Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 8:30:19 AM EDT

<-----FL native, returning home after 24 years away.

OK, after looking around the entire State, we seem to be ending up back in Port Orange (wife grew up in Ormond Bch.)

Where are the good places to shoot?

What else is there to do for fun in the area?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 9:03:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

OK, after looking around the entire State, we seem to be ending up back in Port Orange (wife grew up in Ormond Bch.)

Thanks!
View Quote

Public or Private range?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Port Orange is growing...that whole stretch from Williamson to Clyde sucks balls..and it's growing.
Locally. You have Strickland range out by the jail in tiger bay ...Volusia top gun off 415/92/95 intersection by the flea market. Private clubs Volusia gun/hunt..one down in Edgewater..and then the public range out here in the ocala forest...free public range..so use at your own risk.

That's all the close near by ranges.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:08:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Public or Private range?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Public or Private range?

either
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:32:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Port Orange is growing...that whole stretch from Williamson to Clyde sucks balls..and it's growing.Locally. You have Strickland range out by the jail in tiger bay ...Volusia top gun off 415/92/95 intersection by the flea market. Private clubs Volusia gun/hunt..one down in Edgewater..and then the public range out here in the ocala forest...free public range..so use at your own risk.
View Quote

Thanks.

That is what I saw when I was down there last week. I remember shooting in the Ocala Forest back in the '80s. It could get dangerous when the wrong people showed up but was usually good to go early on weekday mornings. Still the same? I used to shoot a Strickland at the old location. It wasn't much back then. How is the new location? I see TOP GUN does not allow reloads, steel-CASED or aluminium-cased ammunition on their range and is limited to 25 yards. Nice place and friendly staff but I would need more than that.

Volusia Gun Club looks promising.

Anything a little further away but worth visiting?

Any good opportunities to buy private "shooting land" out towards Osteen maybe?

Any Volusia/Central Florida ARFCOM get togethers?

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like Volusia is going to be our new home within the next 36 months.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:04:30 AM EDT
[#5]
View Quote

I've taken some classes here. I'm in south FL & this range looked pretty good. It's where I'd go if I lived near there.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:30:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.

That is what I saw when I was down there last week. I remember shooting in the Ocala Forest back in the '80s. It could get dangerous when the wrong people showed up but was usually good to go early on weekday mornings. Still the same? I used to shoot a Strickland at the old location. It wasn't much back then. How is the new location? I see TOP GUN does not allow reloads, steel-CASED or aluminium-cased ammunition on their range and is limited to 25 yards. Nice place and friendly staff but I would need more than that.

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like Volusia is going to be our new home within the next 36 months.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Port Orange is growing...that whole stretch from Williamson to Clyde sucks balls..and it's growing.Locally. You have Strickland range out by the jail in tiger bay ...Volusia top gun off 415/92/95 intersection by the flea market. Private clubs Volusia gun/hunt..one down in Edgewater..and then the public range out here in the ocala forest...free public range..so use at your own risk.

Thanks.

The Edgewater range is named Cow Creek Hunt and Gun range (private).
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:35:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks!

Symrna shooters supply in edgewater is how to get in contact to join cow creek.

VCGHC is cheaper to join I think.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I go to VCGC nowadays. You need targets, show that you can shoot safely (once) then its all yours. Most of the time, there are many empty berms.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:36:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Well top gun was interesting......
Nice place. But pricey . Lot of mark up on some items...but what store isn't that way.

Range was nice (didn't shoot )..like the fact you could spectator  if you wanted.

Watched the tier 1 ninja behind the counter wrestle harder than Dusty Rhodes  to break down an AR...then some how manage to by his own or with the help of the Ars  owner drop a pistol on the floor. I kinda walked away at that point.

They like yeti products....

Ill probably shoot there ..eat etc. Just because I don't judge on 1st visits...
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 8:54:47 PM EDT
[#11]
http://flaglergunclub.com/
Private club but check for open house dates four times a year when it's free to the public
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:50:52 AM EDT
[#12]
I usually go to Strickland.

Some people complain about their rules but I don't see the problem, they're not hard to follow.  

• Every 15 minutes or so they'll call a cease fire and you just have to step behind the yellow line and not approach the bench or handle any firearms until the range goes hot again.

• All firearms must be packed and unpacked at the bench when the range is hot so if you're planning to leave the next time the range goes cold make sure you pack up beforehand.

• Targets can be attached to foam, cardboard or wood backings and they provide tacks and staple guns.

• 1 second between shots, but they won't necessarily beat you down for the occasional double tap

• It's only $10 a day for as long as you want to stay or $100 for the whole year

• You can gather up as much brass as you want, within reason

• Off the top of my head I'd say there's probably ~12 @ 7 yards, ~6 @ 15 yards, ~6@ 25 yards, ~6 @ 50 yards, and ~10 @ 100 yards.  I could be way off.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top