Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/1/2017 5:52:07 PM EDT
I'm looking at property in Yulee that is 10 acres and it's square, so roughly 700x700 feet.  Is that large enough to build range to shoot on?  How do I find out if it's even legal in that area?  Speak to the tax assessor?  I'm not sure if FL municipalities have discharge laws (like my old hometown in NJ) but I'd be interested in buying he land to ride quads, drop a trailer and shoot.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
Florida State law preempts all county, local, and municipal law regarding this matter.

And yes; home ranges are still legal in Florida under state law under the following circumstances.

www.thegunwriter.com/20150/column-backyard-range-law-explained/
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Everything you need to know can be  found Here
in Florida Statutes 790.

In answer to your question, The Florida legislature has occupied all firearms law and regulation for the State of Florida. No municipality or local government can make firearms law, and any in existence are null & void.( 790.33)

So, All you have to worry about is state law, which recently changed to require that you live in a rural area with lot sizes of 1 acre or more to set up a shooting range.

With 10 acres, you are good to go.

The law has loopholes big enough to drive a truck through anyway.

As long as you keep your bullets on your own property, it's very hard to be prosecuted for shooting a gun in Florida. If you are landing rounds at your neighbors house, that's a 'hole nother can O' Worms, negligent discharge and all that.

Florida is very friendly to shooters, and ranges, and the laws are written in a pro shooter way .
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:02:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Thought 10 acres was 660 X 660?
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:41:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

It is
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 8:52:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes it is, this lot  is a bit over and not perfectly square. I copy and pasted something else I was working in.  It's roughly 700x700 in this particular case.  The lot is just a bit under 490,000 sq/ft.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 9:23:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Everything you need to know can be  found Here
in Florida Statutes 790.

In answer to your question, The Florida legislature has occupied all firearms law and regulation for the State of Florida. No municipality or local government can make firearms law, and any in existence are null & void.( 790.33)

So, All you have to worry about is state law, which recently changed to require that you live in a rural area with lot sizes of 1 acre or more to set up a shooting range.

With 10 acres, you are good to go.

The law has loopholes big enough to drive a truck through anyway.

As long as you keep your bullets on your own property, it's very hard to be prosecuted for shooting a gun in Florida. If you are landing rounds at your neighbors house, that's a 'hole nother can O' Worms, negligent discharge and all that.

Florida is very friendly to shooters, and ranges, and the laws are written in a pro shooter way .
View Quote

Thanks for,the links, I'll read this over.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 1:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Hmmm...FIL just bought a house on 4 acres that backs up to a 'preserve'. Looks like it's time to setup a .22 range
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top