Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 12/8/2016 1:52:20 PM EDT
Nothing passed this year except for Burden of Proof SB-128.

The FL GOP killed the pro gun bills via committee. Republicans like Sen. Anitere Flores, Sen. Rene Garcia, and Speaker of the House Richard Corcoran. 

The NRA was weak this year. Which by the way Marion Hammer was paid $256,000 last year.

When will gun owners demand action? When will the NRA demand action?
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:24:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's hoping!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:35:38 PM EDT
[#2]
1.  Thank you for the thread OP.
2.  Thank you for the campaigning OP.
3.  Thanks for being a terrible JBT OP
4.  It's late in the day, but I don't understand this proposed 6005 bill.  The way I read this, the bill is simply deleting the campus carry prohibition, not adding open carry everywhere.  Lines 14-16 are the current law, and open carry in that context is referencing the current [extremely limited] open carry ability [camping, fishing, etc].

ETA: Deleting the college campus lines in this way would mean someone could CC anytime on college grounds or OC on college grounds only if fishing, camping, etc; but not real open carry, on or off campus.  I don't think that's the intent of the bill.

The bill from last year that died in committee is written much more clearly on the open carry rights restoration:
https://www.flsenate.gov/Session/Bill/2016/0163/BillText/e1/PDF
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 6:15:59 PM EDT
[#3]
I will re-read the text on both bills and come up with an opinion.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:31:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe, just maybe, they're leaving the OC language in there so it doesn't have to be amended if they ever can grow the balls to allow OC statewide
? (yeah, wishful thinking I know)

Thanks for the thread and updates JBT!
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:11:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe, just maybe, they're leaving the OC language in there so it doesn't have to be amended if they ever can grow the balls to allow OC statewide
? (yeah, wishful thinking I know)

Thanks for the thread and updates JBT!
View Quote

That's what I gathered from it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:44:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Legislators start committee meetings this coming Tuesday (12-13-16). I will try and schedule a meet with Negron.

Edit to add

Will find out who committee chairs are.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 9:05:13 PM EDT
[#7]
No excuses this time.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 11:13:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
No excuses this time.
View Quote

Particularly since that piece of shit Portilla is done.

Who replaced him as Judiciary Chairman?
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:14:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Particularly since that piece of shit Portilla is done.

Who replaced him as Judiciary Chairman?
View Quote

If i heard correctly... The guy that introduced campus carry a year or two ago.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 11:34:16 AM EDT
[#10]
It's time for open carry in Florida damnit!
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 2:29:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Why don't they simply reintroduce the exact same bills that have already been scrutinized and debated  and received all the committee approvals and that  Portilla allegedly killed all by himself?

Unless there was more hidden dealing behind the scenes, the bills should fly through committee,  get voted on, pass both houses, and be on Governor Scott's desk for signature in record time.

They've run out of excuses, we're one of only 5 states that do not recognize the right to open carry anymore and it's disgraceful.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 12:23:19 AM EDT
[#12]
Senate Judiciary Chairman Greg Steube filed SB140.

That's sort of a companion bill to the house ones.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Senate Judiciary Chairman Greg Steube filed SB140.

That's sort of a companion bill to the house ones.
View Quote

So not only did tyrant Portilla get kicked out, his replacement just filed an open carry bill?  This seems to good to be true
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:06:45 PM EDT
[#14]
And here we go again.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:25:24 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Just spoke with Senator Wilton Simpson's office to schedule a face to face meeting over SB 140. Senator Simpson is the Senate Majority Leader for those wondering. His office said a meeting should be possible this coming January.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Called the Speaker of the House's office too. Scheduled a meeting. The receptionist stated that she's had numerous calls into the office both for and against. I just had to explain to her how and what HB 6001 and 6005 is.

You guys need to call.

She specifically said that a number of people are calling and informing her and the Speaker of the House that under Federal Law, it is illegal to carry at an airport. I spent twenty minutes explaining it to her that is not the case. She genuinely asked me since I informed her that I was LE what was the real deal.

CALL AND VOICE SUPPORT FOR HB 6001, HB 6005, AND SB 140!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:16:13 PM EDT
[#18]
I pitched the issue of Airport carry under the impression of self defense while picking up family and being an arrival.

Stated that since no one by law can carry in the non sterile areas. Criminals do some muggings knowing that folks clearing the arrival areas aren't carrying when walking to the car lots. Same with muggings going on, etc...

A couple of cases have happened at MIA so I'm not blowing smoke out of my ass.

Push hard guys. We need a State Win!
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 3:39:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Outstanding work brother!!

As a proud property owner in Florida and a NRA board member, you're doing a great job my friend!!!

I'll talk to you later.......

All my best,

Joe

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 7:20:51 PM EDT
[#20]
We need to keep up the pressure.

Senate President Joe Negron, a Stuart Republican, has made "improving the state's universities a top priority". That means he might try to kill Campus Carry. All the presidents of Florida's universities, and their police chiefs, went on record as strongly opposed to last session's push to let Camous Carry happen.

Negron appointed Senator Randolph Bracy, a freshman Democrat from Orlando, to chair the Senate Committee on Criminal Justice, another panel that could consider bills to determine the fate of SB 140 and any other firearm related bill. Bracy opposed campus carry and open carry as a House member. He might be in a position as a senator to stop these measures single handedly. 

Remember, last session they let Diaz take the heat and killed it in committee. Negron allowed that to happen. 

We need to hit Joe Negron hard.

Senate Committee on Criminal Justice Members

Chair:  Senator Randolph Bracy (D)
Vice Chair:  Senator Dennis Baxley (R)
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 11:40:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Hitting the phones this morning brother......

Great work!
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 1:20:07 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Hitting the phones this morning brother......

Great work!
View Quote

Don't thank me....I'm just a concerned private citizen and a small cog in the wheel. Thank you!

Hopefully Ms. Hammer doesn't get in the way again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 3:35:19 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Don't thank me....I'm just a concerned private citizen and a small cog in the wheel. Thank you!

Hopefully Ms. Hammer doesn't get in the way again.
View Quote

She helped all she could in 2011, she's on our side!  She said so, repeatedly!

She even blamed us!

How can you trust your own lying eyes when a highly paid lobbyist says you're wrong?

Oh, wait...
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Called the Speaker of the House's office too. Scheduled a meeting. The receptionist stated that she's had numerous calls into the office both for and against. I just had to explain to her how and what HB 6001 and 6005 is.

You guys need to call.

She specifically said that a number of people are calling and informing her and the Speaker of the House that under Federal Law, it is illegal to carry at an airport. I spent twenty minutes explaining it to her that is not the case. She genuinely asked me since I informed her that I was LE what was the real deal.

CALL AND VOICE SUPPORT FOR HB 6001, HB 6005, AND SB 140!
View Quote

Local radio talk show was talking about how this bill will allow people to open carry while at a bar and roam around the airport armed going to make some call sin the AM
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Sheriff Ivey of Brevard County personally told me open carry will be passed this year.  He's was 100% certain.  So here we go.............
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 7:28:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Sheriff Ivey of Brevard County personally told me open carry will be passed this year.  He's was 100% certain.  So here we go.............
View Quote

I know he's behind it.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:06:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I hope Lucy doesn't pull the football away again at the last moment like always.

Link Posted: 12/14/2016 2:03:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Woo-hoo!

SB 128: Self-defense Immunity 
GENERAL BILL by Bradley ; (CO-INTRODUCERS) Simpson ;Bean ; Baxley 
Self-defense Immunity; Requiring that the burden of proof in a criminal prosecution be on the party seeking to overcome the immunity claim under certain circumstances, etc. 
Effective Date: Upon becoming a law  
Last Action: 12/8/2016 Senate - Filed 
Bill Text: Web Page | PDF 

New bill in Senate to fix the fuck up that was the 2015 FL Supreme Court case ruling that attempted gut Stand Your Ground. Basically sets it back to being that the Prosecution needs prove criminal intent and not the victim to prove it was self defense. 
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 10:54:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Don't forget the Executive Branch

Executive Office of Governor Rick Scott 
400 S Monroe St 
Tallahassee, FL 32399 
(850) 488-7146 

Click Here to Email Governor Scott 

Click Here to Email Lt. Governor Lopez-Cantera
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 7:34:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome update!

The Senate president has routed the bill around the Criminal Justice Committee. That means Open Carry and Campus Carry has a much better chance of passage and an actual floor vote. 

From tampabay.com:

Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart, has sent SB 140— by Sarasota Republican Sen. Greg Steube — to be heard before three committees, all chaired by conservative Republicans who passionately support gun-owners’ rights. They are: Steube’s Judiciary Committee; Government Oversight & Accountability, chaired by Dennis Baxley of Ocala; and Rules, chaired by Lizbeth Benacquisto of Fort Myers.Committee assignments are a routine step that is typically not significant but, in this case, is quite revealing of Senate leadership’s support for Steube’s wide-ranging measure.Notably: The bill will not be reviewed by the Criminal Justice Committee, a common stop for past gun-related legislation. That committee is now chaired by an Orlando Democrat, Randolph Bracy.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Keep up the great work JBT!

Merry Christmas my friend!
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 7:15:14 AM EDT
[#32]

Link Posted: 12/22/2016 8:32:18 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Awesome update!

The Senate president has routed the bill around the Criminal Justice Committee. That means Open Carry and Campus Carry has a much better chance of passage and an actual floor vote. 

From tampabay.com:

Senate President Joe Negron, R-Stuart, has sent SB 140— by Sarasota Republican Sen. Greg Steube — to be heard before three committees, all chaired by conservative Republicans who passionately support gun-owners’ rights. They are: Steube’s Judiciary Committee; Government Oversight & Accountability, chaired by Dennis Baxley of Ocala; and Rules, chaired by Lizbeth Benacquisto of Fort Myers.Committee assignments are a routine step that is typically not significant but, in this case, is quite revealing of Senate leadership’s support for Steube’s wide-ranging measure.Notably: The bill will not be reviewed by the Criminal Justice Committee, a common stop for past gun-related legislation. That committee is now chaired by an Orlando Democrat, Randolph Bracy.
View Quote

Thanks JBT, I'm really hopeful that this session will finally see our rights recognized by the State of Florida.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:52:38 AM EDT
[#34]
I'd prefer for the open carry bill to not be tied with the language to expand where a CC firearm can be carried.  

I see that as the biggest hurdle to it getting passed.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 3:48:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'd prefer for the open carry bill to not be tied with the language to expand where a CC firearm can be carried.  

I see that as the biggest hurdle to it getting passed.
View Quote

Airport Carry will be the sacrificial goat. The two main goals is Campus Carry and Open Carry. I would love for it to be different but dealing with elected officials is like trying to get laid in High School. A lot of ego stroking, smooth talking, promises made, and give and take. 
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 6:03:34 PM EDT
[#36]
Here's a bit I typed up that might help in an email to, well, anyone

Dear Fellow Floridians,

Although open and campus carry may cause discomfort between us, please consider whether discomfort alone warrants the restriction of an activity.  Who is carrying, what and how are they carrying, and why are they carrying are all justified questions.  Perhaps we can bridge the gap between our perceptions.

Who:  The current proposals expand open carry to the people we already trust with concealed carry.  As issues with concealed carry licensees have not shown themselves to be a societal problem, we hope the “who” of the equation is palatable.

What and how:  These proposals do not change the weapons that licensees may carry; the manner in which they choose to carry may change.  While open carry at the grocery store may be discomforting, at least at first, we believe the calm, polite, and friendly manner in which licensees currently conduct themselves will continue.

Where:  The proposals reduce the number of places carry is prohibited.  In an ironic way, if people see others carrying in the grocery store, they may become more comfortable with carry in other places as well.  In any event, licensees conducting themselves in their usual calm demeanor should not alarm their fellow citizen.

Why:  If licensees choose to carry openly over concealed, their reasons might be as varied as for owning a firearm in the first place.  We are under the impression that licensees are generally good, law-abiding folks and will continue to carry for good, lawful reasons.

Police officers’ jobs:  Police officers would have easier jobs if they didn’t have to get a warrant to enter a house, but we hold privacy dear enough to justify the process.  Likewise, we believe the choice between open and concealed carry is important enough to justify a potential increased challenge to police officers.  Other states’ police departments have adjusted without massive attrition or resentment.

Sheriff and college administration dissent:   We appreciate the thoughtfulness these types of leaders employ in their service and positions respectively, but hold the people, through the legislative process, as the authority on these matters.  We believe each individual has the right to choose to carry, and in what capacity, and that no individual should have the power to restrict the other’s right to do so.

Please consider the opportunity for licensed individuals to carry both concealed and openly by supporting these initiatives.  If by chance doing so is a mistake, we can always change the law in the future. Thank you.
View Quote

ETA: added LEO and College parts. Going to email to the list in the other thread: http://209.251.48.101/forums/t_8_10/609121_.html&page=1&anc=6725899#i6725899
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Senate Judiciary Committee meeting on Tuesday January 10th, 2017 at 2 pm for SB 140.

Please email and phone call them.

In the subject line put: SUPPORT SB 140 – Support the Right to Bear Arms(Copy and Paste All email addresses into the “Send To” box)

[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected];
[email protected]

We need to hit them hard, especially after the bullshit at Fort Lauderdale Airport.

SB 140 is the Senate companion bill to HB 6001
Link Posted: 1/6/2017 9:50:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Update.....

FL Senate Judiciary Committee canceled the meeting.

Meeting Cancel Notice
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:19:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Update.....

Meeting Cancel Notice
View Quote

What does this mean? Rescheduled?
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update.....

Meeting Cancel Notice

No lo sé

I'll find out.
Link Posted: 1/7/2017 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Sent an email to the collective today asking to support SB140 and HB6001
Link Posted: 1/8/2017 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
No lo sé

I'll find out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update.....

Meeting Cancel Notice

No lo sé

I'll find out.

That meeting cancelation notice is pretty short on details. As in no details.

Very interested in knowing what the deal is with that. This has come too far and with Portilla out and Steube in my guess is that this is (hopefully) a very minor delay. Quite possible the FLL shootings created a need for a timing adjustment here. Dunno.
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 7:21:39 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Very interested in knowing what the deal is with that. This has come too far and with Portilla out and Steube in my guess is that this is (hopefully) a very minor delay. Quite possible the FLL shootings created a need for a timing adjustment here. Dunno.
View Quote

This is most likely the answer.  They know how the libs and their media allies will use this tragedy to mislead and misinform the public and paint the supporters of these bills as wanting more airport shootings (even if this just proves our case because a shooting happened in a 'gun-free' zone once again).
Link Posted: 1/9/2017 1:33:39 PM EDT
[#44]
With my tinfoil hat on, I start to wonder if we're teaching them to derail liberty expanding bills by creating chaos.

But only with my tinfoil hat on.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:04:55 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Update.....

Meeting Cancel Notice

No lo sé

I'll find out.

Not possible.  Was canceled before the shooting.  I checked the bill status a day before, coincidentally.  Wouldn't worry about Steube's committee at all since he is the author of the bill.
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 4:25:24 PM EDT
[#46]
Any one catch the mayor of Tallahassee going against our state preemption law?

“You name it. If a law like this is able to stand, it allows for the state Legislature to penalize personally, elected officials who are elected by the citizens in their community over a policy difference, a difference in public policy. We believe that’s unjust, we believe that’s unfair. And today, we are making the stand that we also believe it’s unconstitutional.”
Link Posted: 1/10/2017 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#47]
I spoke with Steube's Office. They cancelled the meeting because not everyone was going to be able to attend. They said the new.meeting should probably be on the week of the 23rd. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 11:22:51 AM EDT
[#48]
Bad News Folks….. 

Just got off the phone with Senator Stuebe’s Office. Tomorrow is the Judiciary Committee meeting (1/24/2017 2:00 PM Meeting Notice / Expanded Agenda). SB 140 is not on the agenda. The Senator’s Legislative Assistant Alex Blair stated that the good Senator will not place it on the agenda for this meeting or any future meeting until such time there is a “better political climate”.

Basically Open Carry and Campus Carry is dead in Florida. Even if HB 6005 (Campus Carry) passes the House, SB 140 was the Related Bill. Without SB 140 clearing the Judiciary Committee; it can’t reach a floor vote.

I directly asked the LA if there is a chance Sen. Stuebe will bring it to the agenda or if it is dead in the water. The LA said that it is dead in the water and will not be reaching a floor vote this year.

So we can do one of two things. Either hang our heads in shame or press on and push harder. We’re damn close folks….. the political stars have aligned and we need to ride the wave. Next year will not happen. 2018 is an election year and because of that they will not push open carry or campus carry. Furthermore I fear we will get a Democrat into office as a Governor. Rick “Skeletor” Scott beat Charlie “Suntan” Crist by 1%. That’s it…. One freaking percentage point!

It was 2,865,343 (48.1%) to 2,801,198 (47.1%). The difference was less than 100,000 folks…. 64,145 to be exact.

So I believe we either go all in this year or we gain nothing at all because of next year. 
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 12:32:33 PM EDT
[#49]
So the Diaz de last Portilla bullshit last year was a setup from the get go as I surmised.

Same as the Marion Hammer 11th hour deal.

It's all been a film flam.
Link Posted: 1/23/2017 1:00:40 PM EDT
[#50]
A "better political climate" is code for WE NEVER INTENDED TO EVER VOTE ON THIS.

The political climate has never been better.......this is bullshit. Their phones (particularly Steube's office) should NOT stop ringing over this. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top