Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2016 7:26:10 PM EDT
Here is the hypothetical situation.
This person works for a company 10+ years.
Worked from home 8+ years for said company.
Company orders people in to the office.
This person obtains medical justification to continue working from home as unable to make daily commute.
Company says working from home is no longer allowed and lays off person because they won't come in the office, but can't due to medical reasons.
Can this be viewed as discrimination as they are laying this person off due to their disability.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:21:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:59:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Was this hypothetical situation in Florida?

Sounds like you're outa luck. Save the attorney money for bills.
View Quote

Yes which is why I posted in this section.
I know the FL laws are different from most states.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 10:32:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I believe that regardless of state laws, a Federal Law, the ADA,  requires that the company offer its disabled employees reasonable accommodations.

Since the disabled employee has been able to fulfill his job requirements for 8 years from home  I believe that being allowed to continue in that capacity constitutes such a reasonable accommodation.

I'd speak to an attorney who specializes in employment law in regards to that matter before simply walking away.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 9:03:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Commuting to and from work is not part of your job description.  Company is not in any position to accommodate based on your commute.  You'll lose on this all day long.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:46:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Commuting to and from work is not part of your job description.  Company is not in any position to accommodate based on your commute.  You'll lose on this all day long.
View Quote

Not a lawyer but I agree.  Company isn't laying off because of medical condition but because employee is unable to fulfill job requirements.  If nobody is working from home, or no other positions are open that work from home, there is nothing they can offer this person and their compliance with ADA would likely be fulfilled. IMO
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 10:04:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Lawyer; speak with one.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 11:44:13 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is correct.  I've seen this situation play out before.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 5:20:15 PM EDT
[#8]

Florida is an employment-at-will jurisdiction. At-will employers can terminate their employees with or without cause and do not have to provide advance termination notice in most situations. Although employers can typically terminate their employees without notice or cause, federal employment laws require them to provide termination notice if they terminate a large number of employees. Furthermore, anti-discrimination employment regulations prohibit employers from firing their employees for discriminatory and retaliatory reasons. Florida employers must comply with anti-discrimination laws, advance notice requirements and last paycheck laws when terminating their employees.

Pretty much says it all.
Link Posted: 4/29/2016 6:11:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Florida is an employment-at-will jurisdiction. At-will employers can terminate their employees with or without cause and do not have to provide advance termination notice in most situations. Although employers can typically terminate their employees without notice or cause, federal employment laws require them to provide termination notice if they terminate a large number of employees. Furthermore, anti-discrimination employment regulations prohibit employers from firing their employees for discriminatory and retaliatory reasons. Florida employers must comply with anti-discrimination laws, advance notice requirements and last paycheck laws when terminating their employees.

Pretty much says it all.
View Quote
Boom! There is the caveat! If you can find a lawyer to take up your cause (let's hypothetically say....a fictitious name like  Schmorgan & Schmorgan) then you are off to the races. What will the outcome be? You never know, but I bet Mr. Schmorgan does.

Link Posted: 5/3/2016 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#10]
The fact that the company is willing to let this employee go is very telling IMO.

If this employee was a superstar, for example, I'm sure exceptions could be made.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The fact that the company is willing to let this employee go is very telling IMO.

If this employee was a superstar, for example, I'm sure exceptions could be made.
View Quote

Yes, its a major worldwide corporation.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

AT&T?
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:09:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Let me know where you are. I can vet some attorneys for you. I'm a commercial litigator/PL defense attorney, but know quite a few labor attorneys on both sides.
Link Posted: 5/4/2016 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Let me know where you are. I can vet some attorneys for you. I'm a commercial litigator/PL defense attorney, but know quite a few labor attorneys on both sides.
View Quote

I am by the Space Center.
Although no action is required now, a few names wouldn't hurt.
This is prep work as rumors are abound and something is expected to happen within the next year or two.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 9:09:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not think 'this person' being required to work in the office was discrimination.  Employers can still set some rules, despite the ADA and other intrusions.
Link Posted: 5/5/2016 11:14:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This is prep work as rumors are abound and something is expected to happen within the next year or two.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok. I am working on a case with an attorney out of Merritt Island right now. I've sent him a request for labor side attorneys in your area.
Link Posted: 5/7/2016 12:47:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Everyone pretty much laid it out very well already.

Florida is considered an At Will state.

If this person is unsure or wants to investigate further I would always recommend speaking to an attorney who specializes in the field to get a full understanding of the options available and then go from there (a consultation won't be difficult). That said, in this case unfortunately I don't believe there is much that can be done as the employer can terminate without notice at any time and more than likely this would not be a winnable case worth putting money into. I've seen some pretty wacky cases be settled over the years though, you'd be surprised.

Hopefully they gave this person a fair severance package for their 10 years of hard work.

Best of luck to this person. Everything happens for a reason.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top