Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2016 1:25:35 PM EDT
He graduated last week with a BS for Interdisciplinary Studies which I believe falls under the Social Sciences from USF.

He moves back home to the Space Center area to job hunt and may expand to the Orlando area if need be.

The next few weeks will be spent hitting up all the different web sites and applying for jobs onLine.

The job doesn't have to be within this Degree and many people are currently working jobs not under their acquired degree.

Basically looking for any Entry level position with a company with good benefits that could result in a career/future.

If you are directly responsible for him getting a job, who knows, there could be a case of ammo in it for you.
Unless that would be considered a bribe in which case I would have to shoot the ammo myself.

Link Posted: 8/13/2016 3:09:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Maybe a dumb question, but has he utilized the services of the career center at USF?

http://www.usf.edu/career-services/
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:14:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll send you an IM.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Maybe a dumb question, but has he utilized the services of the career center at USF?

http://www.usf.edu/career-services/
View Quote

Asked him and he is aware, but that they mostly help with resume/cover letter tips.
Although they do have contacts with businesses for some degrees, he stated they don't have contacts within his degree.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I would suggest Harris corporation.....get on 146.850 and ask around some of the guys on there ,KM4MNH, or KB4DPY might be able to point him in the right direction....Iknow they have great benes!
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:29:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would suggest Harris corporation.....get on 146.850 and ask around some of the guys on there ,KM4MNH, or KB4DPY might be able to point him in the right direction....Iknow they have great benes!
View Quote

I googled 146.850 and seems to be related to transmitter????
Noticed that Harris has a link for new grads. Hopefully he can find a job he is qualified to apply for.
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Just curious, did anything the OP said give you the impression that he was an operator or was that your way of screening him?
Link Posted: 8/13/2016 11:53:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Publix is a great place to work.

Red
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 10:45:07 AM EDT
[#8]
per usf's web site; "Upon completion of the program graduates are prepared for the holistic problem solving required in the public and private sector (business, government, legal, and non-profit), as well as further study in graduate school."

i have no idea of what that means? could you expound on you son's skill set? this may help people who are looking for employees.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Publix is a great place to work.

Red
View Quote

We figure he can spend the first month flooding the area with resumes then hit up Publix to work while waiting to hear something and while doing continued job searches.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
per usf's web site; "Upon completion of the program graduates are prepared for the holistic problem solving required in the public and private sector (business, government, legal, and non-profit), as well as further study in graduate school."

i have no idea of what that means? could you expound on you son's skill set? this may help people who are looking for employees.
View Quote

Me neither but my son seemed to have checked and unless he had other degrees related to Financing, Engineering or HealthCare that they really didn't have a program.

His Degree is a BS for Interdisciplinary Studies which is more in line with Social Science degree. Don't ask what area that covers as I don't really know.

While going to school he did work at one of those Yogurt  shops and actually was put in charge of 2-3 of the stores.

Due to his degree, he unfortunately really needs to focus on Entry level positions where a company is looking for someone with any degree.

The focus is getting a job with benefits and at some position that could turn into a career.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 1:38:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Probation and Parole officer.  Government benefits and retirement.  Sounds social science to me. 30k while in training 32k to start.  50k with some seniority.

Just thinking out loud.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:09:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

While I can't help directly, my old high school buddy, the one who retired from Publix at 50 years old, would advise your son to take a closer look before dismissing them as a short term option.....
View Quote

That's good to hear.
Will suggest applying there to be earlier within his search instead of later.
Link Posted: 8/14/2016 3:12:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Probation and Parole officer.  Government benefits and retirement.  Sounds social science to me. 30k while in training 32k to start.  50k with some seniority.

Just thinking out loud.
View Quote

Thanks, will pass this along. Some government jobs do have nice benefits and retirement packages.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 8:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

While I can't help directly, my old high school buddy, the one who retired from Publix at 50 years old, would advise your son to take a closer look before dismissing them as a short term option.....
View Quote

Forgot to ask does it really matter if simply filling out the application onLine or actually going into the store matters.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 5:47:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Just thinking out loud.
View Quote

Our starting pay for Deputy is going up to 38K+

Corporal brings a significant pay increase (50% when I got promoted).

Come Jan I get a $3+/hr raise for hitting Master Sergeant which will put me at 75K+ yearly BEFORE additional pay incentives or OT.

Never mind... I got promoted to Lieutenant this afternoon (honestly had no idea)...  I just got a BIG raise...

Despite what many say, a career in LE pays good and offers benefits and a retirement. When the state started taking 3% from us, our agency added 3% to our pay... not bad.

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Forgot to ask does it really matter if simply filling out the application onLine or actually going into the store matters.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

you need to fill out the app on their keiosh in person.  Follow up with the manager in person once a week and do give them a paper resume.

Both of my boys have been employed by public as bag boys before they were 16 (hard job to get).

Red

Link Posted: 8/17/2016 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Your son should have started an internship for credit hours during the last year at USF with an interdisciplinary degree IMO. But that ship had sailed.

What does he like doing? What are his concentrations for interdisciplinary in exactly?? (Normally you choose 3 minors) This question is so broad he could be a front desk assistant or a specialized worker....but no one knows because this is vague.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 6:33:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Noticed that Harris has a link for new grads. Hopefully he can find a job he is qualified to apply for.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol Harris is a mid sized DEFENSE contractor, thy are always looking for new grads..right now they are looking for Chem Engineers and Mech Engineers. I worked for them in 2014 whn they bought my company Exelis...we design ed Electronic Warfare gadgets for F35, C5, etc..what is his deggree in ? They want STEM only.  

Link Posted: 8/26/2016 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Lol Harris is a mid sized DEFENSE contractor, thy are always looking for new grads..right now they are looking for Chem Engineers and Mech Engineers. I worked for them in 2014 whn they bought my company Exelis...we design ed Electronic Warfare gadgets for F35, C5, etc..what is his deggree in ? They want STEM only.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, he changed from BS to BA and with living near the space center, this is what is really limiting his options.
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Ouch. So he fuked off all thru school and now reality is hitting him...that was an expensive lesson "you" learned.  BTDT. I was a Psych major with a Marketing minor. Imade 22k a year in a psych wing. My dad was just like you,  go to Publix (fuk that) or costco ( fuk that too) get some place w/benefits and a career path. I went back to school and got my BS in Engineering , I am not smart but work I was not going to dpend mylife on my feet walking a store. I got an entry levl job at Xylis doing Cust Service. It was extremely difficult to get hired but pay was $45 k to start with an insane benefit pkg.

I still work for the company but its a subsidiary.  We have CS poitions that start at $ 47k and offer the best benefits anywhere.  You must have a BS though, there were  400 apps for 2 spots and the hiring process weeds them down to 50 fast. WE have a big office in Central FL, IM me if interested
Link Posted: 8/26/2016 9:52:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Ouch. So he fuked off all thru school and now reality is hitting him...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Quoted:
that was an expensive lesson "you" learned.  

Played it smart with Bright Futures and college prepay. In the end, he ended up owning just over $8k.

Quoted:
...go to Publix (fuk that) or costco ( fuk that too) get some place w/benefits and a career path.

Basically "...get some place w/benefits and a career path. " is the goal right now. He is certified in Auto-CAD and there are some entry level positions for which he has applied.

The bottom line is we all don't make the right life decisions all the time. Its what you do after realizing it that counts.
This week was his first full week back home since graduation.
He woke up each day as if he was going to work and spent the day searching and applying for jobs until I arrived home.
He knows he has his work cut out and going at it with the right attitude.

Quoted:
WE have a big office in Central FL, IM me if interested

IM inbound.
Where in CF and any CS positions in the 6 figure range?
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 8:12:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Don't be too tough on the kid. I goofed around for years ( and got married, and then divorced) trying to find a good career path. I didn't even go to college (I was too smart). But I finally settled in to a career. He'll be ok. Just the degree alone will serve him well, even if it is in an unrelated field.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:16:29 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Played it smart with Bright Futures and college prepay. In the end, he ended up owning just over $8k.

Basically "...get some place w/benefits and a career path. " is the goal right now. He is certified in Auto-CAD and there are some entry level positions for which he has applied.

The bottom line is we all don't make the right life decisions all the time. Its what you do after realizing it that counts.
He woke up each day as if he was going to work and spent the day searching and applying for jobs until I arrived home.

IM inbound.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ding ding ding. Winner.

Quoted:
that was an expensive lesson "you" learned.  

Quoted:
...go to Publix (fuk that) or costco ( fuk that too) get some place w/benefits and a career path.

Quoted:
WE have a big office in Central FL, IM me if interested

IM inbound.

Located in Apopka, just outside Orlando.  We pay very well. :)
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#25]
Basically have the same degree, from Virginia Commonwealth University.............it will open many doors....if you apply yourself..........lots of organizations will hire and promote you with a degree, no matter what it is in.........Corrections and LE would be a good starting point and so would the Reserves or Active duty military too.................

My concentrations were Business, Psychology and Safety/Risk Administration. I ended up with a minor in Safety and Risk Administration.

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 6:49:23 AM EDT
[#26]
146.850 is the platinum coast amateur radio society repeater....alot of harris employees and high ranking retired people meet up on there and is a great way to make connections and possibly find a good job!
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:14:44 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Come Jan I get a $3+/hr raise for hitting Master Sergeant which will put me at 75K+ yearly BEFORE additional pay incentives or OT.

Never mind... I got promoted to Lieutenant this afternoon (honestly had no idea)...  I just got a BIG raise...

Despite what many say, a career in LE pays good and offers benefits and a retirement. When the state started taking 3% from us, our agency added 3% to our pay... not bad.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just thinking out loud.

BowHntr6pt is right great benefits and you go home most days knowing you did something for your community.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Congrats Bob! Awesome news!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top