Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/11/2017 1:30:22 AM EDT
Recently got my concealed weapon license and would like to know everyone's thoughts on the companies advertising insurance for concealed carry permit holders. Is it worth it, or a scam? If legit, which do you use?
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 9:20:49 PM EDT
[#1]
We partnered with US law Shield. It seems pretty straight forward, $10.95 a month, no cap, no money out of pocket. You do not pay up front and get reimbursed. 24 hour emergency contact number if you get arrested.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:11:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Ask around about local criminal defense lawyers. Find one and carry their card in wallet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2017 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Ask around about local criminal defense lawyers. Find one and carry their card in wallet.
View Quote

If this is the course you decide to take make sure you find out what their retainer is and set that aside as well. There is a big difference between carrying a business card in your wallet and actually having legal counsel on retainer.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 7:55:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I'd take my chances on just having a firearms friendly attorney to call over paying $125/yr for insurance that you have a .000001% chance of needing, especially with the Castle Doctrine and SYG laws.  It's all in your comfort level of course so YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 4:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'd take my chances on just having a firearms friendly attorney to call over paying $125/yr for insurance that you have a .000001% chance of needing, especially with the Castle Doctrine and SYG laws.  It's all in your comfort level of course so YMMV.
View Quote

excellent point.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:38:33 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any decent attorney is going to cost you a minimum of $250 per hour so $125 a year doesn't sound to bad to me and most attorneys will not talk to you unless you have them on retainer or provide them a credit card number.

US Law Shield is run by firearms friendly attorneys. The membership card has two phone numbers on it. One of them is for members to call whenever they have a question. You can call this number as much as you want and there is no charge.

The other number is a 24 hour emergency number you call in the event of the .000001% chance you need it. When you call it an attorney answers the phone, not an answering service, not a paralegal or office assistant.

SYG laws and Castle Doctrine are legal protections that can keep you from being prosecuted but the sad reality is a lot of prosecutors do not care about those protections as they are looking to make a name for themselves. In this case it is going to take an attorney to keep your backside out of the fire and if you don't have an attorney on retainer or the money or collateral to put one on retainer you are going to be spending some time in the county bed and breakfast.

The chances of you using your firearm in self-defense are probably a little higher than .00001% but the chances of you needing an attorney after self-defense is at least 50%.
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 12:13:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Any decent attorney is going to cost you a minimum of $250 per hour so $125 a year doesn't sound to bad to me and most attorneys will not talk to you unless you have them on retainer or provide them a credit card number.

US Law Shield is run by firearms friendly attorneys. The membership card has two phone numbers on it. One of them is for members to call whenever they have a question. You can call this number as much as you want and there is no charge.

The other number is a 24 hour emergency number you call in the event of the .000001% chance you need it. When you call it an attorney answers the phone, not an answering service, not a paralegal or office assistant.

SYG laws and Castle Doctrine are legal protections that can keep you from being prosecuted but the sad reality is a lot of prosecutors do not care about those protections as they are looking to make a name for themselves. In this case it is going to take an attorney to keep your backside out of the fire and if you don't have an attorney on retainer or the money or collateral to put one on retainer you are going to be spending some time in the county bed and breakfast.

The chances of you using your firearm in self-defense are probably a little higher than .00001% but the chances of you needing an attorney after self-defense is at least 50%.
View Quote

The chances of someone needing an attorney after a self defense shooting is 100% IMO, because one should never discuss things with the police without availing oneself of the services of an attorney first.

"I'll be happy to cooperate and  speak with you regarding this matter but only with the advice and presence of my attorney."
Link Posted: 2/18/2017 8:15:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The chances of someone needing an attorney after a self defense shooting is 100% IMO, because one should never discuss things with the police without availing oneself of the services of an attorney first.

"I'll be happy to cooperate and  speak with you regarding this matter but only with the advice and presence of my attorney."
View Quote

I agree. In my classes that is pretty much exactly what I tell people to say.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:59:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
We partnered with US law Shield. It seems pretty straight forward, $10.95 a month, no cap, no money out of pocket. You do not pay up front and get reimbursed. 24 hour emergency contact number if you get arrested.
View Quote
I just joined them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top