.  Saw one cross a canal to get to a feeder while I was 40 yards away.  Had another one sit under my tree stand for couple hours while I was hunting.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top