Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/14/2016 7:56:46 AM EDT
Possibly not too far away from west palm. Any good ranges? Have been to a couple indoor ranges around there, range Nazi's are not my cup of tea. Any outdoor ranges, or long range joints within easy driving distance?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:27:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Okeechobee Shooting Sports goes to 500 several times a month, I live west of Jupiter, takes me 50 minutes to get there.  Also always 200 yards.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 2:48:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Okeechobee Shooting Sports goes to 500 several times a month, I live west of Jupiter, takes me 50 minutes to get there.  Also always 200 yards.
View Quote

Came here to post this. The drive sucks, but it's worth it if you are spending the day there. Florida Firearms Training does classes and drill days there, they are a great bunch.  Can't wait till the weather gets less stroke-inducing.
For indoor, I've never had an issue at the Shoot-straight on Southern Blvd.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:16:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Came here to post this. The drive sucks, but it's worth it if you are spending the day there. Florida Firearms Training does classes and drill days there, they are a great bunch.  Can't wait till the weather gets less stroke-inducing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shoot -straight is ok, if you're just practicing slow fire fundamentals. Not so good for from the holster, many drills... almost anything else really.
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 4:46:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Okeechobee Shooting Sports
Palm Beach Sheriff range(limited open days)
Markham Park(many dumb rules)

About your only outdoor options
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 5:39:58 PM EDT
[#5]
here
Quoted:
Okeechobee Shooting Sports
Palm Beach Sheriff range(limited open days)
Markham Park(many dumb rules)

About your only outdoor options
View Quote

here

and here 600 yards
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 6:06:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Have to check out Malabar. MCSA still only 100 yards and member only?
Link Posted: 7/14/2016 8:33:38 PM EDT
[#7]
No range nazis at the WPB Shoot Straight range on Southern Blvd my wife and I frequent 2-3 times a week but they do run a safe, clean,  range and rapid fire rifle and pistol is permitted as well as full auto.

I've never had any issues at the Shoot Straight on Southern just east of the turnpike exit.

https://shoot-straight.com/locations-and-ranges/west-palm-beach/

The county is working on a large public outdoor shooting facility but they appear to be dragging their asses.

The sheriff's outdoor range is open to the public on scheduled weekends and the distances vary by date, but no targets that simulate humans even abstractly can be used, and no handgun shooting is allowed by the sheriff.

http://www.pbcgov.com/fdo/admin/shootingrange/

During the hot summer months indoor shooting is my cup of tea and I shoot a lot.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Malabar is members only but a great great place for only $ 150 a year.

MCSA is members only but if you shoot handgun their steel range (range 3) has got to be the best thing in the state for handgun practice.  its $250 a year. but only 100 yards.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Thank you for the info. Have a great weekend!
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 4:20:32 PM EDT
[#10]
There is also a new place called Hollywood tactical which is west of lake O.  they don't have a web site yet just a facebook page.  Its rifle only and they have steel gongs out to 1200 yards.

$700 a year membership  only and you can only go twice a month.
Link Posted: 7/15/2016 8:02:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

MCSA is members only but if you shoot handgun their steel range (range 3) has got to be the best thing in the state for handgun practice.  its $250 a year. but only 100 yards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
There is also a new place called Hollywood tactical which is west of lake O.  they don't have a web site yet just a facebook page.  Its rifle only and they have steel gongs out to 1200 yards.

Quoted:

Why does everything have to be so expensive? I guess I just got spoiled. I can currently shoot 40 yards in my back yard, 900 yards across from the front yard with year round permission from the farmer, and 10 minute drive there's a range with 25 yd pistol, 100 yd rifle and clubhouse for $40 per year.
I'd like to shoot USPSA down there, but events don't seem to be as plentiful as in NC.
With all that land just west of loxahatchee it's be easy to make a 10 -15 lane 1 mile range. Hold long range matches of all types. Probably make more money than the sugar cane, if they don't charge stop much it drives people away.
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 8:25:14 AM EDT
[#12]
I work at a local gun club  and for one thing I can tell you we pay right around 25K a year for insurance just for starters. 12k a year just to get the grass cut. it goes on and on.

also local officials don't like building any new ranges. palm beach and martin county in particular.  The new "public" range saga in palm beach county  has been going on for an epic 15 years minimum and still is not started.

BTW if you want to shoot sporting clays this is the place to go.

clays
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:31:16 PM EDT
[#13]
If I'm reading FL statute 790.15 correctly; one can shoot in their back yard if:
- residential density must be less than one home per acre
- not shoot over any road, right of way or occupied premises
- not be reckless or negligent (have a good back stop)
- not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property(again, have a good back stop)

Should be good to go then?
Link Posted: 7/16/2016 9:57:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If I'm reading FL statute 790.15 correctly; one can shoot in their back yard if:
- not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property(again, have a good back stop)

View Quote

Title XLVI
CRIMESChapter 790 
WEAPONS AND FIREARMSView Entire Chapter

790.15 Discharging firearm in public or on residential property.—

(1) Except as provided in subsection (2) or subsection (3), any person who knowingly discharges a firearm in any public place or on the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street, who knowingly discharges any firearm over the right-of-way of any paved public road, highway, or street or over any occupied premises, or who recklessly or negligently discharges a firearm outdoors on any property used primarily as the site of a dwelling as defined in s. 776.013 or zoned exclusively for residential use commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s.775.083. This section does not apply to a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm or to a person discharging a firearm on public roads or properties expressly approved for hunting by the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission or Florida Forest Service.

(2) Any occupant of any vehicle who knowingly and willfully discharges any firearm from the vehicle within 1,000 feet of any person commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s.775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(3) Any driver or owner of any vehicle, whether or not the owner of the vehicle is occupying the vehicle, who knowingly directs any other person to discharge any firearm from the vehicle commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

(4)
Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083. This subsection does not apply:

(a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;

(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or

(c) To a person who accidentally discharges a firearm.

History.—s. 1, ch. 3289, 1881; RS 2683; GS 3626; RGS 5557; CGL 7743; s. 1, ch. 61-334; s. 745, ch. 71-136; s. 1, ch. 78-17; s. 1, ch. 89-157; s. 229, ch. 99-245; s. 77, ch. 2012-7; s. 3, ch. 2012-108; s. 1, ch. 2016-12.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think they just changed that rule at least in Palm Beach county.
Link Posted: 7/17/2016 10:32:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so?
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have not heard that
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Have not heard that
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have not heard that

I am like 95% sure it got changed a month or two ago.  I read about it in the paper.
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 1:30:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I am like 95% sure it got changed a month or two ago.  I read about it in the paper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have not heard that

There were some newspaper articles that intentionally misstated the new Law by intentionally leaving out the section that states if you not causing a foreseeable hazard you can continue to operate a backyard range in areas with home densities greater than one home per acre.

I don't believe that Palm Beach County can alter or abridge the state statute,

(4)Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

This subsection does not apply:

(a) To a person lawfully defending life or property or performing official duties requiring the discharge of a firearm;

(b) If, under the circumstances, the discharge does not pose a reasonably foreseeable risk to life, safety, or property; or

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.15.html
Link Posted: 7/18/2016 2:12:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

There were some newspaper articles that intentionally misstated the new Law by intentionally leaving out the section that states if you not causing a foreseeable hazard you can continue to operate a backyard range in areas with home densities greater than one home per acre.

(4)Any person who recreationally discharges a firearm outdoors, including target shooting, in an area that the person knows or reasonably should know is primarily residential in nature and that has a residential density of one or more dwelling units per acre, commits a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or s. 775.083.

that's probably what I read, bullshit palm beach post.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Have not heard that

that's probably what I read, bullshit palm beach post.

Link Posted: 7/18/2016 11:03:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I,lived in WPB years ago.
Loved it

The Sherriffs range is exlellent

The deputies were absolutely awesome.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top