Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/12/2016 5:37:05 PM EDT
I'm retired. Been a log road started working full time when I was 16,, 61 now.   Going to have to be a cheap bastard from now on !
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Congratulations

enjoy your freedom to sleep in and do what ever you want

Link Posted: 11/12/2016 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Give it a week. You'll be back to work in no time.

My Grandpa retired three times after spending 53 years in law enforcement.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:26:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congratulations

enjoy your freedom to sleep in and do what ever you want

View Quote

Thanks but I get up at 6:30 every day no matter what. Might start taking a nap every afternoon though. The
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:00:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

I stopped working  back in July.  Just made the decision today to not go back.

Some of you might remember. I had some old bag bitch park her truck on top of me and my 2010 Street Glide back in early 2014. And I do mean on top.  I walked away from that with broken ribs, but I did walk away. She only had minimum liability insurance. So after 6 months of dicking around with state farm her Carrier. They sent me a check for 10K.  Anyway why am I telling you all this ?  I experienced some thing that day. Now I don't know how close to death some of you have been in your life.  But if I had 9 lives 6-7 have been used up.  Still this was some thing different and from that day on I've never been the same . Life looks nothing like it did before to me now and in a very good way.  I made the changes in my life that would put me on this course. Life has never been better .

ETA ok maybe that one day I regained consciousness in bed with two collage cheerleaders was better , but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Time to start fishing
View Quote

LOL  I've done commercial spearfishing. I think I've killed enough fish.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:00:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Congrats to you!
I've got about maybe 2 years to go after the ND "experience" is over!
Be safe,happy & long lived!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:01:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Congrats... I hope to join you in about six or seven years...
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 9:59:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Fuck that! I have 12yrs to go to my 25 in fire and I cant wait. Drop program you say? Only drop I plan is dropping my badge at the door as I walk out! Move on to the next chapter!
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Just thought I'd see how this was working.

Big thanks to the Bowhnter6pt.
Link Posted: 11/12/2016 10:13:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Congrats... I hope to join you in about six or seven years...
View Quote

Yep you've been at it a long time.  You'll make it.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:41:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Congrats OP.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:58:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Congratulations. It's good to see someone make it out. It gives the rest of us hope
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:09:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 9:35:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Congrats!

Whatever you do, and I've done the fishing thing, don't get talked into 'helping' out at weddings as security. I just got to bed at 3am after a good stabbing. Had to be up at 6am for another gig......look for the happy medium....fishing 4 days a week and no work for the first 8 months of retirement didn't work for me - now, I'm working too much......

Good luck to you!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!

Whatever you do, and I've done the fishing thing, don't get talked into 'helping' out at weddings as security. I just got to bed at 3am after a good stabbing. Had to be up at 6am for another gig......look for the happy medium....fishing 4 days a week and no work for the first 8 months of retirement didn't work for me - now, I'm working too much......

Good luck to you!

So a wedding needed security, AND someone got stabbed?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Congrats Reef!

I tried the "retire" thing back in '97-'98 and couldn't stand it. But I'm older now (much) and thinking I'll call it quits when I hit 70, if I last that long - lol.

As to the "how close to death some of you have been in your life"... know all about it.  

Enjoy your newfound freedom my friend.  

View Quote

Oh I'm sure you've ridden that edge far more then I ever will.  I've heard it said and it's true. The closer you come to death the more your alive.

I've got some places I want to go and try and find things.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:30:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Congrats!

Good luck to you!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congrats!

Good luck to you!

Yep do anything enough and it'll get boring.  The one thing I don't think would ever get boring is , spending time with my grand daughter.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:59:09 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 2:50:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Enjoy it George! As for the death thing, it is true. After I spent 7 days in the ICU 2-3 years ago I too changed. Mostly not getting so worked up with the job.  I have a lot more lackoffuck now.

Link Posted: 11/13/2016 3:01:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Enjoy it George! As for the death thing, it is true. After I spent 7 days in the ICU 2-3 years ago I too changed. Mostly not getting so worked up with the job.  I have a lot more lackoffuck now.

View Quote

Thanks!   I remember that now that was a close one.  Are you still collecting those old trucks ? How many you got now?
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 5:02:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I'm retired. Been a log road started working full time when I was 16,, 61 now.   Going to have to be a cheap bastard from now on !
View Quote

Good for you, enjoy the leisure
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:02:25 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 14 more to go. Just am debating if I am going to

stay the course or change Occupations again for the last time.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:13:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leisure,,,,,LOL I've been married for 36 years. She can think things up faster than I can get them done now.  I just about gutted the house we're in now. So almost everything inside is new. Still got some work on the outside though and  hope to get most of that done in the next 3 months. So yea I get to do it at my leisure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:20:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Enjoy your retirement Sir.. I unfortunately have about 20 more years to go till that day comes unless one of my kids becomes one of those instant millionaires concocting up some new app or next big gizmo...
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 6:40:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Congrats George!

Come up to Bobs(Bowhntr6pt) and do the Clay Martin shooting class in December with us to celebrate
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
CONGRATS ...enjoy it ...Maybe ill get you over to set up my s1050 ...lol
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:14:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Congrats George!

Come up to Bobs(Bowhntr6pt) and do the Clay Martin shooting class in December with us to celebrate
View Quote

I think my training days are over. Even the last guy I trained with is dead now. . Besides I can shoot in my back yard now.
But prefer to still go up to the club on the 4 th Saturday of the month .  When the 200 meter is open. My NRA  cert.has expired.  So I don't work up there any more . Just a shooter now.  I might try to find time to shoot some rifle match's and 3 gun up there again. The only problem with those was with 50 + shooter's you spend all day setting targets for less then 10 minutes on the trigger.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
CONGRATS ...enjoy it ...Maybe ill get you over to set up my s1050 ...lol
View Quote

Did you buy a new one or get the one chas had ?   I've got over 750 K cycles on mine now. Just did some up grades when I pulled them out of storage about two months ago.  Soon I'll start a run of 70k processed Lake City on one. The other is still finishing a run of Hornady 75 grn BTHP. Before that was a run of 4k MK262 mod1 clone ammo..

If for some reason you want a hand with it . Let me know I'll try and find time to come down there.
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 11/13/2016 10:04:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Great news.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 3:23:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Congradulations!

I'm 8 years in on my retirement. It is not overrated! We're dragging the ships channel in the morning for grouper and sea bass.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:22:41 PM EDT
[#33]
OK... I offically hate you now because I'm jealous.

In today's world I can do that now.

In the real world, where civilized people live, I can and do wish you a very happy retirement... you lucky stiff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2016 10:59:12 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

View Quote
Congrats!

I'm, hopefully, about 5 years behind you.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 5:22:29 PM EDT
[#35]
Congrats! I hope it is everything you want it to be.
3 more years for me, can't wait to get out of the rat race.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Congradulations!

I'm 8 years in on my retirement. It is not overrated! We're dragging the ships channel in the morning for grouper and sea bass.
View Quote

Don't pass on the south side of the channel west of the old bridge.  There's some holes all in there they like to hide in . If you drag plugs at the right depths . You'll pull them out of their holes. Also on that same west side  closer to the old bridge. Are the remains of the old bridge. Running north and south. On the in coming tide anchor up up current from the likes and get a chum line going . If you get it right you'll get your limit of nice mango's. You'll know when the big sharks show up , the bite shuts down.
Link Posted: 11/18/2016 6:11:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
OK... I offically hate you now because I'm jealous.

In today's world I can do that now.

In the real world, where civilized people live, I can and do wish you a very happy retirement... you lucky stiff.
View Quote

Sounds like a personal problem.

Talk to my wife about that. She's 8 years younger than me . It's going to take her a while to get used to this new arrangement.  She's got to stick it out till she's like 60. The 6 Ps apply here.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 3:00:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Enjoy it!

And congratulations!

Three years, three months and I get the boot from the FD.

Sadly, I'll probably be a 60 year old guy in search of a job, with one still in high school and one in college.

Dad will still be on the hook for insurance, housing, spending cash, cars and the like.

Hello! Welcome to Walmart!

Link Posted: 11/19/2016 6:44:00 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Enjoy it!

And congratulations!

Three years, three months and I get the boot from the FD.

Sadly, I'll probably be a 60 year old guy in search of a job, with one still in high school and one in college.

Dad will still be on the hook for insurance, housing, spending cash, cars and the like.

Hello! Welcome to Walmart!

View Quote

Well you can take pride in knowing , your what a real father is supposed to be.  Along with the other things you seem to have accomplished in this life so far.  Your a Lucky man.
Link Posted: 11/19/2016 8:34:25 PM EDT
[#40]
I pulled the plug 10 years ago.  Never regretted it for a second.   :)
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 9:16:55 PM EDT
[#41]
Last Friday morning , I pick up my tool box's and put them in the barn out back.  Spent some time  then looking up some of my old mate's. Not on FB either I might add. Come to find out one of the younger guys has cancer now. I'm going to go have lunch with him this week. I don't plan on putting things off as much as I used to anymore.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 8:20:46 PM EDT
[#42]
In a week I'll celebrate one year of retirement.  Love every minute of it!  Lots of "honey-do's", fishing, shooting and I've read a bunch of books.  I'm in better shape, lost over 40 pounds, lower blood pressure, diabetes in check and just overall feeling much better.

I might do some volunteer work or maybe get a very part-time gig at Ace Hardware to have something different to do.

Enjoy yourself and keep busy.  Sounds like you're going to keep a schedule.  Good move.  I still get up by 0600 every day.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
In a week I'll celebrate one year of retirement.  Love every minute of it!  Lots of "honey-do's", fishing, shooting and I've read a bunch of books.  I'm in better shape, lost over 40 pounds, lower blood pressure, diabetes in check and just overall feeling much better.

I might do some volunteer work or maybe get a very part-time gig at Ace Hardware to have something different to do.

Enjoy yourself and keep busy.  Sounds like you're going to keep a schedule.  Good move.  I still get up by 0600 every day.
View Quote

That all sounds good. Starting a daily planer. For all these years all I really needed to remember was to go to work.  Had a surgery on my neck back in September. For awhile there it didn't even matter what day of the week it was.  This month I finished running 600ft of fencing.  Next is some work on the well then some siding.  I'm far from bored.

I'm doing the whole healthy thing too. For starters I stopped smoking.
Link Posted: 11/23/2016 11:23:27 PM EDT
[#44]
congrats Man!!!!

George Post some photos of your shed/Barn you built!!

And Dave did not get my 1050, I traded it for a NIB 650 w case feeder And cash. I really do not remeber, I do know I came out $4/500 ahead.

So I now have a pair of 650s, Very nice set to have one for small primers and one for large primers.
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 9:58:41 AM EDT
[#45]
I don't have a place right now to store pics . Image shack cost to much. . Hay and by the way.  My old phone got smashed.   Lost all the contacts in it .  IM or EM me your # again.   That shed is storage right now.  1/2 is the wife's the other is my stuff.  I'm already going though it selling some of it off.  Going to do a yard sale this spring too.  If it ever gets cleared out enough I'll put a/C in it and that will be my reloading shack.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 8:33:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Congrats George! 
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 9:10:08 PM EDT
[#47]
Congratulations and good luck.

Retirement is a blast once you get the hang of it.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#48]
Thank you gentlemen.   This is going to take some time to get used to. So many things that need to get done. Still waiting to do some of the things I want to do.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top