Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:17:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm fairly pleased with this.  
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 12:47:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Crossed fingers.
Link Posted: 11/5/2015 1:04:23 AM EDT
[#3]
It almost sounds to good to be true.  Waiting for the catch   ;)
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a  question in regards to SB-300. I thought I read on the concealed carry pamphlet that it's not illegal for a concealed weapon to be exposed if it was done in a non threatening manner. Aka, accidentally.

Is this not true?

Eta: I understand this bill is for full open carry. I'm all for it! I just don't want to get accidentally arrested either.
http://www.flsenate.gov/Laws/Statutes/2012/790.053
View Quote

When they do it, and I can guarantee that some will, it won't be accidental.
Link Posted: 11/6/2015 10:10:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

There's a huge one, I'm just waiting to see when it will be addressed.
My best guess it that it won't be revealed until the bill is up for a final vote, then an amendment will be offered. It's all part of the strategic plan.
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#6]
status?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 8:22:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
status?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
status?

Go here and set up an account at Florida Senate Tracker

Quoted:
I hate the Florida Sheriff's Association.

Fucking cock suckers.

After what they did last time around, I think this covers it quite nicely.

ETA I have an account set up here to watch the progress of these bills.

https://www.flsenate.gov/Login?referrer=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.flsenate.gov%2FLogin%2FIndex%2F2016

From 10/24/2015

HB 0163
Weapons and Firearms Gaetz  Last Action: 10/19/2015 H Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee

SB 0300
Weapons and Firearms Gaetz  Last Action: 10/23/2015 S Now in Judiciary

HB 4001
Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms Steube, Rehwinkel Vasilinda  Last Action: 9/16/2015 H Now in Higher Education and Workforce Subcommittee

Here is the latest update as of 7:21AM 11/9/2015:

HB 0163
Weapons and Firearms Gaetz  Last Action: 10/19/2015 H Now in Justice Appropriations Subcommittee

SB 0300

HB 4001
Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms Steube, Rehwinkel Vasilinda  Last Action: 11/4/2015 H Now in Judiciary Committee

Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:45:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If we cannot get straight up open carry for now it would be nice if there were some incremental improvements such as being able to carry on someone else's private property with their permission or being able to get out of your car to get gas or grab something out of the truck real quick it's just now it's so stressful if you ever need to like grab your cell phone out of the trunk or peek at one of your tires to make sure it is not going flat or whatever. what do you do go to the all the pain in the ass process of removing your holster or do you just take the chance of some zealous antigun cop making you spread eagle on the payment at gunpoint??
f****** b******* that they can tell me that I cannot let my pal carry a gun openly at my house or business or that we have to slink about such anxiety about whether the wind blows open our coat and some cop arrests us!

What would be nice would be a civil fine collectible from the cop himself if it is found that he unlawfully detained you mrerly for being armed outside of other reasonable suspicion. That would put a stop to that b******* real quick
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I really do not know what all that means. So basically all three bills are just going through various committees. Something about making sausage?
Link Posted: 11/9/2015 11:25:47 PM EDT
[#10]
If we get open carry, I will never use an IWB holster again. back to pancake 2/3 slot holsters for me.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 8:35:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If we get open carry, I will never use an IWB holster again. back to pancake 2/3 slot holsters for me.
View Quote

+1

I mostly carry owb now, just have to constantly be checking that it's covered and carry really small pistols. It really would be nice not to have to worry. Plus, all this stuff with people getting arrested for showing a concealed weapon is crazy. I had never heard of that happening until this bill came up.
Link Posted: 11/10/2015 9:00:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1

I mostly carry owb now, just have to constantly be checking that it's covered and carry really small pistols. It really would be nice not to have to worry. Plus, all this stuff with people getting arrested for showing a concealed weapon is crazy. I had never heard of that happening until this bill came up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

I carry a Glock 17 OWB every day and I'm perfectly comfortable doing it. About the only time I check it is getting out of the car and that's only because I always pull my shirt up and tuck it behind the pistol after I put my seat belt on - that might be considered open carry but only if someone could see it, and with the center console, that's not happening.
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 9:45:37 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I really do not know what all that means. So basically all three bills are just going through various committees. Something about making sausage?
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#14]
Any word on this.  When and what the next step is???   Date??
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 3:07:08 PM EDT
[#15]
This needs to happen. I want to carry full-size handgun and a OTW holster with my shirt over it would the best way. I don't like having to worry about my shirt riding up or getting caught above my weapon and me getting busted for it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2015 8:14:20 PM EDT
[#16]
DATE: November 16, 2015
TO: USF & NRA Members and Friends
 USF Executive Director
 NRA Past President

URGENT: CS/HB-163 Open Carry  by Rep. Matt Gaetz is on the agenda for the House Justice Appropriations Committee on Wednesday, November 18 at 1:00pm.

HB-163 is a bill to allow persons with a Concealed Weapons & Firearms License to carry firearms concealed or openly.

It will prevent CW license holders from being charged with the crime of violating the "Open Carry" law because a concealed firearm, being legally carried, accidentally or inadvertently becomes visible to the sight of another person.

ANYTIME YOU CARRY CONCEALED, YOU ARE IN DANGER OF BEING ARRESTED, CHARGED AND PROSECUTED LIKE A CRIMINAL for violating the ban on open carry of firearms, if your gun is accidentally, unintentionally, briefly exposed to the sight of another person.

Our attorneys tell us that the ONLY WAY to completely stop this abuse is to legally allow license holders to carry openly -- then they cannot be charged with violation of the open carry ban no matter how brief the accidental and unintentional exposure.

We need you to contact committee members immediately and urge them to pass this bill.

PLEASE IMMEDIATELY EMAIL Members of the House Criminal Justice Committee and  URGE THEM TO SUPPORT HB-163 By Rep. Matt Gaetz

In the subject line put:  SUPPORT HB-163 -- Stop Abuse of License Holders

(Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
       [email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],

It is imperative that you email these Committee members right away.

BACKGROUND:

FACTS ABOUT FLORIDA'S OPEN CARRY BILL

Despite the misinformation peddled to the press, these are the facts:

1.  This bill only applies to handguns.  Nothing in this bill would authorize the open carry of long guns – rifles or shotguns.

2.  Nothing in this bill in any way impacts the private property rights of others – not of businesses and not of private individuals.

3.  Only a person with a license to carry concealed may choose to carry openly.

4.  The same restrictions that apply to carrying concealed will also apply to open carry. [ s.790.06 ]

5.  No person may carry a firearm around in the hand or exhibit it in a rude careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.  To do so violates existing law. [ s.790.10 ]

6.  A license holder is required -- by existing law -- to show the license to any law enforcement officer who wants to see it -- that's in the original law passed in 1987. [ s.790.06 (1) ]

7.  Businesses have the right to deny entry, refuse service, and/or evict anyone they wish -- unless it's done on the basis of race, gender, or religion.  It is common to see signs that say, "No shoes, no shirt, no service."  Businesses should not be reluctant to post signs saying , "No open carrying of firearms." It's THEIR right.

8.  Seventy percent (70%) of the American public live in open carry states from all regions of the country.  Many of the 45 open carry states have large and diverse cities just like Florida.  No matter where you live geographically, whether it's Trilby, Fla. or Fanning Springs, Fla., you have the same constitutional rights as citizens who live in Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

9.  Forty-five (45) states allow open carry of firearms.      

15 of 45 open carry states require a license to carry concealed or openly.
       30 of 45  open carry states DO NOT require any license to carry openly
0 of 15  carry license states require additional training to carry openly
0 of 45 states offer a separate "open carry" license
2 of 45 states require a holster to open carry.
0 of 45 states require a special retention holster.
5 of 15 are "may-issue" states where law enforcement issues licenses
15 of 15 states require the license holder to produce the license on lawful demand by a law enforcement officer.

10.  Florida is 1 of 5 states that DO NOT allow Open Carry.  The others are California, Illinois, New York and South Carolina.  It's time for Florida to be in better company.

Allowing concealed carry license holders to also carry openly is THE ONLY WAY to stop abuse by law enforcement officers.  License holders continue to be arrested and prosecuted for violation of the law banning open carry when their concealed firearms are accidentally, unintentionally and briefly exposed to the ordinary sign of another person.

Despite efforts in 2011 to stop this abuse continues and it has to stop.

ANYTIME a concealed carry license holder is carrying concealed he/she is in danger of being maliciously and spitefully arrested, charged with a crime and prosecuted like a criminal, if the gun is accidentally seen by another person.

EMAIL COMMITTEE MEMBERS TODAY: Tell them to support HB-163

NRA-ILA: Institute for Legislative Action
FOLLOW NRA-ILA
http://www.nramedia.org/t/5177120/77588532/2233/8/ http://www.nramedia.org/t/5177120/77588532/14271/9/ http://www.nramedia.org/t/5177120/77588532/125/10/ http://www.nramedia.org/t/5177120/77588532/42951/11/

© 2015 National Rifle Association of America, Institute For Legislative Action. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683. Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030.
Please do not reply to this email.
Unsubscribe from this email list | Manage your email lists
Thank you!

ALSO

Florida: NEED HELP:  ANOTHER Committee to Hear Senate Burden of Proof Bill

DATE: November 17, 2015
TO: USF & NRA Members and Friends
 USF Executive Director
 NRA Past President

Multiple gun bills are being heard in several committees this week.  We need your help on a number of them.  The House version of the Burden of Proof bill (HB-169 by Baxley) is being heard tomorrow (see previous Alert) and the Senate version is being heard on Wednesday (please read this Alert.) -- It's the same message for both committees.

SB-344 Burden of Proof  by Sen. Rob Bradley is scheduled to be heard in the Senate Appropriations Subcommittee on Criminal Justice on Wednesday, November 18, 2015 at 10:00AM

SB-344 Burden of Proofrestores the Stand Your Ground law to the original intent of the Legislature by putting the burden of proof BACK ON THE STATE where it belongs.

If you own a gun and you ever have to use it to protect yourself or your family and -- you think, because of the Castle Doctrine/Stand Your Ground law, that the law is on your side, think again.  The Legislature gave you protection in 2005, but prosecutors and the courts have taken it away.

In 2005, the Legislature passed a self-defense law that gives immunity from arrest, detaining in custody, charging and prosecuting -- until and unless an investigation by the state reveals there is probable cause to believe the act was not lawful self-defense.

Prosecutors and the courts didn't like it so they created a special "Stand Your Ground" hearing that forces victims who fight back against criminals to prove they are innocent rather than making the state prove guilt.  This bill stops that and restores the protection the Legislature provided.

It is CRITICAL that you respond by emailing members of the House Criminal Justice Committee.  There are members of this committee who favor prosecutors and the courts INSTEAD OF YOU.

Make no mistake -- a committee member who votes against this bill will be voting against you and your constitutional right of self-defense.

Please EMAIL Committee members IMMEDIATELY and ask them to SUPPORT SB-344 Burden of Proof by Sen. Rob Bradley

IN THE SUBJECT LINE PUT:  SUPPORT SB-344  Restore Self-defense Rights

(To send your message to all just Block and Copy All email addresses into the "Send To" box)

[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected],
[email protected]

Committee members need to hear from YOU  NOW.  Please email Committee Members IMMEDIATELY.

BACKGROUND:

Your right to a presumption of innocence has been hijacked.

Without any legal or constitution authority, Florida Courts & Prosecutors have over ridden the Legislature.

They have willfully usurped the authority of the Legislative Branch because they did not agree with the Legislature.  They created a special "SYG" hearing and reversed the burden of proof from the state to the citizen in self-defense cases.  They are forcing victims to prove they are entitled to the Legislature's protection

This bill reverses their self-serving action and restores the Legislature's actions and intent.

There is clear judicial support for this bill.  Supreme Court Justices Canady and Poltson, in a recent dissenting opinion, made it clear that the majority opinion "substantially curtails the benefit of the immunity from trial conferred by the Legislature under the Stand Your Ground law."

Additionally, Justice Canady wrote that the majority, "cannot justify curtailing the immunity from trial under the Stand Your Ground law for those individuals whose use of force or threat of force is legally justified under the governing statutory standard."

And finally, he wrote that these issues, "are a matter for the Legislature to consider and resolve."

This bill restores the Legislature's intent and once again – as it did in 2005 –  reigns in the courts and prosecutors who have overstepped their constitutional authority and the Legislature's law.

In 2005, citizens who exercised a constitution right – the right of self-defense – were being prosecuted like criminals.  And courts – through jury instructions which were unsupported by law – were imposing  a "duty to retreat" in self-defense cases.

Courts were actually instructing juries to find victims guilty of a crime if the victim had not tried to run away before fighting back against a criminal attack.   That is an indisputable fact.

To restore the constitutional right of self-defense and to stop this judicial system abuse,  the Legislature created a specific, statutory right of immunity for people who defend themselves from attack.

This bill restores the presumption of innocence and puts the burden of proof back on the state where it belongs.

NRA-ILA: Institute for Legislative Action

Link Posted: 11/17/2015 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Done...

Sent the following

Honorable Members of the Florida Senate;

As a Floridian and a Law Enforcement Officer; I stand by the right of the fellow citizens to be legally armed. In light of recent events across the globe and in our own country and state. It is imperative that fellow Floridians are allowed to be able to defend themselves. From Garland, Texas to Tallahassee, Florida and all points across the nation. There have been incidents in which violent individuals have chosen to attack law abiding citizens. Citizens peaceably minding their own business and they have been attacked. Many of these citizens want to protect their homes, families, businesses, and themselves but face criminal prosecution when they do so.

Your right to a presumption of innocence has been hijacked.

Without any legal or constitution authority, Florida Courts & Prosecutors have over ridden the Legislature.

They have willfully usurped the authority of the Legislative Branch because they did not agree with the Legislature. They created a special "SYG" hearing and reversed the burden of proof from the state to the citizen in self-defense cases. They are forcing victims to prove they are entitled to the Legislature's protection

This bill reverses their self-serving action and restores the Legislature's actions and intent.

There is clear judicial support for this bill. Supreme Court Justices Canady and Poltson, in a recent dissenting opinion, made it clear that the majority opinion "substantially curtails the benefit of the immunity from trial conferred by the Legislature under the Stand Your Ground law."

Additionally, Justice Canady wrote that the majority, "cannot justify curtailing the immunity from trial under the Stand Your Ground law for those individuals whose use of force or threat of force is legally justified under the governing statutory standard."

And finally, he wrote that these issues, "are a matter for the Legislature to consider and resolve."

This bill restores the Legislature's intent and once again – as it did in 2005 – reigns in the courts and prosecutors who have overstepped their constitutional authority and the Legislature's law.

In 2005, citizens who exercised a constitution right – the right of self-defense – were being prosecuted like criminals. And courts – through jury instructions which were unsupported by law – were imposing a "duty to retreat" in self-defense cases.

Courts were actually instructing juries to find victims guilty of a crime if the victim had not tried to run away before fighting back against a criminal attack. That is an indisputable fact.

To restore the constitutional right of self-defense and to stop this judicial system abuse, the Legislature created a specific, statutory right of immunity for people who defend themselves from attack.

This bill restores the presumption of innocence and puts the burden of proof back on the state where it belongs.

Thank you for your service to the Great State of Florida and the Citizens that make her Great.

Sincerely,

Miami_JBT
View Quote

Honorable Members of the Florida House of Representatives;

As a Floridian and a Law Enforcement Officer; I stand by the right of the fellow citizens to be legally armed. In light of recent events across the globe and in our own country and state. It is imperative that fellow Floridians are allowed to be able to defend themselves. From Garland, Texas to Tallahassee, Florida and all points across the nation. There have been incidents in which violent individuals have chosen to attack law abiding citizens. Citizens peaceably minding their own business and they have been attacked. Many of these citizens want to protect their homes, families, businesses, and themselves but don't do to certain issues. The requirement to keep a firearm concealed is one of them. In Florida with our hot summers it is not easy to conceal a firearm. It is even harder when one can be arrested for simply having it seen in public.

Floridians arrested for simply following the law and they have cuffs on them because a breeze blew their jacket or shirt open. Or they bent down to tie their shoes or big up their child. Why are we still restricting Floridians from exercising their Second Amendment Rights when Forty Five other States in the Union have Open Carry?

Despite the misinformation peddled to the press, these are the facts:

1. This bill only applies to handguns. Nothing in this bill would authorize the open carry of long guns – rifles or shotguns.

2. Nothing in this bill in any way impacts the private property rights of others – not of businesses and not of private individuals.

3. Only a person with a license to carry concealed may choose to carry openly.

4. The same restrictions that apply to carrying concealed will also apply to open carry. [ s.790.06 ]

5. No person may carry a firearm around in the hand or exhibit it in a rude careless, angry, or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense. To do so violates existing law. [ s.790.10 ]

6. A license holder is required -- by existing law -- to show the license to any law enforcement officer who wants to see it -- that's in the original law passed in 1987. [ s.790.06 (1) ]

7. Businesses have the right to deny entry, refuse service, and/or evict anyone they wish -- unless it's done on the basis of race, gender, or religion. It is common to see signs that say, "No shoes, no shirt, no service." Businesses should not be reluctant to post signs saying , "No open carrying of firearms." It's THEIR right.

8. Seventy percent (70%) of the American public live in open carry states from all regions of the country. Many of the 45 open carry states have large and diverse cities just like Florida. No matter where you live geographically, whether it's Trilby, Fla. or Fanning Springs, Fla., you have the same constitutional rights as citizens who live in Miami, Tampa, or Orlando.

9. Forty-five (45) states allow open carry of firearms.

15 of 45 open carry states require a license to carry concealed or openly.

30 of 45 open carry states DO NOT require any license to carry openly

0 of 15 carry license states require additional training to carry openly

0 of 45 states offer a separate "open carry" license

2 of 45 states require a holster to open carry.

0 of 45 states require a special retention holster.

5 of 15 are "may-issue" states where law enforcement issues licenses

15 of 15 states require the license holder to produce the license on lawful demand by a law enforcement officer.

10. Florida is 1 of 5 states that DO NOT allow Open Carry. The others are California, Illinois, New York and South Carolina. It's time for Florida to be in better company.

Allowing concealed carry license holders to also carry openly is THE ONLY WAY to stop abuse by law enforcement officers. License holders continue to be arrested and prosecuted for violation of the law banning open carry when their concealed firearms are accidentally, unintentionally and briefly exposed to the ordinary sign of another person.

Despite efforts in 2011 to stop this abuse continues and it has to stop.

ANYTIME a concealed carry license holder is carrying concealed he/she is in danger of being maliciously and spitefully arrested, charged with a crime and prosecuted like a criminal, if the gun is accidentally seen by another person.

Thank you for your service to the Great State of Florida and the Citizens that make her Great.

Sincerely,

Miami_JBT
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/18/2015 12:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Emailed.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 3:12:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
This needs to happen. I want to carry full-size handgun and a OTW holster with my shirt over it would the best way. I don't like having to worry about my shirt riding up or getting caught above my weapon and me getting busted for it.
View Quote

This exactly.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:45:48 PM EDT
[#20]

Open-carry bill passes Florida House subcommittee 

House Bill 163 -- sponsored by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach -- narrowly passed the House Justice Appropriations Subcommittee on Wednesday by a 7-6 vote. Tampa Bay-area Republican Reps. Chris Latvala, of Clearwater, and Kathleen Peters, of South Pasadena, joined four Democrats in opposition.

2 republican Quislings voted against along with the democrats.....close call.

Read more:

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/open-carry-gun-bill-narrowly-passes-second-florida-house-panel/2254529
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Open-carry bill passes Florida House subcommittee

House Bill 163 -- sponsored by Rep. Matt Gaetz, R-Fort Walton Beach -- narrowly passed the House Justice Appropriations Subcommittee on Wednesday by a 7-6 vote. Tampa Bay-area Republican Reps. Chris Latvala, of Clearwater, and Kathleen Peters, of South Pasadena, joined four Democrats in opposition.
2 republican Quislings voted against along with the democrats.....close call.

Read more:
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/the-buzz-florida-politics/open-carry-gun-bill-narrowly-passes-second-florida-house-panel/2254529
View Quote

The RINOs have been trying to kill Open Carry every chance they get.
Link Posted: 11/18/2015 11:52:41 PM EDT
[#22]
       So now what?   Never mind. I see that it's headed to the House Judiciary Commitee.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 1:28:55 AM EDT
[#23]
So how many more steps and votes does this have to go???
Are we passed the half way point??   Or is there still a lot more?
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:13:15 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm very hopeful for this but it looks like this one just barely made the cut.  Keep pushing, everyone.  Don't give up.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Anyone else notice how the sheriffs association uses lies and deception to oppose open carry?

"“There might be some that are as loose as this, but those states don’t look like Florida,” Gualtieri said, referencing Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming as examples."

As if those sparsely populated states are the only examples of states where the right to open carry is recognized by state government.

And officially, the association is allegedly "neutral" regarding open carry.

You know you're right when those opposed to you need to resort to lying.

Please keep the pressure on the politicians, even if you don't ever intend to open carry yourself because Florida needs a big gun rights victory right now.

Same goes for the stand your ground and campus carry bills as well.
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 8:35:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Anyone else notice how the sheriffs association uses lies and deception to oppose open carry?

"“There might be some that are as loose as this, but those states don’t look like Florida,” Gualtieri said, referencing Montana, North Dakota and Wyoming as examples."

As if those sparsely populated states are the only examples of states where the right to open carry is recognized by state government.

And officially, the association is allegedly "neutral" regarding open carry.

You know you're right when those opposed to you need to resort to lying.

Please keep the pressure on the politicians, even if you don't ever intend to open carry yourself because Florida needs a big gun rights victory right now.

Same goes for the stand your ground and campus carry bills as well.
View Quote

They were very openly against it, last go around. It was sickening to watch.

Today was a good day. This was a great vote number to see:

HB 4001   -     11/19/2015 House • Favorable by- Judiciary Committee; YEAS 13 NAYS 5
• Placed on Calendar

I added SB0068 to my list the other day. For some reason I didn't have it on there already.

SB 0068
Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms Evers  Last Action: 10/21/2015 S Now in Judiciary

HB 0163
Weapons and Firearms Gaetz  Last Action: 11/18/2015 H CS/CS by Justice Appropriations Subcommittee; YEAS 7 NAYS 6
Location: Acted on by committee/council, pending report (JUAS)  Tracking this Bill  

SB 0300

HB 4001
Licenses to Carry Concealed Weapons or Firearms Steube, Rehwinkel Vasilinda  Last Action: 11/19/2015 H Placed on Calendar

Link Posted: 11/19/2015 11:16:58 PM EDT
[#27]
BETRAYAL: Report on HB-169 Burden of Proof in Committee on 11/17/2015

DATE:November 19, 2015TO:USF & NRA Members and FriendsFROM:Marion P. Hammer USF Executive Director NRA Past President

HB-169 Burden of Proof  by Rep. Dennis Baxley was heard in the House Criminal Justice Committee on Tuesday, November 17, 2015, at 9:00 AM.

In what can only be called a betrayal orchestrated by Republican Committee Chairman, Carlos Trujillo (R-Miami), HB-169 was KILLED on a 6-6 tie vote. It was a betrayal of law-abiding gun owners, the bill sponsor, and the process itself.

Another Republican, Charles Van Zant (R-Keystone Heights) totally sold out law-abiding gun owners by voting with Chairman Trujillo and the Democrats against your self-defense rights.

There were two amendments offered by antigun Democrat Dave Kerner that effectively gutted the bill of penalties to punish prosecutors for abusive behavior.

Chairman Trujillo and Rep. Charles Van Zant voted with Democrats to pass the bad amendments and two Republican committee members got up and left the room before the votes.  Those two are reported to have been asked by Chairman Trujillo to "walk" (leave the room).

Why would a Chairman ask committee members to "walk" before a vote?

Simple, if they were not there to vote against the bad amendments, the amendments would pass -- and they did.  And, if they are not there to vote in favor of a bill, the bill will be killed.  And it was.

So with the help of 4 Republicans, the bad amendments offered by Democrats passed and the bill was killed. 

How they voted:

The votes on the two bad amendments were the same 6-5 for passage:

Voting FOR the Bad Amendments
Randolph Bracy (D)
Dave Kerner (D)
Sharon Pritchett (D)
Charles Van Zant (R)
Clovis Watson (D)
Carlos Trujillo (R)

Voting AGAINST the Amendments
Dennis Baxley (R)
Jay Fant (R)
Gayle Harrell (R)
Scott Plakon (R)
Ross Spano (R)

ABSENT DURING VOTES on AMENDMENTS
Chris Latvala (R)
Ray Pilon (R)

FINALLY, as an insult to the bill Sponsor and supporters of bill, after gutting the bill, they KILLED THE BILL in a 6-6 tie vote -- a tie ALWAYS kills.

Voting AGAINST the BILL
Randolph Bracy (D)
Dave Kerner (D)
Sharon Pritchett (D)
Charles Van Zant (R)
   Clovis Watson (D)
Carlos Trujillo (R)

Voting FOR the BILL
Dennis Baxley (R)
Jay Fant (R)
Gayle Harrell (R)
Ray Pilon (R)
Scott Plakon (R)
Ross Spano (R)

ABSENT FOR THE VOTE ON THE BILL
Chris Latvala (R)

It is important to recognize and remember the committee members who were loyal to the Constitution and your right of self-defense -- as well it is the betrayers.

A report on other bills heard this week will be forthcoming.

FOLLOW NRA-ILA© 2015 National Rifle Association of America, Institute For Legislative Action. To contact NRA-ILA call 800-392-8683. Address: 11250 Waples Mill Road Fairfax, Virginia 22030.
Please do not reply to this email.
Unsubscribe from this email list| Manage your email lists
           Thank you!
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 3:07:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top