Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/29/2016 12:35:26 PM EDT
I am looking at a possible position in Melbourne, Florida, and I am doing some research about the location and location around that area, and I have a few questions:

Is Melbourne, and area around the city part of the hurricane pathway, flooding and other natural disaster?
Is Melbourne and area around the city more sub-urban or rural?
Is the CLEO there or around there NFA friendly?
What is the latest with Florida's CCW and open carry law?
Is there any cities or locations around there I should avoid living in (politics and crime)?
Is there a gun club and good outdoor range there that have 600 yards or deeper rifle range?

I know there are no income tax in Florida, but is there any local taxes, and property taxes (for example some location collect property taxes for cars) I should know about?

Most of my experience is in areas around Orlando, Panama City, and Fort Walton Beach, don't have much experience with the Atlantic coast other than been there for 2 days.

Help and comments are much appreciated, thanks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:05:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Is Melbourne, and area around the city part of the hurricane pathway, flooding and other natural disaster? Some areas are, check the flood plain map.
Is Melbourne and area around the city more sub-urban or rural? Suburban mostly, lots of HOA's too in the newer sections
Is the CLEO there or around there NFA friendly? BCSO is very friendly, get a trust anyway
What is the latest with Florida's CCW and open carry law? CCW is permit only, OC is only in a few limited circumstances like fishing, hunting, hiking, camping
Is there any cities or locations around there I should avoid living in (politics and crime)? Palm Bay... Melbourne's getting trashy in certain areas too.
Is there a gun club and good outdoor range there that have 600 yards or deeper rifle range? Yes,there is one in Palm Bay and another in Titusville. I think a member here actually helps run the PB range.

I know there are no income tax in Florida, but is there any local taxes, and property taxes (for example some location collect property taxes for cars) I should know about? Sales Tax is low, like 6.5-7%, property taxes aren't bad if you use the homestead act. I pay about $1400 on a 239K home.
View Quote

Florida does stick it up a Non-Residents ass, FYI. When you go to register you're car there is a special fee to get Florida plates and DL. It's a few hundred bucks!

If you end up coming to Melbourne let me know, I live next to it in Viera (I suggest you look in Viera as well).
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 8:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Florida does stick it up a Non-Residents ass, FYI. When you go to register you're car there is a special fee to get Florida plates and DL. It's a few hundred bucks!

If you end up coming to Melbourne let me know, I live next to it in Viera (I suggest you look in Viera as well).
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Is Melbourne, and area around the city part of the hurricane pathway, flooding and other natural disaster? Some areas are, check the flood plain map.

Is Melbourne and area around the city more sub-urban or rural? Suburban mostly, lots of HOA's too in the newer sections

Is the CLEO there or around there NFA friendly? BCSO is very friendly, get a trust anyway

What is the latest with Florida's CCW and open carry law? CCW is permit only, OC is only in a few limited circumstances like fishing, hunting, hiking, camping

Is there any cities or locations around there I should avoid living in (politics and crime)? Palm Bay... Melbourne's getting trashy in certain areas too.

Is there a gun club and good outdoor range there that have 600 yards or deeper rifle range? Yes,there is one in Palm Bay and another in Titusville. I think a member here actually helps run the PB range.

I know there are no income tax in Florida, but is there any local taxes, and property taxes (for example some location collect property taxes for cars) I should know about? Sales Tax is low, like 6.5-7%, property taxes aren't bad if you use the homestead act. I pay about $1400 on a 239K home.

I think it was 476 to get plates and DL when i get to FL a year and a half ago. I was like

Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:40:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks for the detailed reply, very informative
Property taxes are higher than Kalifornia, but then, i am good when there is no income tax (a 10% saving for me), and a 2 to 300K house is a lot more house than here.
I'll see what is the temptation the company to give me to "drag" my family over.
One thing for sure, there will be some expenses on additional to my collections and NFA items.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:05:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Are you in the Aerospace Industry? You're welcome to PM me if you wanna discuss this in private.

As you already mentioned you can get a lot of house here in the 200-300k range here. You did miss the bottom of our housing market sadly. I paid 185k and 2 years later I'm paying taxes for 239k. Fuckers.
Link Posted: 4/30/2016 3:07:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think it was 476 to get plates and DL when i get to FL a year and a half ago. I was like

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ugh I forgot how much it was! I deferred it initially as I'm active duty but decided to bite the bullet as I wanted residency. I'm glad I did, I like NFA items and I had a NJ DL.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 5:19:09 PM EDT
[#6]
The fellow only paying $1400 in property taxes on a home worth 239K has clearly liven in the home for quite some time, when the market turned around under his homestead they could only raise his property taxes 3% per year. Once he sells the property tax will get corrected to market rates and 239K will be over 4K in property tax. 50K homestead drop about a grand from that.

Property taxes in Brevard run around 1K per 50K of property value. We bought this house in December last year and got quite the shock when the former owner was paying under 1500 and then we received a 4K bill before homestead.

Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:01:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The fellow only paying $1400 in property taxes on a home worth 239K has clearly liven in the home for quite some time, when the market turned around under his homestead they could only raise his property taxes 3% per year. Once he sells the property tax will get corrected to market rates and 239K will be over 4K in property tax. 50K homestead drop about a grand from that.

Property taxes in Brevard run around 1K per 50K of property value. We bought this house in December last year and got quite the shock when the former owner was paying under 1500 and then we received a 4K bill before homestead.

View Quote

Sound just about the same here in Kalifornia, and we had prop 103 protection for now.
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's good information to know. I bought the home 3 years ago, the sellers were dumping it quick due to ill health and took the first offer we threw out there. I know the taxes have been steadily rising, every time I get mail from the tax collector I grimace.

Where are you in Brevard? I'm off Pineda Causeway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top