Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2017 12:58:05 AM EDT
I'm from MN and will be relocating to FL later this year or in 2018. What's the golfing scene like in FL? I know there are courses everywhere, but will I have to resort to pairing with people that might have a heart attack on the course? Is there a decent number of younger golfers (I'm lower 30's) in FL?

It also appears that a lot of courses are private? Are public golf courses common down there? I'll be spending 2-3 weeks this summer checking out areas of interest, so I'm sure I'll find out more then. Any advice in the meantime would be great!
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:42:49 AM EDT
[#1]
There are plenty of courses to golf at, even many of the private courses allow public use in the summer months.  Golf's popularity has dropped off so courses have had to get in traffic if they want to stay open.  Depending on what part of FL you're in you may or may not get paired up with some older people, but I've never had to perform CPR on any of them yet.  If you want to golf alone then get a tee time between noon and 3pm during the summer months...you'll have most of the course to yourself.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 5:10:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks, I'm just used to a younger crowd of golfers here in MN. In college I used to golf every morning with the retired guys before I had classes that day. They were a lot of fun, but I like golfing with people my age too.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 7:15:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Can you be a little more specific as to where in Florida? There are plenty of golf courses, that will never be your problem. Generally speaking, we have an older population. No way to get around that. That being said, There are people your age too, you just may have to seek them out.

I am in the Ft. Myers area. This time of year you will probably pay $75 and up for a round with a cart. If you have the google, you can get prices a little more specific. Now when summer rolls around.....prices drop like a rock!!! You can get an afternoon special for $20-$25 after 3 pm. That being said, we usually get rain in the summer around that time. But as you will learn here quickly....if you don't like the weather, wait a while, it will change! A thunderstorm in the summer may be 20-45 minutes long. So Overall I think you will find a great choice of courses to chose from and will be able to find several that will fit your needs.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 12:32:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Sky is the limit when it comes to golfing in Florida.

The GolfNow app on your phone is a great way to play.  

I am in Jacksonville area, you can pretty much always get on the App the night before and find a tee time at a course within reasonable driving distance and price.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 4:01:18 PM EDT
[#5]
A golf course is a horrible way to waste a RIFLE RANGE
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:30:26 PM EDT
[#6]
There are subdivision and even trailer parks with their own private courses.
Boggles my mind at times, so many golf courses everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 9:38:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in Jacksonville and am 32 years old.  There is actually a good amount of "our age" people who play up here. I second the GolfNow app. Can usually pick up a round during the week for $15-$30
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#8]
golf is $100 in the winter $29 in the summer aprox at least in the south FL area.  cheaper in other spots.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 4:50:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A golf course is a horrible way to waste a RIFLE RANGE
View Quote

A tired and stupid saying. A typical golf course does not lend itself well to target shooting. Too many turns/obstructions. Maybe a neat 3-gun course at some, though, 'cept for the houses.

OP, this is Florida. "Diverse" describes our golf scene in every way. Wherever you land you'll probably have ~5 courses within a short drive and you'll find one that works for you. All ages, all skill levels are represented.

I found a public course with lots of trees, because I got tired of hitting houses.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 11:10:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Can you be a little more specific as to where in Florida? There are plenty of golf courses, that will never be your problem. Generally speaking, we have an older population. No way to get around that. That being said, There are people your age too, you just may have to seek them out.

I am in the Ft. Myers area. This time of year you will probably pay $75 and up for a round with a cart. If you have the google, you can get prices a little more specific. Now when summer rolls around.....prices drop like a rock!!! You can get an afternoon special for $20-$25 after 3 pm. That being said, we usually get rain in the summer around that time. But as you will learn here quickly....if you don't like the weather, wait a while, it will change! A thunderstorm in the summer may be 20-45 minutes long. So Overall I think you will find a great choice of courses to chose from and will be able to find several that will fit your needs.
View Quote

Anywhere but Dade, Broward, Palm Beach and Monroe counties. Somewhere closer to the coast though as would probably purchase a boat eventually for fishing. Right now I'm leaning towards something between Fort Meyers and Tampa due to the proximity of manatee shooting range.

I would also most likely join as a member at one course, but also like playing other courses to keep things fresh and interesting. Last year I golfed over 100 rounds... and that's in the tundra compared to FL. I'm also open to other areas too though. I think the east coast might offer better fishing opportunities, but I'm not sure. I also like scuba diving on occasion, and I could see myself diving for lobster when the season is open.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 3:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks, I'm just used to a younger crowd of golfers here in MN. In college I used to golf every morning with the retired guys before I had classes that day. They were a lot of fun, but I like golfing with people my age too.
View Quote
You could always stay in MN
Link Posted: 3/22/2017 10:53:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You could always stay in MN
View Quote
That's not happening. I'm over MN winters and the stupid liberals in the metro area.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 3:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Not to worry. All the really old and slow golfers get eaten by gators.
Link Posted: 3/25/2017 10:31:41 AM EDT
[#14]
In Florida, you can't walk 100 yards without tripping over a sand trap. There's plenty of golf courses. Florida has more golf courses than any other state, and by a wide margin. You should have no problem finding a tee time.

This is one of many resources for golf in Florida:

Florida golf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top