Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/27/2015 3:32:52 PM EDT
Someone was shot at the Ancient City Shooting Range. It looks like the victim was behind a target and was shot in the leg/lower abdomen.
Life threatening injuries.

http://www.news4jax.com/news/accidental-shooting-at-gun-range-injures-one/36683488
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow.  Hope the victim makes it okay, and I look forward to hearing more details.  

Standing BEHIND a target at a live range does seem like a fairly awkward decision in my book.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 7:32:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn.

Hope the old dude recovers.
Link Posted: 11/27/2015 8:26:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Hope he makes a healthy recovery.  Something is definetely wrong with that situation.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 9:07:59 AM EDT
[#4]
How could this possibly happen?

Anyone familiar with that place?

I hope he recovers okay.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:31:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How could this possibly happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How could this possibly happen.

"At the time, Duffy believed that Acklan was in the restroom and began to shoot his rifle at the nearest target (25 yards) in the 100 yard stall, deputies said. It is believed that three shots struck Acklan, who was behind the 100-yard target and he fell to the ground."

Still
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 12:39:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Interdasting. So the shooter was focused on the 25-yd target and the vic was behind the 100-yd. I guess that makes a little more sense.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 4:51:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Well, I too hope he recovers, but truth be told that shooting is BS of the first magnitude........What the hell are they doing not checking out the background of the target.......makes me kinda wonder if a bit of darwinian alzhiemers isn't in play.   Hell, I'm 74 and I can assure you there're a lot around my years that need to be in diapers with a leash...sounds like the shooter herein, and possibly his impactee might well fit that bill!!!
Link Posted: 12/3/2015 5:49:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Someone wasn't obeying the rules of the range or foul play. Seems fishy to me that he got hit not once but three times.  Perhaps they were the only ones there, one guy went to his truck while the other was taking care of targets, guy comes back from his truck, doesn't see partner, assumes he went to the bathroom and blasts away? I guess I could see an idiot making that assumption.

I've shot at ancient city a number of times, and they have pretty straight forward rules. Range hot/cold, no touching of firearms while people are down range/breaches open when not in use/etc. They do not have ROs that constantly patrol the range, which is something I liked about the place. That may change I guess.
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 6:02:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been a member of this range for 2 years and cannot see how this scenario could possibly happen.  Maybe you thought your buddy was in the bathroom but you didn't see his feet below a target??  Any normal shooter would at least scan the area before shooting.  The bays are not big and there is no way you could miss a person behind a target.  Seems like foul play to me.  I hate to see this happen because it is a great range and normally you don't have to deal with dumbasses like this.
Link Posted: 12/6/2015 2:46:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Yeah this doesn't  add up. But having said all that. I bet the news screwed it up
Also..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top