Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 4:33:12 PM EDT
Originally posted to the Florida CCW, NR, etc. pinned thread.  Things seem a little slow there, so I reposted as a new topic here.

I live in Ohio and have an Ohio CCW permit.

I recently bought a second home in Florida which will be a vacation home at least for now. Ohio will continue to be my primary residence and I will continue to work from Ohio. I'm guessing that I'll spend a couple of months tops in Florida until I retire in a few years. For what it's worth other family members (wife & grown kids) will be in and out of the Florida home.

1 - What are my options right now in terms of purchasing a handgun in Florida? Does owning a home in Florida affect what would otherwise be a prohibited transaction?

2 - CCW permits - Florida has reciprocity with Ohio. Is there any reason to get a Florida permit?

3 - I don't see any benefit to becoming a Florida resident (except possibly homestead) and don't even think I could qualify.

4 - Anything else to consider?

Thanks, I skimmed this thread and didn't see any of this covered.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 4:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
If you find an FFL that understands the rules you can.  You will need a government document that shows a Florida address.  FTF is GTG.

From ATF FAQ:

May a person who resides in one State and owns property in another State purchase a firearm in either State?

If a person maintains a home in 2 States and resides in both States for certain periods of the year, he or she may, during the period of time the person actually resides in a particular State, purchase a firearm in that State. However, simply owning property in another State does not alone qualify the person to purchase a firearm in that State.

[27 CFR 478.11]

https://www.atf.gov/questions-and-answers/qa/may-person-who-resides-one-state-and-owns-property-another-state-purchase
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 7:58:51 AM EDT
[#2]
If you become a FL resident you get the homestead exemption and there's no state income tax.  Getting a FL CCW isn't necessary but can't hurt either, and you'll already have it done when you do move here if you get it now.

What part of Ohio?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What part of Ohio?
View Quote

I'm still working up north in Cincinnati, so taxes aren't an issue.  Homestead would be nice, but I can't do it yet.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 6:49:27 PM EDT
[#4]
ATF from 4473 explains multi-state resident purchases.  If you own a home in more than one state, even for vacation, your state of residence on the 4473 is the state you are in that day.  You don't need a FL D/L but need a government document e.g. Tax bill to prove residency--tax doc is the example on the 4473.  I still own my home in NJ and occasionally buy there but some FFL's dont' know the rule and neither do some private sellers, but the laws there suck so I get peoples trepidation.  However, before I changed D/L's I had no issue down here buying anything including NFA items.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 8:26:05 PM EDT
[#5]
In reality I'm not in the market for any handguns at the moment.  I'm just trying to be ready in the event I stumble into a great deal / impulse buy.  While we're at it what is the gun climate in the Ft. Myers / Naples area?  I know about the Alamo, but what about auctions, gunshows, etc.  I generally don't buy many new guns and only have a few wants that I'd jump on at the right price.  I have more disposable money than desire if that makes any sense.
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:07:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
In reality I'm not in the market for any handguns at the moment.  I'm just trying to be ready in the event I stumble into a great deal / impulse buy.  While we're at it what is the gun climate in the Ft. Myers / Naples area?  I know about the Alamo, but what about auctions, gunshows, etc.  I generally don't buy many new guns and only have a few wants that I'd jump on at the right price.  I have more disposable money than desire if that makes any sense.
View Quote

There are a few shops in Fort Myers.....Fowler  Firearms, Shoot Straight and a few others that I can't remember their names.  As far as gun shows, there is one held at the Lee County Civic Center I believe 4 or 5 times a year.  I go once in awhile to kill a few hours.  It's nothing to write home about and like most nowadays, unless you know the price of the item you want, it's no great deal.
Link Posted: 2/1/2017 5:30:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I'm still working up north in Cincinnati, so taxes aren't an issue.  Homestead would be nice, but I can't do it yet.
View Quote

Yeah me either, maybe next year.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top