Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/1/2016 2:24:17 AM EDT
Anybody have any advice on moving to the Orlando area? My wife wants to scope it out
for relocating. Are there any affordable safe/nice neighborhoods in Orlando for regular folks?
Or surrounding areas that fit the bill too? What is the job market like there for blue collar stuff like forklift, welding ect.?
And how about ghe cost of living for utilities. groceries ect? And last but not least is the hurricane issue
really crazy/scary in the Orlando area or tornados and flooding?

Thanks for any info!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 8:17:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Orlando in general scares me. If your coming from Oregon, its going to be an awakening. Traffic is horrible, crime in areas is bad, wages are probably not going to be what your used to but cost of living is lower. I would look for a house to rent in the Lake county or seminole county area and see how the vibe is for you. Jobs can be found here.

Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:23:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Traffic is bad, not LA or Miami bad, but it does get tiresome. There are really nice areas surrounded by crime. So even if you live in a nice area, walk out your door and go down the street 100 yards, you can still be in a sketchy area just that quick. I live in Winter Park and not even a half mile down the road from my "nice neighborhood," we have the Mexicans gunning each other down. Or, across the other way, the black community stabbing each other at the local "community center" basketball courts. Winter Park has done a good job at drawing school zones to reflect the proper communities, so we moved here because of that. The lines just so happen to cut those worthless neighborhoods out of these districts. Political correctness be damned, I will not have my kids going to school with a bunch of little gang-banger wannabees.
           If there is any specific areas you guys are looking into let me know, I have been here over 10 years and have a good handle on most of the area. In the meantime use the crime maps to look at what is being reported where and you will quickly figure out where to avoid. Good luck!
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:59:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I live north and east of Orlando...north of UCF.  I-4 cuts Otown down the middle.  The key to a pleasant life is to live and work in an area such that you don't have to use I-4 to get to/from work or cross it.  There are good areas, but like others say, check in with the hive if you are looking at something specific.  I think most warehouse operations that need forklift are around the airport and intersection of I-4 and the Turnpike.  Publix, the major grocery store, has big distribution in Lakeland FL and is known as a good Co. to get in with.  Have you ever lived in a swamp?  Just asking because June through September.....

Link Posted: 12/3/2016 10:08:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Just moved to north east corner of Kissimmee (Boggy Creak & Narccossee Rd.) so far so good

lots of new stuff going up

Still living in CT trying to land a secure job down there but the rest of the family is down living in the rental

$1600 for 2200 sqft 4 bedroom no swimming pool but have lawn care, garbage  in lease

Good Luck

us this link for zip code Demographics
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:18:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Why Orlando OP?
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 11:46:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Anybody have any advice on moving to the Orlando area? My wife wants to scope it out
for relocating. Are there any affordable safe/nice neighborhoods in Orlando for regular folks?
Or surrounding areas that fit the bill too? What is the job market like there for blue collar stuff like forklift, welding ect.?
And how about ghe cost of living for utilities. groceries ect? And last but not least is the hurricane issue
really crazy/scary in the Orlando area or tornados and flooding?

Thanks for any info!
View Quote

Grew up in Orlando and still regularly visit.  

Your definition of "affordable" may not jive with my definition of "affordable."  

I will say this frankly--though I grew up there, and my mom and many friends live there, there would have to be a major unpleasant turn in my life to ever make me want to live there again.

As for hurricanes, I would offer this (as me and/or my family have experienced each of them since 1974)--it is unlikely your life will ever be in danger in Orlando from one if you're not a complete idiot.  There may be some wind damage, a tree falls on a random house, etc., but you're not going to get major flooding or devastating wind damage.  Don't get me wrong, you may need a new roof because of one, but it's rare.  

What you have to do is worry about martial law in orlando in the storms.  Much like the "boston strong" clowns loved police officers violating the 4th amendment looking for the bombers, Orlando/Orange County didn't protest a unilateral (and wholly needless) curfew put in place by the county mayor during the last hurricane (Matthew).  But, that's what you get when you have a female glory hog was your martinet.

I've driven all over the country.  Orlando is blessed with some of the slowest, and/or third world drivers you'll ever experience.  Everything is in slow motion.  In miami, if you aren't driving 85 on the interstate or turnpike, you'll get run over.  In orlando, if you crack 35 on a 55mph road you're doing well.  

But, at least you'd get to pump your own gas
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:46:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks guys! We appreciate the info. Someone asked Why Orlando. To answer that, we just think its mor safe from hurricanes than other places like miami and the west coast of florida or pensicola area.

We were looking at boise id but after two visits i am not sold on the small economy for blue collar jobs and the cold there, beautiful place though.

My wife and I always dreamed of living in florida. Warm sunshine, no snow ect. I have read that crime is high there in places and can be dangerous with natural disasters ect.

But still florida seems like a dream place to live, but we've never left the west coast so we have no idea.

Our situation is this. Wife works hotel front desk, i was a rigger/welder in a barge maufacturing plant and got laid off. We have a 3 yo and 2 mo old sons.
Wifes mom passed away and we sold her house so now we have money to buy a house and nothing is tieing us down here in Portland. Plus we hate it here, super liberal, gang bangers, potheads and junky tweekers everywhere. Portland is NOT like show portlandia, its a free for all here...

We keep saying that out of everywhere we want to live in florida the most. But we really only know a fantasy of florida, maybe not what it really is...

What is the best place to move in florida for regular people with a house budget of around 200k or so?

Link Posted: 12/4/2016 11:30:48 AM EDT
[#8]
your wife could certainly find work in the hotel and tourist industry in Orlando, while your experience would land you a good job. Your housing budget is fine. Take a trip and visit. If you decide to stay, please lock the door behind you????
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#9]
OP you should be able to do jut fine, but your concern about hurricanes is over done. Unless you
live along the coast or in a flood prone area the threat of injury is very low. I live about 30 minutes to
the west of Orlando and we had 3 of them come through here in 04. The biggest cause of damage was
trees falling on houses, which was rare and wind blowing shingles off roofs.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:06:53 AM EDT
[#10]
If I were moving to FL I'd look at places like Jacksonville and Tallahassee first.  Both have sound economies and are less touristy.  Should be plenty of hotel and blue collar jobs in both places.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 12:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
If you haven't been to Orlando, I would suggest a visit before a move. Orlando Metro is much different than the theme parks/tourist areas. A nice neighborhood may require more than 200k depending on your preferences unless you look in Lake County to the west. That could require a significantly longer commute time if you work in Orlando. I would suggest Seminole County (Oviedo to Lake Mary), but the housing prices will be higher.

Send an email if you questions about specific areas.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:05:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been here since 2013. Was in winter park for school, Maitland now. Orlando isn't bad - get ten minutes outside of the city proper and you'll find some good areas. 20 minutes and you're golden.

I got a remote job so I don't have to worry about I4, but yeah... I4 past the city is sporty.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've been here since 2013. Was in winter park for school, Maitland now. Orlando isn't bad - get ten minutes outside of the city proper and you'll find some good areas. 20 minutes and you're golden.

I got a remote job so I don't have to worry about I4, but yeah... I4 past the city is sporty.
View Quote

It can go from 70mph traffic to a total stop in minutes if an accident happens. It can be ridiculous.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:08:53 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It can go from 70mph traffic to a total stop in minutes if an accident happens. It can be ridiculous.
View Quote

I got to experience that first hand near Tampa. Went from 70 to 0 in a very short time and got to testify in traffic court a couple of months later.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I was raised in south florida(hollywood) I moved to central Florida to work in Orlando for the Fire department. Ive covered every inch of the greater orlando with work. I bought a hour outside of orlando if that tells you anything. Its all I can stomach to try and finnish 12 more years for my career. I would leave this area yesterday if I could. For some odd ass reason the entire island of Puerto Rico is moving to Orlando along with more and more NY,NJ and there abouts. plus those from other area like yourself. Point is this place is at capacity!  Traffic is worse in Orlando then miami, tampa and atlanta (Ive driven them all). Wages here are lower then averages in just about every field. All that being said... if you wanna buy a house a hour outside orlando with upgrades email me. Lol
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:49:47 PM EDT
[#16]
We just bought a house in Winter Garden, moving down this weekend actually.  Liked the "feel" of the area more than the East side (out by the airport) Lake Nona area that we also considered.  I can tell the biggest issue as many have already mentioned is the traffic.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I think OP committed Arfcom suicide.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 10:44:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Born and raised in O-town.  Personally I like the St. Cloud area better.  Or just north or Orlando, such as winter park, maitland, etc.  Good luck.  I'm glad I'm out now... it's way too big for my liking and I don't like visiting.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 6:36:34 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never, ever experienced bumper-to-bumper traffic going 70+ mph before.   I4 is not a joke; I take it mainly from Polk County to Tampa area for my day gig.  Not pleasant.  That said, I4 in Orlando tends to jam up, and when not jammed, can be just as sporty.

I agree with the others - about 10-20 minutes outside the city center would do you wonders.   Moved out to Polk County myself and love it, but my situation isn't yours.

Best of luck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 3:17:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah,  im in polk myself.
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#21]
I know people that live in Sanford that work in Orlando and they say they'd never live in Orlando.  I live in Ormond Beach near Daytona and it's a nice place, check out some of the surrounding cities in Volusia County... most are pretty close to Orlando.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top