Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/15/2016 7:39:58 PM EDT
Getting close to moving day and I'm trying to figure out what to do about the back yard.  I was looking at some of the mosquito magnets that run on propane but they're a bit spendy.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:04:46 PM EDT
[#1]
I know of nothing that will tame florida mosquitos.  I've used those before, and they will catch some mosquitos, there are plenty they don't catch.  

What's your backyard going to look like?  rural? wetland? residential?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 10:48:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I know of nothing that will tame florida mosquitos.  I've used those before, and they will catch some mosquitos, there are plenty they don't catch.  

View Quote

same experience, I have not been able to tame the blood suckers in 28 years here
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 5:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:04:43 AM EDT
[#4]
just keep an eye for anything on your property that can collect water.   It does not take a lot, even leaves can hold enough water to hatch skeeters.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm very rural and in the swamp so it's mosquito heaven.

For a small area, like on the porch, a couple of Thermacells help a lot.

For a larger area I used to have a fogger that worked pretty well. I'd spray the area and a good perimeter about 10 minutes before and it would typically last through the evening. I lost it a while back but plan to get another.

Last time we had a barn party we used several Thermacells and some sort of tiki torches (citronella I think) and the 'skeeters were pretty well kept at bay.

I'd love some low maintenance way to deal with them but I don't think such a beast exists.

Link Posted: 5/16/2016 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You could try spraying Bifen XT, ymmv
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 2:39:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Big cities have spray planes.

More rural places have smoke from your campfire. Serious.

Old timers used smut lamps inside because windows had shutters but not screens.

Really, I'm from Naples and it is not a problem.

Boating in backwaters too early in the day or too late could be a problem though.

Mosquitos season coincides with the start of rainy season until a couple of serious cold fronts hit.

Yes, we has the zika and the chikingunia.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:28:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Last place I lived, my neighbor had bat houses. Mosquitoes weren't bad at all, but the fucking bats would drive you... batty... sometimes.
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 7:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/16/2016 10:04:15 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Last place I lived, my neighbor had bat houses. Mosquitoes weren't bad at all, but the fucking bats would drive you... batty... sometimes.
View Quote
That reminds me, I've heard martins are really good for mosquito control. When I was a kid it was common to see martin houses (gourds) in peoples yards.

Link Posted: 5/17/2016 9:24:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm very rural and in the swamp so it's mosquito heaven.

For a small area, like on the porch, a couple of Thermacells help a lot.

For a larger area I used to have a fogger that worked pretty well. I'd spray the area and a good perimeter about 10 minutes before and it would typically last through the evening. I lost it a while back but plan to get another.

Last time we had a barn party we used several Thermacells and some sort of tiki torches (citronella I think) and the 'skeeters were pretty well kept at bay.

I'd love some low maintenance way to deal with them but I don't think such a beast exists.

View Quote

I have the black flag fogger and liquid but the mosquito's just inhale it like Marlboro and keep going
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 12:50:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

Residential, it's next to a golf course.
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 1:07:10 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I wouldn't get to worried, they will be kept at bay with all the chemicals dumped on the golf course

Be more of a nuisance, stick with tiki torches and the like (citronella)  

Link Posted: 6/5/2016 9:05:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Bumping this up for you guys fighting the skeeters, in the past 2 weeks I have sprayed my entire yard and house (walls, lawn chairs etc...) with permethrin 10, fogged heavily with the black flag fogger with permethrin in the mixture on low wind nights, poured mosquito bit in all the plants that hold water and finally hit it out of the park with a product called Nature shield which is a mixture of garlic and some other oils. I have not seen 1 of those blood suckers, had a neighbor spray my other  2.5 acre property with just the garlic mixture and there were no mosquitoes to be seen at night (they're usually so thick you breath them in)
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 11:28:40 AM EDT
[#15]
All washing away in the rain from Colin.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 10:49:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Don't go outside
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:25:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Today, I was working on a drainage study, measuring culverts in a swale holding a 1/2-foot of water, in a rural area. I had just seen a county "Mosquito Control" truck go by, when I looked down into the water I was standing in... and saw a mosquito larvae-density that made my eyes pop!  Little, tiny, almost-microscopic, freshly-hatched little buggers, squirming in mass.  I would gues that if you scooped up and 8-oz cup, you'd be able to filter out at least a teaspoon of solid larvae. If you don't know how small freshly-hatched larvae are, let's just say you can fit a whole bunch in a teaspoon! This one swale was about 5' across and two miles long, it had another just like it across the street. They were holding very many 8-oz cups of water.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 8:30:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Today, I was working on a drainage study, measuring culverts in a swale holding a 1/2-foot of water, in a rural area. I had just seen a county "Mosquito Control" truck go by, when I looked down into the water I was standing in... and saw a mosquito larvae-density that made my eyes pop!  Little, tiny, almost-microscopic, freshly-hatched little buggers, squirming in mass.  I would gues that if you scooped up and 8-oz cup, you'd be able to filter out at least a teaspoon of solid larvae. If you don't know how small freshly-hatched larvae are, let's just say you can fit a whole bunch in a teaspoon! This one swale was about 5' across and two miles long, it had another just like it across the street. They were holding very many 8-oz cups of water.

View Quote

Throw some vegetable oil on the water. It will drown them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 7:43:34 AM EDT
[#19]
fish love them
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 4:36:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Tip. HD and Lowes at one time sold Sunnyland 10% Permethrin insecticide. They both no longer carry anything near that concentration. You can get a quart of Martin's or Hi-Yeild 10% Permethrin at most rural non chain feed or hardware stores for $16-$20 a quart. I use 8oz in water to fill a hose end sprayer. I Spray everything, turf, bushes, flower beds, stockade fencing and screens every 2 or 3 weeks. I'm on a peninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides and I'm guessing around a 90% reduction in those little suckers doing this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 5:59:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Tip. HD and Lowes at one time sold Sunnyland 10% Permethrin insecticide. They both no longer carry anything near that concentration. You can get a quart of Martin's or Hi-Yeild 10% Permethrin at most rural non chain feed or hardware stores for $16-$20 a quart. I use 8oz in water to fill a hose end sprayer. I Spray everything, turf, bushes, flower beds, stockade fencing and screens every 2 or 3 weeks. I'm on a peninsula surrounded by water on 3 sides and I'm guessing around a 90% reduction in those little suckers doing this.
View Quote

Tractor supply has it on the cheap
Link Posted: 6/13/2016 12:15:31 PM EDT
[#22]
This is Florida son...
In Florida you don't control mosquitos, mosquitos control you!
Link Posted: 6/24/2016 7:50:17 AM EDT
[#23]
My Hot Shot flying insect spray seems to have lost it's effectiveness. I have to literally drown the little suckers for it to work, it's only .15% Permethrin. So I put 3oz of Hi-Yeild

in a 32oz Simple Green sprayer bottle and filled it with water. WOW! This stuff literally knocks them out of the sky. My 1% Permethrin witches brew vs .15% in the Hot Shot is roughly 7 times the strength of the Hot Shot. Plus I can make over 10 quart spray bottles of it for around the same cost ($15) of three 15oz cans of Hot shot.

Pro, it leaves a light oily residue on anything it lands on that continues killing for 30 days.

Con, it smells insecticidey. It doesn't have a fragrance mask like the Hot Shot.

I'm liking it.

Link Posted: 6/24/2016 11:34:15 AM EDT
[#24]

Link Posted: 6/28/2016 1:01:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Lol. Mosquito "control."
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:24:13 AM EDT
[#26]
A friend of mind told me about Thermacells. I picked one up at Academy. It works great on my back porch. Only has about a 15f radius though.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:28:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Thermacells work great. So do these things (Amazon link; arfcom's advertisers like to change links, so make sure it goes to Amazon). https://www.amazon.com/Burgess-1443-Propane-Effective-Mosquito/dp/B000HMA7OK
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 11:36:54 AM EDT
[#28]
A hunting buddy was gifted a thermacell and its freaking awesome. I'll be getting one for sure.
Link Posted: 6/29/2016 1:33:43 PM EDT
[#29]
A multi step process. (I live on the Santa Rosa Sound)
1. Make sure there is no standing water in my yard
2. Make sure there is no standing water in my neighbor's yards
3. Black Flag propane fogger around my yard's perimeter, every other evening around EENT

No 'skitter bites this year.  Now the ankle bitters are another story.  I don't know what they are, but they will chew my ankles up walking to the mailbox.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top