Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/3/2016 3:38:53 PM EDT
Anybody know of any?  Even if they are just air rifle or BB gun?  My 11yo son wants to get into it.

Wyoming Antelope Club appears defunct (not listed on calendar, nobody has updated their Facebook pages in years)
None show up on NRA website
None show up on CMP website
Have an email in to American Legion to see if any posts support them
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 4:34:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote

Thanks.  That's 1hr and 20 minutes away, but for one day of instruction (from someone other than Dad) I could make that trip.

Hoping for something that meets 2x, 3x, 4x/month.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:45:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#4]

their Junior Shooter Facebook page hasn't been updated in several years (literally).
WAC calendar lists no events each month for Junior Shooters program.
There is only one point of contact listed on the website, it's for the Competitive Junior Shooters, and attempts to contact that person receive no response.

Not wasting any more time chasing this rabbit at WAC.  I was a member there once and not very impressed with it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:06:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 7:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

their Junior Shooter Facebook page hasn't been updated in several years (literally).
WAC calendar lists no events each month for Junior Shooters program.
There is only one point of contact listed on the website, it's for the Competitive Junior Shooters, and attempts to contact that person receive no response.

Not wasting any more time chasing this rabbit at WAC.  I was a member there once and not very impressed with it.
View Quote

Just call the general number during range hours. Most of the guys in the club are not very computer savvy and probably don't use face book much if at all. The juniors programs are very good. You could also just show up to the junior shooters practice one evening.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
What are you looking to get him into
Manatee had/has a 4 H air rifle............
Central Florida has waiting list for small bore

IM me I am with the state association and will try to help find you something
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 6:22:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
What are you looking to get him into
Manatee had/has a 4 H air rifle............
Central Florida has waiting list for small bore

IM me I am with the state association and will try to help find you something
View Quote

Just something where he can regularly practice position shooting with a rifle, several times a month, with a group of kids his age.  I've seen it done with .22LR bolt action rifles, air rifles, even BB rifles at 25 feet indoors at an American Legion hall (did that with my older son in Virginia, it's actually pretty damn good for teaching the basics and the backstops are cookie sheets with a couple of layers of cardboard over them, mounted in wooden stands).  I can teach him the fundamentals (NRA Rifle instructor, original Appleseed red-hat instructor).  

I'd do it in the backyard at 20 feet with a Daisy Red Ryder, except BB gun shooting in the backyard is forbidden by town ordinance in my AO and the neighbors like to call the cops over it.

I'd take him to WAC with my upgraded 10/22, except WAC does not allow position shooting on its regular outdoor range.  It's bench or nothing.

Manatee Gun Club is a great facility, but I'm not driving 1 hour to Manatee Gun Club regularly for this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 3:50:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Just something where he can regularly practice position shooting with a rifle, several times a month, with a group of kids his age.  I've seen it done with .22LR bolt action rifles, air rifles, even BB rifles at 25 feet indoors at an American Legion hall (did that with my older son in Virginia, it's actually pretty damn good for teaching the basics and the backstops are cookie sheets with a couple of layers of cardboard over them, mounted in wooden stands).  I can teach him the fundamentals (NRA Rifle instructor, original Appleseed red-hat instructor).  

I'd do it in the backyard at 20 feet with a Daisy Red Ryder, except BB gun shooting in the backyard is forbidden by town ordinance in my AO and the neighbors like to call the cops over it.

I'd take him to WAC with my upgraded 10/22, except WAC does not allow position shooting on its regular outdoor range.  It's bench or nothing.

Manatee Gun Club is a great facility, but I'm not driving 1 hour to Manatee Gun Club regularly for this.
View Quote

You are hard to please. This is some of the most densely populated counties of the state if not the country. WAC is pretty strict. I've not been to the Dade City range Pasco County for some time. Dade City Rod and Gun may now be just as strict.
The Manatee gun club is the best shooting facility on the central west coast of the state. It is too bad they are open only four days a week.
Too many new shooters have joined the shooting world and the crowds at the indoor ranges make me worry about safety. I've been a member of WAC for a few years now. They allow rimfire shooting from a standing position or bench rest.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 6:21:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You are hard to please. This is some of the most densely populated counties of the state if not the country. WAC is pretty strict. I've not been to the Dade City range Pasco County for some time. Dade City Rod and Gun may now be just as strict.
The Manatee gun club is the best shooting facility on the central west coast of the state. It is too bad they are open only four days a week.
Too many new shooters have joined the shooting world and the crowds at the indoor ranges make me worry about safety. I've been a member of WAC for a few years now. They allow rimfire shooting from a standing position or bench rest.
View Quote

I was a member of WAC until a year ago.  Shooting off the bench is useless for me and my kid unless we are zeroing a rifle or testing a precision rifle load.  The ROs when I was there must not have gotten the memo about allowing offhand rimfire.

Finally got ahold of somebody at WAC, they do junior shooters 2x/month, currently .22LR pistols. Will check that out among other options.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 7:15:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I was a member of WAC until a year ago.  Shooting off the bench is useless for me and my kid unless we are zeroing a rifle or testing a precision rifle load.  The ROs when I was there must not have gotten the memo about allowing offhand rimfire.

Finally got ahold of somebody at WAC, they do junior shooters 2x/month, currently .22LR pistols. Will check that out among other options.
View Quote

I was under the same impression as you for the first 5 years of my membership. If all you have experienced is the public line then you really don't know whats going on there. They run at least three different shooting programs for juniors plus junior's archery. I'll see if I can pass by and get the correct contacts.
Link Posted: 12/13/2016 9:54:33 PM EDT
[#12]

call manatee down in myakka last year they had an old school NRA group that met every mnth  they were desperate to get new shooters and the group taught everything from hunting saftey to pistol silhouette.  call Manatee & see if what day they meet.
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#13]
google appleseed project......priceless
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
google appleseed project......priceless
View Quote

I know about Appleseed, I was one of the original red hat instructors in late 2005/early 2006.

That's great training but not the same as regular group practice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top