Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/8/2016 2:24:47 PM EDT
The Battlefield itself is sobering. The displays have many pictures of the soldiers; many of whom were not much older than 16.

Looks like there is a family-centric festival in LC, as well as shuttles from the Lake City Airport and one prison to the Battlefield. Not a free event.

There is also a free (paid for by taxes and fees on firearms and ammo purchases) FWC Lewis D. Whitaker range out that way. Will probably be busy, though.

Festival overall Feb 12&13
Olustee reenactment website and history of the Battle Feb 13&14

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:50:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Been there half a dozen times just to walk around and have lunch....

Went to the reenactment once, with the wife, for Valentines Day.....she was a sport - but I have learned there are better ways to spend the weekend with ones spouse for Valentines....just saying.

Cool place - lots of history. The school busses they shuttle you in seemed to be pre-war!
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:43:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I went to this years ago in boy scouts (2004ish maybe). We camped on site and hiked a few miles to the battlefield. It was fun.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Interesting. My Gr Gr Grandfather, William L. Jones, was in the 1st Florida Calvary before being transferred to the 5th Florida Infantry (Probably because his horse died) where he was killed at Gettysburg. He was from Columbia County.

Link Posted: 2/10/2016 9:26:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Back A few years ago, We would trailer our two cannons up there for the battle. I remeber that being a good reenactment and a sober one as well. Sad to say we are not going to be there this year. The cannons have been dormant this year. Hard to find crew who are safe, dedicated and willing to learn the PROPER way to fire field peices in a safe manor. It takes several people to crew a large peice. Have fun!
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 7:09:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Ive been wanting to take my kid...but each year stupid work gets in the way...

It was a very cool event....even my wife liked it. But we like that kinda stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2016 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched the re-enactment on a school field trip in Fourth Grade.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top