Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2017 1:15:44 PM EDT
My wife and I are going to be going to Pensacola to attend Pensacon in mid February so she can meet some authors she likes. I would like some ideas for places for us to eat and some side stuff to do. I may have a couple of days to kill while she is at the con and may be forced to entertain myself.
I have contacted a fishing Charter I found to maybe spend a half day catching some fish, I don't care to deal with transporting them home, and just want to catch some stuff I have never caught before.
Shoot me any other ideas or if you are willing to take a KY boy out to catch some fish for gas beer and time money let me know. LOL If I can sneak away for a day and bust a hog I will do that too.
Link Posted: 1/29/2017 5:25:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Naval Museum is a cool place to go. I can spend most of the day there.  Fort Pickens, Fort Barrancas.

As far as eating, lots of places downtown near where PensaCon will be held. FishHouse, Hub Stacy's, Atlas, Peg Leg Pete's on the beach. Jerry's Drive-in off of Scenic for a burger. Cajun Specialty Meats behind McGuire's.   McGuire's.  Tin Cow downtown.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 2:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Naval Museum is a cool place to go. I can spend most of the day there.  Fort Pickens, Fort Barrancas.

As far as eating, lots of places downtown near where PensaCon will be held. FishHouse, Hub Stacy's, Atlas, Peg Leg Pete's on the beach. Jerry's Drive-in off of Scenic for a burger. Cajun Specialty Meats behind McGuire's.   McGuire's.  Tin Cow downtown.
View Quote

A guy at work said there is an amazing place down there that has the best muffaletta he ever had. Any idears?
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 9:18:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Goat Lips?
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Not sure. Maybe goat lips. I'll ask around. I can't think of anything right now.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 6:15:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not there any more. Different Cajun place now. Haven't tried it yet
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 11:11:39 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Didn't know it changed.  I ate there right after the first of the year.  Whatever it's called, it was good food.  They also do wild game processing. Do,you happen to know the name now?
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 7:13:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Broussards
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 4:32:29 PM EDT
[#8]
you can take a short drive to mobile and see the USS Alabama.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 1:11:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the info on the local chow, so liking Cajun food appears to be a good thing going down to Pensacola!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 2:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thanks for all the info on the local chow, so liking Cajun food appears to be a good thing going down to Pensacola!
View Quote

There's a lot of different food choices around the downtown area. Just depends on what you're in the mood for. Whatever it is, you should have no problem finding it fairly close to the core area of town.
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Hip Pocket is likely where your friend got his muffuletta.

Seafood: Peg Leg Pete's (on the beach).
Cajun/Creole: Cub's Crawfish (if they are open).
Burger: Meguire's, O'Riley's Irish Pub(Downtown), or The Blue Dot. O's also has good pub style food.
Steak/Tapas: Global Grill.
Vietnamese Food: Saigon Market and Deli.
Japanese food: Shan Kishi Japanese Hibachi
Sushi: Nom Sushi
New Yorker Deli.
Food truck in front of City Hall, lunch only, is called Nomadic Eats, go there, everything is phenomenal. Not to be confused with the Airstream trailers on Palafox.
Taco Mexicano's is good if you want traditional tacos.

Shuck's Oyster bar is pretty good as well. Jackson's for fine dining, but Global is better. Khan's is okay. Jaco's is pretty okay too.

Places I wouldn't go: The Fish House/Atlas (over-priced, been told the seafood is frozen, if you want to pay for the view then go at lunch), Maguire's for pub/Irish food, steaks (I think they are over-priced as well, not on their burgers, and I don't think the steaks are that great). vPauls (worst Italian food I have ever had). Someone mentioned Jerry's Drive-In (it's a greasy spoon, the burgers are marginal at best). Cajun Specialty Meat/Broussard's (still the same owner, marginal food that comes out of a bag, their crawfish are terrible). World Of Beer's food is also terrible.

Go to the Naval Aviation Museum, Ft. Picken's is pretty okay, drive over to Mobile and see the USS Alabama, that's really about it.

Tip your bartender.

The Friday on PensaCon is going to be Gallery Night, Downtown usually gets crazy.

If you drive through Gulf Breeze, follow every fricken' traffic law to the letter, they have nothing better to do but pull people over.
Link Posted: 2/8/2017 10:15:41 AM EDT
[#12]
Pensacola Naval Air Museum and USS Alabama in Mobile as others have said.
Do not forget that the restaurant in the Naval Air Museum is the Subic Bay Officer's club.  It is not a reproduction.  When the Philippine government wanted America to leave the Subic Naval Air Station, the officer's club was torn down, put in sea containers and reconstructed in the Pensacola museum.  All the awards, helmets and memorabilia are still there from all the air groups that went to the Pacific.  If you time it right, you can see the Blue Angels perform their whole show right on the flight line behind the museum for free.  Take hearing protection.  Go for the Lighthouse tour just across the road from the museum.  The lighthouse has the duplicate, mirror image houses attached because it took two families to keep the lighthouse going in the pre-electricity days. The view from the top of the light house is fantastic.   Also,  Geronimo's wife is buried at the Veterans National Cemetery(known as Barrancas).  The cemetery is at the end of one of the runways so again you might want to take hearing protection.  
The one not mentioned is the Armament museum at Eglin Air Force Base just east of Pensacola.  A small museum that most people can tour in an hour or so.  If you know about armament, you can spend four hours there.  Lots of static aircraft displays outside.  A very nice display of American small arms and America's enemies' small arms.
If you go to the USS Alabama, there is a great SR71 Blackbird on display inside the building.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 9:51:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Got back from the trip late last night.

Pensacon was a fucking letdown. Way too many people in the small space. We didn't realize that the venues were all over the place in five different physical locations. I did buy a piece of art that Bob Camp the co creator of Ren and Stimpy signed and talked with him for a bit, he was cool as hell.
Best place we ate in my opinion was Spyro's Gyros right by the red fish blue fish, which was the overall worst place.

We ate at the global grill we shared a bottle of red wine and the below tapas. The server was way too chatty and tried too hard to sell us on menu items, also talking about all the restaurants you opened and then seeing you as a server tells me you probably suck at running a restaurant.
steak carpaccio was an amazing combination of textures and flavors.
Tenderloin tail, the waiter tried to explain that tenderloin tail was some magical rare piece of meat somehow better than the tenderloin in which is comes off of.  I dont care for rare steak, this steak was seared and cold in the middle, wife said it was the best steak she ever had I gagged at one point as I don't care for the rare steak texture.
Charcuterie plate was hot garbage, everything tasted the same and had too much smoke. I was seriously let down by this.
The wife said the raw Tuna was amazing, I don't like raw fish.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top