Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2017 2:35:45 PM EDT
This site is pulling info from public sources on virtually every individual in the United States, making it easy for anyone to find your address, DOB, relatives and associates, all for free.
Read more:
http://time.com/money/4634434/family-tree-now-opt-out-protect-yourself/

Site is familytreenow.com
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I did that when it was posted in GD and just checked they removed my info
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 11:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Appreciate the heads up. Just removed myself from the site.  It was eerie how much info they had.... they had my step siblings from one of my mothers marriages 20 years ago as possible contacts....  weird.  Thanks for the info man.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 1:23:00 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appreciate the heads up. Just removed myself from the site.  It was eerie how much info they had.... they had my step siblings from one of my mothers marriages 20 years ago as possible contacts....  weird.  Thanks for the info man.
View Quote
Glad it helped. They literally have everyone, even people you're not supposed to find on free online searches.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Holy shit.  Yeah that's not cool, thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:03:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Just checked and no info on me
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:46:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Just checked and no info on me
View Quote

Be sure to run your shortened name too (if you have one), and common misspellings. That's how I had to find myself. If anything, a search on a close relative will pull up your info as well.

Thanks op.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately there are several sites that do this and you'll probably never get off of all of them.  One I used to use for work was www.intelius.com and another is www.beenverified.com
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:09:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Removed mine and it worked . The information they had on me for address was not correct . They had my ex wifes address . I am sure 30 other sites have the same information
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 10:42:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Removed mine and it worked . The information they had on me for address was not correct . They had my ex wifes address . I am sure 30 other sites have the same information
View Quote

That's how it was for me when I checked.

They had a smattering of correct information surrounded by lots of misinformation.

I didn't "opt out" because I don't want to verify that any of information they have on me  represents that of a real person.

I have a feeling that although they'll drop you from that particular website, they use people's opting out to increase confidence in their database which is available elsewhere.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 3:48:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Done thanks didn't know that existed
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 6:47:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Unfortunately there are several sites that do this and you'll probably never get off of all of them.  One I used to use for work was www.intelius.com and another is www.beenverified.com
View Quote

From what I've seen, this is perhaps one of the few if not the only one that allows completely free searches without a credit card or registration.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:40:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the info. This Family Tree Now, got me searching for more opt outs, so here are more opt out sites.

https://www.worldprivacyforum.org/2015/08/consumer-tips-top-ten-opt-outs/

http://www.techlicious.com/tip/remove-yourself-spokeo-intelius-peoplesmart-mylife/

https://www.beenverified.com/f/optout/search

https://www.intelius.com/optout "The photo and driver's license number should be crossed out"
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 1:38:46 PM EDT
[#13]
i had 4 different records; full first name, short first name, real last name and misspelled last name. check your names (mike/micheal, dan/daniel, david/dave, etc)

will see in a couple of days, if they're all gone. i owe the op at least 9000 internets!!!!
Link Posted: 1/19/2017 12:53:56 AM EDT
[#14]
lol

Has the right name and family/associates (some of it is weird, like a roommate I lived with for a fairly short period of time), but they have me as double my current age, my childhood home (in a different state) is listed as "current address" and it only has one of the addresses I've lived at in the past 10 years (the oldest one).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top