Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2016 6:16:47 PM EDT
lock doors and keep valuables with you if you can. Guns being stolen among other things.

story

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 11:06:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 2:21:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup, prime time for this sort of stuff here.  All the students are moving in for the fall semester at UF and they forget to lock their cars.  Small groups sweep the apartment parking lots and areas downtown around the clubs.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:34:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads-up.  I have a daughter at UF who keeps her birthday present in her car.  (Hint: it makes a BANG noise 8 times then stops )

Just sent her the link to doublecheck her doors.
View Quote

might be worth getting her a liberty lock box, or console vault.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:41:09 AM EDT
[#4]
First Lochte, and now this. I'm sure the gator nation is proud.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 6:32:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks for the heads-up.  I have a daughter at UF who keeps her birthday present in her car.  (Hint: it makes a BANG noise 8 times then stops )

Just sent her the link to doublecheck her doors.
View Quote

I have a small combination safe that goes under the seat of my SUV and is cable locked to the seat frame. It won't stop someone with bolt cutters but it would stop a smash and grab opportunist or someone pulling on door handles from getting her gun.

Tight fit but I can put either G22 or G19 withTLR1 in there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 7:27:32 PM EDT
[#6]
This might be oversimplifying it, but just putting a cable through the trigger guard will slow the average smash and grab guy down.  I've personally never tried to break the trigger guard on a gun that had a cable through it, but it definitely will make the smash and grab guy stop and think.  If the bad guy has a cable cutter, it does not matter if the gun is in a small safe, attached with a cable, or not.  I guess this is one of those, better than nothing suggestions. I think that if the bad guy tried hard enough he might damage the gun, but my objective is to keep the gun off the street.  I will buy a new frame it that is the only damage and I've "saved just one bad guy from possibly hurting himself with my gun." /s/

I have a pretty hefty cable with a combo lock built in, that was sold as a bike lock.  I have used it in a number of situations when, it was "that" or nothing.  I carry scuba tanks and lead to one of my dive locations on a hand truck.  I hook the hand truck up to a tree.  I can only speculate that a lot of bad guys have kept walking in order to find an easier target.  Yes, cutting the tree down would make it easy to steal my hand truck, but I hope you understand my rational.  Have you watched a bad guy pick up a bike, that is locked to a no parking sign, and simply lift the chain over the top of the sign.  Sometimes bad guys are smarter than the average city dweller.

I guess if you really wanted to you could drop the mag and pass the cable through the mag well and out the ejection port.  Short of cutting the cable that gun is staying put.  Personally I don't recommend loading and unloading in the car or truck on a normal routine basis.  I guess putting a cable though the trigger guard of a loaded gun has its own issues.  

But hey, guns are inherently dangerous right.  I'm just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 9:05:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
First Lochte, and now this. I'm sure the gator nation is proud.
View Quote

about as proud as FSU is of their strength coach being popped for DUI.   lol

virtually all of these current robberies are done because the car door was not locked.  You have to be some sort of special stupid to not lock your car, no matter what city you are in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top