Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/30/2016 1:01:12 PM EDT
I'm going to put my camaro up for sale but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do to get it ready. It has a clear Virginia title and I have not registered it in Florida yet. Do I need to register it and get the title transferred to a Florida title before I sell?  I've never sold a car privately before.

Also, car still has VA plates that are expired. I assume I can't exactly give out test drives legally?  Any way around that?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:21:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I'm going to put my camaro up for sale but I'm not exactly sure what I need to do to get it ready. It has a clear Virginia title and I have not registered it in Florida yet. Do I need to register it and get the title transferred to a Florida title before I sell?  I've never sold a car privately before.

Also, car still has VA plates that are expired. I assume I can't exactly give out test drives legally?  Any way around that?
View Quote

No way around the test drive unless you renew the plates. With VA plates, the only other issue that might be of concern is the Non-Resident Exemption Not Allowed statute (FFS 320.38). Basically/In General, if you have children in Public School or you are employed in FL, you must have Florida plates within 10 days.

No, you do not need to switch the title over to Florida. Who ever buys the car will take the properly completed VA title, along with a VIN Verification Form (done at DHSMV or by your local cop shop), and Proof of Insurance to DHSMV to get the vehicle properly titled and registered. Unlike some states, Florida has no grace period.

VIN VERIFICATION FORM
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:41:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the info. I was hoping to avoid plating the car since it's fairly expensive for new residents but if I have to, I have to.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 3:51:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thank you for the info. I was hoping to avoid plating the car since it's fairly expensive for new residents but if I have to, I have to.
View Quote

Also keep in mind the car will have to be insured if registered, an additional cost to consider.

ETA- If you do get a Florida plate/title, make sure when you sell the car you physically remove the plate and turn it in at DHSMV thus cancelling the insurance requirement. Otherwise, when you drop the insurance and don't cancel the registration, you risk getting your driver's license suspended.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:17:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also keep in mind the car will have to be insured if registered, an additional cost to consider.

ETA- If you do get a Florida plate/title, make sure when you sell the car you physically remove the plate and turn it in at DHSMV thus cancelling the insurance requirement. Otherwise, when you drop the insurance and don't cancel the registration, you risk getting your driver's license suspended.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah the camaro is fully insured right now. I may just eBay it and hope it sells to an out of state buyer. Might be easier that way, I dunno. I'll have to do more research but you've been a big help.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 4:19:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No way around the test drive unless you renew the plates. With VA plates, the only other issue that might be of concern is the Non-Resident Exemption Not Allowed statute (FFS 320.38). Basically/In General, if you have children in Public School or you are employed in FL, you must have Florida plates within 10 days.

No, you do not need to switch the title over to Florida. Who ever buys the car will take the properly completed VA title, along with a VIN Verification Form (done at DHSMV or by your local cop shop), and Proof of Insurance to DHSMV to get the vehicle properly titled and registered. Unlike some states, Florida has no grace period.

VIN VERIFICATION FORM
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

VIN VERIFICATION FORM

Any Florida Notary can also do the VIN/Odometer verification form if that is more convenient.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Any Florida Notary can also do the VIN/Odometer verification form if that is more convenient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VIN VERIFICATION FORM

Thanks!

Since you guys are so helpful, if you were me, would you spend the money to plate this car even though I'm not going to have it much longer?  It's probably going to cost me around $300 to do so.  If I were to sell it without doing so, would that cause any issues for the new owner?
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:09:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Since you guys are so helpful, if you were me, would you spend the money to plate this car even though I'm not going to have it much longer?  It's probably going to cost me around $300 to do so.  If I were to sell it without doing so, would that cause any issues for the new owner?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VIN VERIFICATION FORM

Thanks!

No to both unless like you mentioned, you want to allow a test drive.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 7:21:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

VIN VERIFICATION FORM

Thanks!

I can probably chance it on the test drives.  Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 8:12:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

should be able to transfer the title and not register it.  

did that with an old boat i bought and needed to fix up first

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top