Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2016 9:25:27 AM EDT
Is it legal for me to buy a gun when i am on holiday in florida ?
Would i need a licence / permit ?
Is there any places in florida which i should avoid?
Thanks
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:24:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Not as a foreign visitor without special circumstances, mostly related to diplomatic issues.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
If you are from the UK (and I am guessing you are because of your avatar flag and the fact that you refer to your vacation as "holiday") you cannot generally legally purchase a firearm in the U.S. There may be some convoluted exceptions like obtaining a firearm for the purpose of a bona-fide hunting trip or other activity. You can however, legally shoot a firearm that is in legal possession of someone with you at a range (public or private) as long as you don't fall into other categories of "prohibited possession" for criminal reasons.

I suggest contacting public shooting ranges in the areas you will be staying while in the U.S. to inquire about rental guns. Be upfront about your Citizenship. It shouldn't be a problem but it may require a little bit of extra effort on their part.

Keep an eye out for some ARFCOM hometown shoots. If you can attend, I would bet somebody would be more than happy to let you shoot their guns (it is customary for the borrower to pay for the ammunition).

Let us know where you will be and when.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are from the UK (and I am guessing you are because of your avatar flag and the fact that you refer to your vacation as "holiday") you cannot generally legally purchase a firearm in the U.S. There may be some convoluted exceptions like obtaining a firearm for the purpose of a bona-fide hunting trip or other activity. You can however, legally shoot a firearm that is in legal possession of someone with you at a range (public or private) as long as you don't fall into other categories of "prohibited possession" for criminal reasons.

I suggest contacting public shooting ranges in the areas you will be staying while in the U.S. to inquire about rental guns. Be upfront about your Citizenship. It shouldn't be a problem but it may require a little bit of extra effort on their part.

Keep an eye out for some ARFCOM hometown shoots. If you can attend, I would bet somebody would be more than happy to let you shoot their guns (it is customary for the borrower to pay for the ammunition).

Let us know where you will be and when.
View Quote

Thanks for the replies, i am meeting up with fb41 in florida so me and my son can do some shooting.
I have a sec1 licence here in the uk and was looking to buy a .22 lr rifle like a m&p15 or mossberg 715  or ar15 similar as they are over half the price in cabelas as they are in the uk.
I have a slot on my licence for one and looking into a import licence.
But i didnt want to break any laws if i brought one without the correct papers.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 12:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
places to avoid or be careful in , you would need to be more specific about where you are going to visit. Generally the bigger cities have some rough areas, but so do some of the smaller towns. Having said that there is a ton of amazing places to go or see.

Some of the beaches and waterways were getting hit with bad Algae blooms recently, not sure what it is like now. Also just be aware that most bodies of water have gators, snakes that type of thing, and you should want a hat.shades and some sunblock as it is a hot time of year.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 4:32:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
places to avoid or be careful in , you would need to be more specific about where you are going to visit. Generally the bigger cities have some rough areas, but so do some of the smaller towns. Having said that there is a ton of amazing places to go or see.

Some of the beaches and waterways were getting hit with bad Algae blooms recently, not sure what it is like now. Also just be aware that most bodies of water have gators, snakes that type of thing, and you should want a hat.shades and some sunblock as it is a hot time of year.
View Quote

Is it common to get bit by snakes or aligators?
Is there warning signs at these places or should i be wary at all places?
Thanks
Mart
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks
Mart
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Mart

Although alligators and snakes don't present any "huge" danger they may be present in ANY Florida waterway as evidenced by that poor little boy who was recently taken by an alligator in a lake at Disney World so remain aware since they're often difficult to spot, especially for those who aren't familiar with what to look for.

Attacks by alligators are quite rare here and most will avoid humans unless they have been fed by foolish people.

I live right by the everglades so I'm used to seeing them all the time and I respect them rather than fear them.

Don't approach or feed alligators, they may appear to be sluggish but they can move with astonishing speed when they want to,  and you should be fine, and not many are bitten by snakes here either.

Enjoy your stay in our great state.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 5:38:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#8]
OP and to export the weapon to the UK i bet will cost more than what you can get it there for..
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:40:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks
Mart
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Mart

common no, but it does happen occasionally.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:48:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:21:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks again for info and link.
Atb
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 3:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have lived in Florida my entire life, 56 years, and spent the vast majority of it outdoors, I grew up in an isolated country house and played all day everyday in the woods, spent 8 years in the Boy Scouts, camping and hiking all over Florida, Joined the reserves and spent 6 years in a Recon Platoon, training, crawling about in the Florida swamps and woods, often at night, and since I was 12 hunted every thing legal all over the state of Florida in every terrain under every condition.

And for the last 24 years I have served as  Paid Professional Firefighter and have fought hundreds of brush fires, charging towards the fire in the woods while everything in the woods was charging out.

Most of my friends hunt, one of my best friends is member Gatorgrabber, who is a biologist who specializes in Florida reptiles, he has captured  for various reasons, countless Florida snakes and alligators.

In all of that time and experience, I have personally known exactly ZERO proven snake or alligator bites in the wild.

They are exceedingly rare, which is why the ones that do occur receive great media fanfare.

I did have one friend who was bitten by something, which we suspect was a water moccasin ( Venomous snake) through the top of his shoe in the water while beaching a boat. But the snake was never seen, and he was not envenomed, just two painful pokes in his foot.

One of our medics was bitten by a shark while fishing at the beach, a much more common occurrence.

Alligators are common, but shy and skittish for the most part, and try to stay clear of people, as are snakes, which are rarely seen.

Don't worry about snakes and alligators. Don't swim at night in wild water.
Link Posted: 7/19/2016 10:16:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Its the WOMEN you have to look out for !!!

They look great until they get there hooks into you, if you know what I mean!

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:48:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Where in Florida are you going?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#15]
As far as snakes and gators, just be aware where you are. A thicket is a great place for snakes and water is a great place for gators. Also be aware of sharks near salt water and thunderstorms if you are out in the open.

If you are headed over here to the Tampa area, send me a message. I'd love to show one of our English brothers a good time at the range.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:54:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
You will not be able to legally purchase a firearm
View Quote

Incorrect.

There are exceptions for export, and actual status.
Check the link to the BAFTE FAQ posted above.

I have sold guns to foreign nationals, embassy security and others when I was working in the firearms business.
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:50:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Where in Florida are you going?
View Quote

Kissimee the are is we are staying, but will have a hire car and a satnav.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:54:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
As far as snakes and gators, just be aware where you are. A thicket is a great place for snakes and water is a great place for gators. Also be aware of sharks near salt water and thunderstorms if you are out in the open.

If you are headed over here to the Tampa area, send me a message. I'd love to show one of our English brothers a good time at the range.
View Quote

I will drop you a message closer too, have to messages so far to meet up.
If theres anything you want from uk let me know.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 3:55:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Incorrect.

I have sold guns to foreign nationals, embassy security and others when I was working in the firearms business.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You will not be able to legally purchase a firearm

Incorrect.

So it might be possible to buy one whithout getting in any trouble.
They are half the price in usa.
Atb
Mart
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 5:18:23 PM EDT
[#20]
when are you coming over?

I have a fuck ton of real machineguns I need to take out and shoot, when I go back to Florida.

You and yours are welcome to join me..

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 3:39:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I have a fuck ton of real machineguns I need to take out and shoot, when I go back to Florida.

View Quote

Hi,
We be there at the end of october.
Would be good.
Atb
Mart

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 5:23:37 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Hi,

Would be good.

Atb

Mart

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Hi,

Would be good.

Atb

Mart

October Ill be in California then.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:17:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not to worry, meeting up with a few good people on here for a shoot.
Atb
Mart

Hi,
Would be good.
Atb
Mart

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top