Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 2/4/2016 8:01:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:46:26 PM EDT
[#1]
It is against the Law to open carry in Florida.

Due to mid-decade redistricting resulting from a lawsuit, all Senate seats will be up at the 2016 general election.

Looks like Portilla will have to change parties to run again, which is said to be highly likely.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:52:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's some info I got emailed today from Rep Steube-

Thank you for contacting Rep. Steube regarding the following legislation:

HB 4001 – Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms by Rep. Steube

HB 163 – Weapons and Firearm by Rep. Gaetz

HB 41 – Discharge of Firearms on Residential Property by Rep. Combee

HB 135 – Mandatory Minimum Sentences by Rep. Combee

And here's Rep Steube's link to ****HB 4001 - Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms (open carry & concealed on campus)****

http://www.myfloridahouse.gov/Sections/Bills/billsdetail.aspx?BillId=54808 (80 to 37, and old news form the first thread, however)

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Kat just curious.  why are you so against it?  Personally I am against open carry and I don't plan to.  I think I have a better advantage with it concealed.  With that said I have no issues if someone chooses to open carry and I support the law if only to expand options and to avoid conflict in the case my pistol happens to come unconcealed.  Why not, it is there preference and why should I infringe on how they wish to go about it?  I have lived in states like Vermont in which  open carry is legal.  There were no issues and it was not unusual to see someone open carrying.  

Just FYI I did not read all the posts in the previous thread.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a fishing pole?

Back on topic...

and we're working hard on that law, as are many others.

Please post updates, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:35:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Kat just curious.  why are you so against it?  Personally I am against open carry and I don't plan to.  I think I have a better advantage with it concealed.  With that said I have no issues if someone chooses to open carry and I support the law if only to expand options and to avoid conflict in the case my pistol happens to come unconcealed.  Why not, it is there preference and why should I infringe on how they wish to go about it?  I have lived in states like Vermont in which  open carry is legal.  There were no issues and it was not unusual to see someone open carrying.  

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nevermind, i don't want to get this thread locked.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:45:22 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

FYI: If you had read the previous thread you'd never have asked the question.

It's precisely this sort of dialog this thread was not intended for and I think SGB would likely agree.

This thread is about facts, updates and information about the FL OC Bill.

STOP FEEDING TROLLS.

Kat1950 is not here to discuss any of the above. His "contributions" in the previous thread were the springboard for it getting locked. If he doesn't care for the bill, then he should START ANOTHER FUCKING THREAD TO DISCUSS HIS OPPOSITION TO IT AND STOP SHITTING ON THREADS LIKE THIS.

1st fucking post of his was more bait, and you bit.

Back to the intent of this thread please.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 9:56:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:04:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Kat was the first person to get on my ignore list. I only have three people on it. And I just started using it last year.

Anyways....

Lets keep fighting the good fight.

We're close to getting OC. If we do I'll never wear another IWB holster ever again.

Link Posted: 2/4/2016 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Kat was the first person to get on my ignore list. I only have three people on it. And I just started using it last year.

Anyways....

Lets keep fighting the good fight.
View Quote

Good idea.  Kat....Goodbye.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:19:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:05:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Buying the Corvette really put the damper on anything in the waistband.

GM didn't leave much room for me, let alone guns hanging out.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 5:13:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Lets hope we hear something good in the next few days on the OC

Summer coming and I don't want to have to wear big shirts

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I quit using IWB holsters years ago.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Originally Posted By Miami_JBT

We're close to getting OC. If we do I'll never wear another IWB holster ever again.

I'm somewhat skinny. OWB holstrs are like a tumor on me when I CCW anything bigger tham a J frame.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:14:20 AM EDT
[#14]
We need a major gun rights victory in ths state regardless whether or not you're personally interested in carrying openly yourself, or the same forces who are fighting open carry will be working in earnest towards a contraction of our rights.

Expanding freedom is always a good thing.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 8:38:07 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

We need a major gun rights victory in ths state regardless whether or not you're personally interested in carrying openly yourself, or the same forces who are fighting open carry will be working in earnest towards a contraction of our rights.

View Quote
Yup

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:20:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Northern transplants like my family and I are working very hard to change that. Constitutional Carry is what Floridians deserve.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:07:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm somewhat skinny. OWB holstrs are like a tumor on me when I CCW anything bigger tham a J frame.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT

lol I'm like you.  Could never get away with an OWB holster.

Is there any timeline expected to hear back if it passes the next step?
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:08:54 AM EDT
[#18]
I like where this thread is going already!

hope it passes, I'll be sending 148 emails out this morning
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:19:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

View Quote

This! I would still cover it with a shirt/jacket but, I'm tired of jamming a IWB holster in my pants.

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 10:44:53 AM EDT
[#20]
I am urging everyone here to call, email, AND write letters to Portilla and every member on the Senate Judiciary Committee.

Here is the contact info for Portilla and the rest of the Judiciary Committee:

SUPPORT
SB300 - Open Carry
SB68 - Campus Carry

Phone:

Diaz de la Portilla   (850) 487-5040     VOIP 540

Bean   (850) 487-5004
Benacquisto   (850) 487-5030
Brandes   (850) 487-5022
Joyner   (850) 487-519
Ring   (850) 487-5029
Simmons   (850) 487-5010
Simpson   (850) 487-5018
Soto   (850) 487-5014
Stargel   (850) 487-5015

Email:

[email protected]

[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]
[email protected]

Address:

Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla
406 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Aaron Bean
302 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Lizbeth Benacquisto
326 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Jeff Brandes
318 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Arthenia Joyner
200 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Jeremy Ring
405 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator David Simmons
400 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Wilton Simpson
322 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Darren Soto
220 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Kelli Stargel
324 Senate Office Building
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:07:25 AM EDT
[#21]
Let's keep this thread on track.  "click" is superior to getting this locked.

Keep the momentum going!
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone have a cut and paste letter? If I write it myself they may not
Like it
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 1:45:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Anyone have a cut and paste letter? If I write it myself they may not
Like it
View Quote

I blocked the email addressees to make it easier.

[email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] [email protected]

I just sent this.

Senate Judiciary Committee,

Don't sit on this bill any longer. The House of Representatives voted on this bill. They sent a strong message with their vote.

Everyone knows that Chairman Portilla is sitting on this bill. Do the right thing Chairman Portilla.

Let this bill be heard and pass it on to the full senate.

Do not sit back in a cowardly manner and kill this bill. Please do not let Senator Portilla use tactical procedural maneuvers to silence a conversation for all Senators to engage in regarding open carry and campus carry.

Please align with the intention of our Founders by restricting his temptation to silence this conversation through his power as subcommittee chair.  

Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:16:04 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
This! I would still cover it with a shirt/jacket but, I'm tired of jamming a IWB holster in my pants.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Me too.  I can't see OPEN open carrying except maybe at a BBQ with like-minded people or something (Miami_JBT - you should host one; K Frames and up).  But I've been liking OWB-ing my BHP.  But I know as it gets hotter, I'll be back to Appendix carrying the 642 or maybe the PPS if I'm feeling saucy.  Open Carry would give me a little more 'not give a crap' about printing.  

ETA - Sent this...

Senators,

Please support these two bills fully through passage as they are.  My family and friends who are active voters would like to see our 2nd Amendment rights supported fully by those we have elected.  Please do not disappoint us.

Warm regards,

Me
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:33:32 PM EDT
[#25]
What I'm going to say here I do not take lightly, so please understand the seriousness of what I am proposing.

Does anyone (preferably with a law degree) know if filing an ethics complaint against Portilla for stalling Campus Carry and Open Carry could gain us any ground or force his hand?

It seems like an appealing idea, but the only issue is that the person filing the complaint could be on the hook for legal fees if it turns out to be "unfounded".

ETA:  More on it here:   http://www.ethics.state.fl.us/
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 3:59:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What I'm going to say here I do not take lightly, so please understand the seriousness of what I am proposing.

Does anyone (preferably with a law degree) know if filing an ethics complaint against Portilla for stalling Campus Carry and Open Carry could gain us any ground or force his hand?

It seems like an appealing idea, but the only issue is that the person filing the complaint could be on the hook for legal fees if it turns out to be "unfounded".

View Quote

This has my attention.  I know Ernie Myers is an attorney with a big background in firearms, maybe try contacting him to see if it's worth pursuing?  I've asked his opinion on things before and have gotten a rough outline on if something is workable or not.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:44:10 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This has my attention.  I know Ernie Myers is an attorney with a big background in firearms, maybe try contacting him to see if it's worth pursuing?  I've asked his opinion on things before and have gotten a rough outline on if something is workable or not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Best wait for Eric Friday to chime in on that one. He is a member here, and spearheading this thing in the Capitol. Guaranteed he has already considered this.

Our job is to tar and feather when necessary.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Best wait for Eric Friday to chime in on that one. He is a member here, and spearheading this thing in the Capitol. Guaranteed he has already considered this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sweet, standing by.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 11:21:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I'm truly knocked out that a Cuban Republican from Miami would hold up a Second Amendment bill from a floor vote.  

Is anyone here from Miguel Diaz de la Portilla's district?    Maybe hearing from a constituent might help.

Here's a quick study on the Diaz de la Portilla brothers' mark on Florida politics:  Miami New Times
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 5:30:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Do we have word they he's going to kill SB300? I thought he was going to bring it to committee??
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 7:22:53 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Do we have word they he's going to kill SB300? I thought he was going to bring it to committee??
View Quote

Originally he said he would. Now he says he might change his mind. He thought it wasn't a risk since the sheriffs association had a castration amendment.

But now the house passed it unneutered and it's a hot issue. He's scared it'll pass without the gutting amendment.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 8:47:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Originally he said he would. Now he says he might change his mind. He thought it wasn't a risk since the sheriffs association had a castration amendment.

But now the house passed it unneutered and it's a hot issue. He's scared it'll pass without the gutting amendment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did you hear this? Just curious.

I haven't seen that yet, and I have been trying to find anything related to this.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:44:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I haven't seen that yet, and I have been trying to find anything related to this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

From February 3rd:  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article58311048.html

Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, said two weeks ago that he won’t hear the campus-carry proposal in the judiciary committee for the second year in a row, and Gardiner confirmed Wednesday that Diaz de la Portilla could change his mind and not hear the open-carry plan, either.

We need a full court press on Portilla and the rest of the Judiciary Committee.   Everyone needs to be calling, emailing, and especially writing letters to them.  Get your family or friends to contact them as well.  They won't do their jobs unless we hold their feet to the fire.

I know I was the first to mention the ethics complaint in this thread, but I agree that some other, better positioned people have surely considered this.  My only concern is the timing.  Since the bill is stuck in committee, it's a time-sensitive matter.  Standing by for answers from our legal minds.

ETA: I'm just spit balling here, but would it be in any way beneficial to contact some of our 2A-friendly federal officials to encourage our State Senators to move on these bills?  I'm thinking Rubio and some of the Republican Congressmen.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 2:51:41 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
From February 3rd:  http://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/state-politics/article58311048.html
We need a full court press on Portilla and the rest of the Judiciary Committee.   Everyone needs to be calling, emailing, and especially writing letters to them.  Get your family or friends to contact them as well.  They won't do their jobs unless we hold their feet to the fire.

I know I was the first to mention the ethics complaint in this thread, but I agree that some other, better positioned people have surely considered this.  My only concern is the timing.  Since the bill is stuck in committee, it's a time-sensitive matter.  Standing by for answers from our legal minds.

ETA: I'm just spit balling here, but would it be in any way beneficial to contact some of our 2A-friendly federal officials to encourage our State Senators to move on these bills?  I'm thinking Rubio and some of the Republican Congressmen.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Sen. Miguel Diaz de la Portilla, R-Miami, said two weeks ago that he won’t hear the campus-carry proposal in the judiciary committee for the second year in a row, and Gardiner confirmed Wednesday that Diaz de la Portilla could change his mind and not hear the open-carry plan, either.

Agreed 100%.

One man is going to dictate the outcome the House overwhelmingly supported?

People need to get vocal and do it IMMEDIATELY.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:01:51 PM EDT
[#35]
I went ahead and emailed Rubio and my Congress critter just for the hell of it.

Here's what I wrote.  Feel free to copy/modify.

Congressman/Senator,

I understand that what I am contacting you about is a state issue, but it is still deserves the attention of officials elected to public office by the people of Florida.

As you may be aware, the Florida House of Representatives recently passed a bill to allow the open carry of firearms by Conceal Weapon Permit holders, as well as a bill allowing Concealed Carry Permit holders to carry on College Campuses.  These bills have the overwhelming support of the people of Florida and Florida Legislators alike.  Unfortunately, the Senate versions of the Open Carry and Campus Carry are being stalled, not by popular demand, but by the Judiciary Committee Chairman, Senator Diaz de la Portilla.  Senator Portilla refuses to hear the Campus Carry bill and has indicated that he may not hear the Open Carry bill either.

Senator Portilla is violating the trust of the public and the will of the People of Florida by blocking the hearings on Open Carry and Campus Carry. If these bills do not get a committee hearing and a vote, they will not be brought before the Florida Senate and Portilla will have killed both bills.

As a voter and a law abiding Floridian, I am urging you to contact the offices of Chairman Diaz de la Portilla and Senate President Andy Gardiner to encourage them to bring these bills to the floor of the Florida Senate for a full vote.  These bills represent a massive amount of work by the people of Florida and they deserve to be voted on.

Senator Diaz de la Portilla can be contacted here:

(850) 487-5040
[email protected]

404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

Senator Gardiner can be contacted here:

(850) 487-5013
[email protected]

409 The Capitol
404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-1100

Thank you for your consideration in this matter.  

View Quote
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 4:05:04 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Congressman/Senator,

I understand that what I am contacting you about is a state issue, but it is still deserves the attention of officials elected to public office by the people of Florida.

As you may be aware, the Florida House of Representatives recently passed a bill to allow the open carry of firearms by Conceal Weapon Permit holders, as well as a bill allowing Concealed Carry Permit holders to carry on College Campuses.  These bills have the overwhelming support of the people of Florida and Florida Legislators alike.  Unfortunately, the Senate versions of the Open Carry and Campus Carry are being stalled, not by popular demand, but by the Judiciary Committee Chairman, Senator Diaz de la Portilla.  Senator Portilla refuses to hear the Campus Carry bill and has indicated that he may not hear the Open Carry bill either.

Senator Portilla is violating the trust of the public and the will of the People of Florida by blocking the hearings on Open Carry and Campus Carry. If these bills do not get a committee hearing and a vote, they will not be brought before the Florida Senate and Portilla will have killed both bills.

As a voter and a law abiding Floridian, I am urging you to contact the offices of Chairman Diaz de la Portilla and Senate President Andy Gardiner to encourage them to bring these bills to the floor of the Florida Senate for a full vote.  These bills represent a massive amount of work by the people of Florida and they deserve to be voted on.

(850) 487-5040

[email protected]

404 South Monroe Street

Tallahassee, FL

32399-1100

(850) 487-5013

[email protected]

409 The Capitol

404 South Monroe Street

Very well said. Doing the same now.
Link Posted: 2/7/2016 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Congressman/Senator,

(850) 487-5040
[email protected]

404 South Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL
32399-1100

(850) 487-5013
[email protected]

409 The Capitol
404 South Monroe Street

I like it Orpheus, I will also do the same. Thanks.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:13:11 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

The thing that most people don't realize is that it's restoring more than it's expanding out rights.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:17:29 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Nope. We have absolutely no evidence. He is doing exactly what his position required of him. Control the flow of bills though his committee.

Yes, it sucks, but it also works to our favor too. Lots of the Dem's stupid anti-gun, anti-self defense, anti-freedom bills get road-blocked too.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 9:32:21 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Nope. We have absolutely no evidence. He is doing exactly what his position required of him. Control the flow of bills though his committee.

Yes, it sucks, but it also works to our favor too. Lots of the Dem's stupid anti-gun, anti-self defense, anti-freedom bills get road-blocked too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I gotcha.  Makes sense.

Quoted:

I like it Orpheus, I will also do the same. Thanks.

No problem.  Check back later today or tomorrow, because I'll be writing a few targeted form letters that everyone can use.

Again, I can't stress this enough, while it's excellent that people are emailing and calling in, writing real tangible paper letters goes a long way too.  

Sure you'll be out $10-20 for all the stamps and envelopes, but I'm sure everyone here (including myself) have pissed away far more money on far less important things a time or two.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 12:06:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Here are some form letters I drafted up targeted at all of the relevant government officials.  Feel free to copy/modify.

Everyone here should be emailing and calling, but I'm strongly encouraging everyone to send letters too!

Letter to Governor Rick Scott

ATTENTION: Governor Rick Scott

SUBJECT:  
SUPPORT - SB 68 Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms
SUPPORT - SB 300 Weapons and Firearms

Governor Scott,

As you are probably aware, the Florida House of Representatives passed bills on Open Carry (HB 163) and Campus Carry (HB 4001) with overwhelming support.  These bills have had numerous committee hearings preceding the full House vote.  They were debated on their merits, amendments were proposed, and each of our State Representatives was given the opportunity to uphold the obligation of their office by a vote on the final versions.  

This is the way our government is supposed to work.

Regrettably, there are some in the Florida Senate who do not intend to honor that obligation.  Senator Diaz de la Portilla, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has flatly refused to give the Senate version of Campus Carry (SB 68) a hearing, and has indicated that he may obstruct Open Carry (SB 300) as well.  Senate President Gardiner has also flatly refused to bring these bills out of committee to allow a full vote in the Senate.  This is a perversion of procedure and an underhanded attempt to deny the full Senate an opportunity to vote, effectively killing these bills.  In light of the fact these bills enjoyed massive support by the House, at the very least they deserve to be debated and voted on by the Senate.

I respectfully request that you contact Senator Diaz de la Portilla and Senator Gardiner and urge them to bring these bills before the Senate for a full vote.  The People of Florida deserve to have their Second Amendment rights recognized and respected by our state government.  While anti-gun operatives in the media belittle and mischaracterize these reforms, they are immensely popular with the public at large.  

Regardless of whether or not Senators support or oppose these bills, they should at least debate them and vote accordingly; it’s their job!  Let these bills succeed or fail on their merits, not be hidden from view by some legislative technicality.  Exploiting our system of government this way is a detestable statement on the character of our elected officials.  

I trust that you will give my views careful consideration, but anything less than meaningful action is unacceptable.  I appreciate you taking the time to give these bills the attention they deserve.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

View Quote

Letter to Senate President Andy Gardiner

ATTENTION: Senator Andy Gardiner

SUBJECT:  

Senator Gardiner,

As you are probably aware, the Florida House of Representatives passed bills on Open Carry (HB 163) and Campus Carry (HB 4001) with overwhelming support.  These bills have had numerous committee hearings preceding the full House vote.  They were debated on their merits, amendments were proposed, and each of our State Representatives was given the opportunity to uphold the obligation of their office by a vote on the final versions.  

Regrettably, there are some in the Florida Senate who do not intend to honor that obligation.  Senator Diaz de la Portilla, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has flatly refused to give the Senate version of Campus Carry (SB 68) a hearing, and has indicated that he may obstruct Open Carry (SB 300) as well.  This is a perversion of procedure and an underhanded attempt to deny the full Senate an opportunity to vote, effectively killing these bills.  In light of the fact these bills enjoyed massive support by the House, at the very least they deserve to be debated and voted on by the Senate.

I respectfully request that you contact Senator Diaz de la Portilla and urge him to give these bills a hearing in the Judiciary Committee.  If he continues to obstruct committee hearings, I am urging you to take action as Senate President and pull these bills out of committee so they can be voted on by the Senate.  The People of Florida deserve to have their Second Amendment rights recognized and respected by our state government.  While anti-gun operatives in the media belittle and mischaracterize these reforms, they are immensely popular with the public at large.  

Regardless of whether or not Senators support or oppose these bills, they should at least debate them and vote accordingly; it’s their job!  Let these bills succeed or fail on their merits, not be hidden from view by some legislative technicality.  Exploiting our system of government this way is a detestable statement on the character of our elected officials.  The voters of Florida will hold you accountable should you or other Senators fail to uphold the obligation you have as an elected official.

I trust that you will give my views careful consideration, but anything less than meaningful action is unacceptable.  I appreciate you taking the time to give these bills the attention they deserve.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

View Quote

Letter to Senator Miguel Diaz de la Portilla

ATTENTION: Senator Diaz de la Portilla

SUBJECT:  

Senator Diaz de la Portilla,

Regrettably, it appears that you do not intend to honor that obligation.  You have flatly refused to give the Senate version of Campus Carry (SB 68) a hearing, and you have indicated that you may obstruct Open Carry (SB 300) as well.  This is a perversion of procedure and an underhanded attempt to deny the full Senate an opportunity to vote.  It is clear that your intent is to kill these bills.  In spite of the fact these bills enjoyed massive support by the House, you seem to believe that they do not merit a hearing or a vote by the Senate.

I urge you to reverse your course and give these bills a hearing in the Judiciary Committee.  The People of Florida deserve to have their Second Amendment rights recognized and respected by our state government.  While anti-gun operatives in the media belittle and mischaracterize these reforms, they are immensely popular with the public at large.  

Regardless of whether or not Senators support or oppose these bills, they should at least debate them and vote accordingly; it’s your job!  Let these bills succeed or fail on their merits, not be hidden from view by some legislative technicality.  Exploiting our system of government this way is a detestable statement on your character.  It is a shame that I am even writing this letter to a Republican State Senator.  I expect our rights to be trampled and curtailed by the Democrats, but you should know better. The voters of Florida will hold you accountable should you or other Senators fail to uphold the obligation you have as an elected official.

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

View Quote

Generic letter to Florida State Senators

ATTENTION: Senator XXXXXXX

SUBJECT:  SUPPORT - SB 68 Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms

Senator,

Regrettably, there are some in the Florida Senate who do not intend to honor that obligation.  Senator Diaz de la Portilla, Chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, has flatly refused to give the Senate version of Campus Carry (SB 68) a hearing, and has indicated that he may obstruct Open Carry (SB 300) as well.  Senate President Gardiner has also flatly refused to bring these bills out of committee to allow a full vote in the Senate.  This is a perversion of procedure and an underhanded attempt to deny the full Senate an opportunity to vote, effectively killing these bills.  In light of the fact these bills enjoyed massive support by the House, at the very least they deserve to be debated and voted on by the Senate.

I respectfully request that you contact Senator Diaz de la Portilla and Senator Gardiner and urge them to bring these bills before the Senate for a full vote.  The People of Florida deserve to have their Second Amendment rights recognized and respected by our state government.  While anti-gun operatives in the media belittle and mischaracterize these reforms, they are immensely popular with the public at large.  

Regardless of whether or not you support or oppose these bills, you and your colleagues should at least debate them and vote accordingly; it’s your job!  Let these bills succeed or fail on their merits, not be hidden from view by some legislative technicality.  Continuing to exploit our system of government this way is a detestable statement on the character of our elected officials.  

Sincerely,

XXXXXXX

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:34:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Those letters are great. Thanks, will mail out.

Link Posted: 2/8/2016 1:50:17 PM EDT
[#43]
Letters will be going out today, I have been emailing them but have not received even a canned response.
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 2:10:32 PM EDT
[#44]
Good article in the hill addressed to de la portilla, I may print it and and include it in my letters.

http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/civil-rights/268454-rape-survivors-open-letter-to-florida-state-sen-diaz-de-la
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#45]
Orpheus, thanks for the awesome letters.  I'll be sending mine out tonight and you've left no excuse for not sending out a few letters, at least not for everyone that wants to see these measures pass.

FL Hometown Forum: Print, Sign, and Mail!!!
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 5:58:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Sending three letters off today...

With Rubio having his hands full and B. Nelson being antigun, I didn't even bother with either of them

Here's Gov Rick Scott's contact info (didn't see this in the thread):

Governor Rick Scott
State of Florida
The Capitol
400 S. Monroe Street
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0001

(850) 488-7146
Link Posted: 2/8/2016 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#47]
Letters sent to Scott and senators, included the article from the hill in them with the headline bolded and highlighted  "Rape survivor's open letter to Florida State Sen. Diaz de la Portilla on campus carry"
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 8:45:33 AM EDT
[#48]
Here is Senator Diaz de la Portilla's capitol phone number and email address.

Office: 8504875040
Email: [email protected]

I called his office this morning and left a message urging him to bring SB 300 up for a vote in his Judiciary committee.

Please do the same if you haven't already.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:32:38 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Here is Senator Diaz de la Portilla's capitol phone number and email address.

Office: 8504875040
Email: [email protected]

I called his office this morning and left a message urging him to bring SB 300 up for a vote in his Judiciary committee.

Please do the same if you haven't already.
View Quote

Another email sent
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 9:41:47 AM EDT
[#50]
Call email & write!

If you already have, do it again!

Wear them out!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top