Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2016 3:56:26 PM EDT
It would be nice if they picked a name and stuck to it lol.

Their FB is crap as well .........

So I'll ask here instead.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 7:01:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:00:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I ended up calling and the lady was pretty helpful.  Imagine that .

$25 for non-members, up to 100 yards.

$200/yr + $10 per visit (4 hours) for members, full access.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:25:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:36:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I live in Miami.

I eventually found their website: http://www.shoothtc.com/about/ and called that number.

She did start to explain about the guest thing but someone came into the office and I had to go.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 10:05:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 1:07:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a membership there.  The range was bought by a new owner, thus a name change.  As far as South Florida shooting options go, the place is great. Several ranges for what you are shooting.  Well managed. No draconian rules like Trailglades.  Never seen it crowded.  And no crazies like at Henry's.  I recommend, if that is worth anything.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:07:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Helped at a class out there last weekend, place seems pretty good, I like the range set ups and didn't see any shenanigans like at other ranges, I will be looking at becoming a member there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in Miami too. Another member here might be interested. Group discount?
View Quote

Arfcom group rate? I'm down for a arfcom range day I'm insured so I could rent there, the rental fee is not too bad for the 25yd range
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 3:09:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have a membership there.  The range was bought by a new owner, thus a name change.  As far as South Florida shooting options go, the place is great. Several ranges for what you are shooting.  Well managed. No draconian rules like Trailglades.  Never seen it crowded.  And no crazies like at Henry's.  I recommend, if that is worth anything.
View Quote

well, well

I know they go apeshit when I start putting multiple groups on the same target.

[ok, one round near the corner .... aim for that round.  new round opposite corner for a new group  ....]
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 5:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 3:24:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Did they finish building the other ranges? We stacked a bunch of old transmission power poles to the west of the existing 25yd ranges when I was working there with my crane. They told me they were gonna cover them with dirt to make some more ranges.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Helped at a class out there last weekend, place seems pretty good, I like the range set ups and didn't see any shenanigans like at other ranges, I will be looking at becoming a member there.

Did they finish building the other ranges? We stacked a bunch of old transmission power poles to the west of the existing 25yd ranges when I was working there with my crane. They told me they were gonna cover them with dirt to make some more ranges.

They call them action bays. The berms between bays are filled but there is no formal firing line (concrete base) and no cover (roof) like the rifle and handgun ranges to the east. Instructors/groups rent the action bays out for classes.

Actually, HTC seems to actively working with instructors on price and availability so I would expect a lot of classes in the future.  Well, perhaps less so in the Summer--it is Homestead after all.  Also, certified instructors with RSO credentials and insurance will have less supervision (HTC RSO presence) than under previous ownership.  I suspect they'll keep an eye on new-to-HTC instructors until trust is earned.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 8:16:22 PM EDT
[#12]
The prices for rentals are very competitive, and they don't bother much at all
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 7:37:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:06:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Well I found out that my mom got me a membership there for Father's Day. I thought I was supposed to be buying the gifts this weekend!! As far as guests go the guy I talked to said guests need to pay full price. They can, however, go with you to the 500yd range. And in order to shoot the 500yd range I guess you need to qualify at 100yd increments if I understood correctly (I was driving south on the Palmetto at the time). So I guess you need to be able to shoot 1.5 MOA or so (according to the guy) at 100yds in order to shoot further. I'm not sure how that pans out at further distances though. I'm kinda curious how I'll do considering the furthest I've shot has been 100yds. But I just put a Leupold Mark AR 3-9x40 on my 16" AR with a DD barrel so I'm not too worried about it. It's not a precision rifle but it's all I have for mid-range shooting.
View Quote
Nice Mom  

The range masters at HTC determine qualification for the 500 yard range. Their range, their rules. It was explained to me and my recollection of the policy is something like 1) demonstrate ~1 MOA at a 100 yards, 2) show an understanding of ballistics at extended ranges and 3) use only modern centerfire cartridges at the 500 yard range.  Basically, they want enough competence to hit paper (target backers) at the extended ranges with the first rounds and no guessing/raining lead from rifles until paper is hit. Demonstrating that competency may be different depending on the shooter, and the observing RSO or range master.

Remember their neighbors fly very expensive jets, helicopters and cargo planes.

Your DD barreled AR is more than fine for the 500 yard range but you'll need to understand how much 5.56 rounds will drop. Most 55gr FMJ rounds will be dropping ~5 ft at 500 yards so you'll have to adjust your turrets or holdover accordingly.  Thinking that 500 yards requires calibers larger than 5.56 is wrong.
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 9:27:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:32:06 PM EDT
[#16]
I was asking the lady that day about target pullers in the pits.  I've shot in CMP and NRA highpower matches (600 yarders).  It's always nice to get immediate feedback on a shot.

I got the impression though that she didn't really understand what I was talking about.

Can highpower matches work there?
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 10:37:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/6/2016 11:46:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I was asking the lady that day about target pullers in the pits.  I've shot in CMP and NRA highpower matches (600 yarders).  It's always nice to get immediate feedback on a shot.

I got the impression though that she didn't really understand what I was talking about.

Can highpower matches work there?
View Quote

No pits at HTC so spotting scopes are a necessity, at least for my 51 y.o. eyes. There's talk about using wireless digital targets (HTC linky) but nothing yet on cost or availability. It would give you instant feedback but I'm not sure if those could be used for competition.

There's steel at 500 yards but I'm not sure what the rules are for placing steel at intermediate distances with concerns about ricochets and splatter because the 500 yard range runs behind (south) of the other ranges. I'll ask the next time I'm there.

You can place multiple targets on a single target stand and if things are quiet shoot at multiple stands.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#19]
I haven't been down in Miami since they opened. How is it? I've been spoiled by Talon Range in Tallahassee.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 11:22:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 7:21:55 AM EDT
[#21]
Cool.... only place other than the usual spots like Markham Park, TrailGlades, and Hialeah Indoor I've been too is Stone Heart by Tamiami Airport.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 10:30:01 AM EDT
[#22]
Stone Heart?  Thought those guys just sold reloaded ammo.  Bought from them years ago and was decent ammo.  Guessing they have expanded?
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 11:11:21 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Stone Heart?  Thought those guys just sold reloaded ammo.  Bought from them years ago and was decent ammo.  Guessing they have expanded?
View Quote
They have an indoor range in some warehouses by Tamiami Airport.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 12:57:07 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Completely different ownership. Ammo manufacturer is now called HawkSight and I've only seen it sold at the Miami fairgrounds gun show. Buyer beware; recent experience has not been great.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 8:05:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Shot there last week, and had jets flying overheard from the AFB -- cool effect -- great range, decent range officers (less is more), and ok price.  A bit off the beaten path, but that's a good thing.  I hope they keep the same ownership going!
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Completely different ownership. Ammo manufacturer is now called HawkSight and I've only seen it sold at the Miami fairgrounds gun show. Buyer beware; recent experience has not been great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know thanks.  Haven't used them outside that one time years ago and stocked up on 223 and 9.  Now I have no reason as I reload my own
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:18:51 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Shot there last week, and had jets flying overheard from the AFB -- cool effect -- great range, decent range officers (less is more), and ok price.  A bit off the beaten path, but that's a good thing.  I hope they keep the same ownership going!
View Quote

May try to go down this weekend and check it out.  Maybe see if it's worth it to become a member.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top