Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/10/2017 10:16:43 AM EDT
I'd like to get SCUBA certified. Prices for certification appear to vary wildly depending on location. I can travel anywhere in the state or neighboring states or islands to go get the certification. I'm aware that I can't fly within 24 hours of my last dive and staying an extra day is no issue.

Can I get some recommendations?
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 11:43:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Underwater Adventures
Leesburg, FL
352-787-0760

He also does FFL transfers...
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 1:55:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Deep Six Divers...
1631 E Edgewood Dr, Lakeland, FL 33803

Takes about 2 months as they do a lot more than those shity weekend deals on the coast and you will actually know what you are doing afterwards.

I think you can setup one on one to get through it faster, but I'm sure it will cost more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2017 8:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Have to decide whether to take open water check out in springs or ocean.Both have advantages.
Ocean I would choose Key Largo, springs north florida. Both can be chilly this time of year.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 9:02:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 8:40:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got certified at Quiescence in Key Largo when I was 12 (1992). They are still there. Awesome experience.
View Quote

I work out of Fort Lauderdale.

Underseas Sports
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:31:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I did it out of John Pennekamp state park.

http://pennekamppark.com/scuba-tours/

Nick F. was my instructor.  I have a cell for him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 3:36:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 4:19:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Underwater Adventures
Leesburg, FL
352-787-0760

He also does FFL transfers...
View Quote

well that is close to here I live

thanks for posting this
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#9]
We are halfway through the course now. Ended up going with a place in Sarasota. The girlfriend got us a deal for $200 that included everything except fins, snorkel and mask. We went ahead and signed up for Nitrox certification for an extra $100 so we have it. I also bought a dive watch for $185; after doing the dive tables and realizing the impact of having to take the most conservative approach, it seemed a worthwhile investment. For our open-water dives, the instructor wanted to do a road trip to Key Largo, but we have a mother in the class who can't get coverage for her kids so it looks like we'll be going to Avon Park or somewhere in Sarasota depending on the weather.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

If you ever do make it to Key Largo check out the link I posted. It's been a long time but IIRC correctly they only take 6 people out on the boat.
View Quote

Quiescence only runs 6 packs
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 10:36:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

That's what I thought. We used to take them when we didn't feel like cleaning or fueling up the boat. Our condo was at MM 104 so it was a short drive.
View Quote

I have a student that uses them for nearly all his and his wife's diving since getting certified. He likes their small operation and personalized service.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 6:33:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Somewhere in the keys. The water there is so damn nice... Gulf coast is kinda murky, don't know about the east coast but the keys are awesome.

Just saw Sarasota. You gonna dive the Regina on longboat key? Maybe take a boat out somewhere deeper??
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 10:40:37 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Somewhere in the keys. The water there is so damn nice... Gulf coast is kinda murky, don't know about the east coast but the keys are awesome.

Just saw Sarasota. You gonna dive the Regina on longboat key? Maybe take a boat out somewhere deeper??
View Quote

Water clarity on either coast depends highly on rainfall. The less rain, the less runoff, the better the clarity.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Well, I'm certified. Having had a lot of instruction in things where safety matters, I felt like the quality of instruction that I received was top-notch and the young lady teaching the course was excellent. We went ahead and got certified for Nitrox as well.

The price was good ($199) and the experience was certainly challenging. In the "open water" dive the visibility was so bad that I couldn't see my fins on my feet. For the second set of dives, we went to a lake in central florida. The visibility there may've been around 15ft, which I also thought was good for training as you had to keep your SA strong to not lose anybody. The guided dive I did in Cozumel last month was extreme clear in perfect conditions and I thought the less-than-ideal conditions for the training dives were a great for experience. I certainly would have no interest in diving in such poor visibility if I were doing a recreational dive.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 5:56:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Cozumel is freaking awesome for diving! Some of our springs up north are good too. Water here varies but it is rare to get 8 foot of viz.
If you go offshore at least a few miles you might get 40 feet if the stars are aligned right.
Link Posted: 3/1/2017 10:32:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Cozumel is freaking awesome for diving! Some of our springs up north are good too. Water here varies but it is rare to get 8 foot of viz.
If you go offshore at least a few miles you might get 40 feet if the stars are aligned right.
View Quote

You should come South. Vis in West Palm to Miami is 40 on a bad day. Winter time with no rain we get 100+. The keys are typically better since they have less runoff.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 2:37:37 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
We are halfway through the course now. Ended up going with a place in Sarasota. The girlfriend got us a deal for $200 that included everything except fins, snorkel and mask. We went ahead and signed up for Nitrox certification for an extra $100 so we have it. I also bought a dive watch for $185; after doing the dive tables and realizing the impact of having to take the most conservative approach, it seemed a worthwhile investment. For our open-water dives, the instructor wanted to do a road trip to Key Largo, but we have a mother in the class who can't get coverage for her kids so it looks like we'll be going to Avon Park or somewhere in Sarasota depending on the weather.
View Quote

Our instructor referred to that portion of the class as "dive computer appreciation class". 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top