Tag #HUN1G

UF/Gator plate.

Fucking thieves must die.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 2:10:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the same truck.. curious to know how they stole it
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:05:36 PM EDT
[#2]
wonder if they gonna try to smuggle it out of miami.

hope he gets it back
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:45:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Duplicate key from the dealer.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 4:00:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even with a duplicate key it would still had to have been programmed with the transponder in the truck.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm really curious, short of just towing it, how do these thieves steal a newer model vehicle that's supposed to have the latest and greatest anti-theft do-dads?
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:52:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Even with a duplicate key it would still had to have been programmed with the transponder in the truck.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happens.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 2:54:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

It happens.
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/25/2016 5:18:09 PM EDT
[#9]
There are little devices out there that will unlock & start a key-less vehicle. Most thieves that just want to chop shop a car don't have these devices but given the model & year of the truck, this was targeted to steal by a pro ring for export
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 7:53:27 AM EDT
[#10]
Truck was found last night in an apartment complex parking lot, the 17 year-old stoner who stole it passed out behind the wheel.

I suspect my friend left the keys in it (and maybe left the door open?) and doesn't want to admit it.

I'm not going to push him.  I'm just glad he got his truck back - even if he'll never get the smell of stale cigarettes and weed out of it...
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:19:10 AM EDT
[#11]
EDIT - I don't know if it was unlocked.  But the keys were in the truck.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:29:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 11:41:45 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

"Unlocked with keys inside."

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:32:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Something tells me your friend is not telling you the Paul Harvey... but I think you're figuring that out by now.

In general, there's behind the scenes shit going on with most stolen car cases I've been associated with. Not to say legitimate stolen vehicle incidents don't happen... but, I've seen very few as apposed to BS claims of a stolen vehicle where later it is discovered things are not as they were reported.

People "loan" their vehicles out under quasi-criminal circumstances, then when they don't get their vehicle back... BAM!!!... vehicle is suddenly "stolen".

Yep... truck recovered WITH the keys... makes one wonder... glad he got it back and if it's a legitimate theft case glad it worked out for him.

Link Posted: 11/28/2016 1:34:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Well that's good news...damn shame people aren't more careful.  My mom used to do this in my gated community.  One day I went outside & took her car & parked it way down the street.  She had a nice surprise.  She never left the keys in the car again.
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 4:46:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
me too
nevermind
Link Posted: 11/28/2016 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think they now have a "tool" that can get the code from the

key fob even if it is in the house in some cases. People are starting

to put their keys in a Faraday cage as a precaution.

Link Posted: 12/2/2016 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Something tells me your friend is not telling you the Paul Harvey... but I think you're figuring that out by now.

In general, there's behind the scenes shit going on with most stolen car cases I've been associated with. Not to say legitimate stolen vehicle incidents don't happen... but, I've seen very few as apposed to BS claims of a stolen vehicle where later it is discovered things are not as they were reported.

People "loan" their vehicles out under quasi-criminal circumstances, then when they don't get their vehicle back... BAM!!!... vehicle is suddenly "stolen".

Yep... truck recovered WITH the keys... makes one wonder... glad he got it back and if it's a legitimate theft case glad it worked out for him.
View Quote

My friend is a well-respected physician, and I can assure you he did not loan his brand new truck to a 17 year-old meth head for a test drive that ended up damaging all the body panels.

But I get your point.  Insurance fraud is a real problem.

In this case, however, my friend simply did a dumb thing by leaving the keys in the truck.  I'm guessing the part he didn't tell me is that he left the door open, which caught the ghetto rat's eye.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:12:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

My friend is a well-respected physician, and I can assure you he did not loan his brand new truck to a 17 year-old meth head for a test drive that ended up damaging all the body panels.

In this case, however, my friend simply did a dumb thing by leaving the keys in the truck.  I'm guessing the part he didn't tell me is that he left the door open, which caught the ghetto rat's eye.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to handle Auto theft claims and it is very common for professionals including Dr's to pick up prostitutes. It is also common
for the prostitute to steal the professional's vehicle... I am in no way shape or form saying that is what your friend did. But
it happens.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 10:23:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I used to handle Auto theft claims and it is very common for professionals including Dr's to pick up prostitutes. It is also common
for the prostitute to steal the professional's vehicle... I am in no way shape or form saying that is what your friend did. But
it happens.
View Quote

I'm sure it does.  The world's a crazy place, with plenty of people who aren't what they seem.

I've known him for 31 years, and am the Godfather to one of his children.  Could he have a secret double life?  Sure.  And you are not wrong about suggesting it.
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 11:37:20 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I'm sure it does.  The world's a crazy place, with plenty of people who aren't what they seem.

I've known him for 31 years, and am the Godfather to one of his children.  Could he have a secret double life?  Sure.  And you are not wrong about suggesting it.
View Quote

Sounds like his situation is one of the few that are legitimate. I can't tell you how many times "upstanding citizens" who had their vehicle "stolen" ended up engaging in conduct that helped create the situation.

I've experienced just about career type you can imagine and just about every type of person you can imagine creating situations... and you hit the nail on the head... "secret lives"... and sooner or later something happens that brings it out into the light.

It's one of the most enlightening things of being a cop... especially when you grew up half-ass sheltered...
Link Posted: 12/2/2016 12:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Sounds like his situation is one of the few that are legitimate. I can't tell you how many times "upstanding citizens" who had their vehicle "stolen" ended up engaging in conduct that helped create the situation.

I've experienced just about career type you can imagine and just about every type of person you can imagine creating situations... and you hit the nail on the head... "secret lives"... and sooner or later something happens that brings it out into the light.

It's one of the most enlightening things of being a cop... especially when you grew up half-ass sheltered...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep, I would take a statement from a person and have no reason or suspicion that they did anything wrong, then I would get
a copy of the police report and would see that that person lied to me. Sad how many times that happened.

Link Posted: 12/12/2016 6:51:06 AM EDT
[#23]
Friend had his truck stolen years ago by a neighbor teenager. My friend often had people over and didn't mind the kid coming by and hanging out killing time. Friend goes out to his truck. Truck is gone. Friend looks at his keys and notices the key is missing (Chevy key on a keychain with lots of keys is easy to miss).

Truck was stolen. He got it back. Stealing a key and then stealing the vehicle is still stealing.

My grandfather would drive the biggest piece of shit trucks that still ran and would always leave the key in it, but would hide it. This was in the mountains of NC. His logic was that someone might steal a car to get home. It sounds like this is what happened in your case.
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:14:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I think they now have a "tool" that can get the code from the

key fob even if it is in the house in some cases. People are starting

to put their keys in a Faraday cage as a precaution.  
View Quote

This shit doesn't happen in real life. With the *possible* exception of certain high value criminal groups targeting very specific types of vehicles to use in committing other crimes, basically every stolen car is due to the owner leaving keys in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/25/2016 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

This shit doesn't happen in real life. With the *possible* exception of certain high value criminal groups targeting very specific types of vehicles to use in committing other crimes, basically every stolen car is due to the owner leaving keys in the vehicle.
View Quote

Yes it does and cars are stolen with tow trucks very often and there are other ways as well.
Technology is good, but there are many flaws in the software that enable nefarious acts. 
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top