Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2015 9:45:10 AM EDT
OK, here's one I didn't see yet (or maybe I missed it ) I'm coming to FL for a vacation. I live in TN and have a valid TN carry permit. TN & FL have a reciprocity agreement. Now, with that out of the way, TN issues a HANDGUN carry permit, whereas FL issues a concealed WEAPON permit. In TN, our HCP does not extend to weapons other than firearms. Once in FL, would I be "legal" to carry a concealed knife? I guess I'm asking if the reciprocity grants "Florida level" concealed weapon status while I'm in the state of FL....make sense?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 9:55:14 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer the reciprocity question, but depending on the knife you might not need a license at all. Common pocket knives (folders and such) are not defined as weapons in Florida statutes, they are common pocket knives or tools and not subject to CCW provisions. OTF autos on the other hand do require CCW license best I can tell from the definitions.

I know, clear as mud, huh? Might want to wait for the smart people to show up and answer.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I think you will find what you need here http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
I believe that since you're subject to Florida law when you're here in Florida, your permit allows you to carry whatever is legal here in Florida.

Be aware that there is no state pre-emption  of knife laws in this  state and, for example, some localities like Miami Dade County  don't allow the carrying of automatic knives.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 12:49:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you will find what you need here http://handgunlaw.us/states/florida.pdf
View Quote

the answer was there...TY
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OK, here's one I didn't see yet (or maybe I missed it ) I'm coming to FL for a vacation. I live in TN and have a valid TN carry permit. TN & FL have a reciprocity agreement. Now, with that out of the way, TN issues a HANDGUN carry permit, whereas FL issues a concealed WEAPON permit. In TN, our HCP does not extend to weapons other than firearms. Once in FL, would I be "legal" to carry a concealed knife? I guess I'm asking if the reciprocity grants "Florida level" concealed weapon status while I'm in the state of FL....make sense?
View Quote

There's a Florida Gun Law Section?

Yes. But...

One thing you have to be aware of is that our preemption law does not cover knives, and a few localities have their own ordinances, Miami (South NY/NJ) is one I know off the top of my head.

Most local laws can be found at https://www.municode.com/library/fl
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:23:42 PM EDT
[#6]
I was told that my CWP included my ballistic (automatic) knives.  I am not sure if there is reciprocity outside of your handgun.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:57:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was told that my CWP included my ballistic (automatic) knives.  I am not sure if there is reciprocity outside of your handgun.
View Quote

By ballistic, if you mean a spring loaded knife that propels the blade out of the handle, your CWFL does NOT cover it.  Ballistic knives are banned in Florida.  By automatic, you mean a "switch blade" then, yes you are covered by your license.

Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:58:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

The statute enumerates what you can carry while in Florida.

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes/index.cfm?App_mode=Display_Statute&Search_String=&URL=0700-0799/0790/Sections/0790.06.html

For the purposes of this section, concealed weapons or concealed firearms are defined as a handgun, electronic weapon or device, tear gas gun, knife, or billie, but the term does not include a machine gun as defined in s. 790.001(9).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top