Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 12:38:23 PM EDT
We are with Florida Insurance Agency, policy is with Tower Hill.  I am tired of negotiating away the $200-300 increases each year.  We are in the panhandle, non flood zone, and not near the ocean.  Any companies you're happy with?
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
We are with Florida Insurance Agency, policy is with Tower Hill.  I am tired of negotiating away the $200-300 increases each year.  We are in the panhandle, non flood zone, and not near the ocean.  Any companies you're happy with?
View Quote

That's surprising, they are usually one of the better ones out there for Florida.  I deal with Edison now, thius is my first year with them.  OP, do you use an agent or deal directly with them yourself?  I have my agent every year shop all my policies starting about 2 months prior to the policy end date.  I saved about $300 on my homeowners this time around.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 2:03:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm signing on with Frontline.  No experience with them yet, but the default policy terms are crazy.  When I started the contents were insured at 50% of the building's replacement value, loss of use was something like 35% of the building's replacement value.  I also upped my deductible from $500.  This is a vacation home situation and those coverages didn't make sense in my case.  I'm using an agent and so far she's been great.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
If just looking for homeowners you can try Peoples Trust... Citizens wanted 2,500 for just homeowners (no windstorm), Peoples Trust was 700 and change underwritten by Loyds of London.

Only been with em fir a year so no claims etc...
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 6:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I use an independent agent and have coverage through United Property & Casualty...mine went up $30 since last year.  

I used to have insurance through AAA but they would increase my home value every year so much that after just a few years they were charging me based on 200% of my homes real value.  When I complained they said that's what they show for market value....so I offered to sell it to them.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:56:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Allstate here. It's been pretty steady the last 4 years at 1100. Thank you for reminding me to shop around.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:15:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I have my flood insurance through Tower Hill but I had to go with EPIC for my homeowners insurance because Tower Hills couldn't match their price.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:01:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have my flood insurance through Tower Hill but I had to go with EPIC for my homeowners insurance because Tower Hills couldn't match their price.
View Quote

Does that cover loss of use?

My buddy found out after Matthew that their flood ins didn't. He's able to stay at his mom's place but would've been out of pocket for a temp place otherwise. I talked to him last week and he said they haven't even started working on his house or given any idea when they might start.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 6:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Does that cover loss of use?

My buddy found out after Matthew that their flood ins didn't. He's able to stay at his mom's place but would've been out of pocket for a temp place otherwise. I talked to him last week and he said they haven't even started working on his house or given any idea when they might start.
View Quote

I think flood insurance in general does not cover temporary housing. My flood insurance is $470, I have it because FEMA expanded the flood zone around here a few years ago but hopefully will never need to use it. Homeowners I will be using to repair the roof after the storm. It's going to be a pain removing all the solar panels!
https://www.floodsmart.gov/floodsmart/pages/residential_coverage/whats_covered.jsp
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 7:57:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Check out Farm Bureau Insurance. You have to become a member, but it's worth it 'cause the membership gets you discounts in other areas like hotels, etc. Have house and cars on same policy. Been with 'em almost 20 years.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 5:30:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If just looking for homeowners you can try Peoples Trust... Citizens wanted 2,500 for just homeowners (no windstorm), Peoples Trust was 700 and change underwritten by Loyds of London.

Only been with em fir a year so no claims etc...
View Quote

I have peoples trust, still in the first year with them and just got a non renewal from them because I did not send proof
I had my roof replaced. The thing is that we had agreed that I had until the renewal date to get it done. That is
in May. I have a contractor hired and they are starting work in a couple weeks. All of the good roofers are back about
2 months. They made some people I know cut down a nice Oak Tree because they were concerned that it
could fall on the house during a storm and then non renewed them anyway after they had it done.

Something is wrong with their business practice.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Check out Farm Bureau Insurance. You have to become a member, but it's worth it 'cause the membership gets you discounts in other areas like hotels, etc. Have house and cars on same policy. Been with 'em almost 20 years.
View Quote

This ^^
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 9:00:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Any experience with Frontline Insurance?  My insurance company up north won't write coverage in Florida and other high claim parts of the country.  It seems the only companies writing insurance are small Florida companies.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Universal Property and Causality is who my friend hooked me up with, I was tired of getting screwed by State Farm.
Link Posted: 12/12/2016 9:05:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Florida Families for 13 years, no issues, no claims.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top