Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2015 11:27:00 AM EDT
Gaetz said the bill "restores and vindicates" Second Amendment rights and promotes public safety. But those with concerns said the proposal should, at a minimum, include better training requirements and also better shield property owners' rights if they don't want weapons in their homes or businesses.

5 states and the District of Columbia prohibit openly carrying weapons: Florida, California, Illinois, New York and South Carolina.

Vehement opponents said an open-carry law in Florida would instill fear, rather than calm.

"When I am out at Starbucks and there's a cop there with his gun, it's intimidating and it's scary," said Shawn Bartelt, a retiree and mother of two teenagers from Orlando. "I do not want to walk around when I walk my dogs and know that somebody's carrying a gun out there. ... I don't want my kids raised in a world where we're being less civilized."
View Quote

LOL

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/openly-carry-guns-in-florida-bill-clears-first-hurdle-in-state-house/ar-AAfbigQ?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=wispr
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 12:15:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:38:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Gaetz said the bill "restores and vindicates" Second Amendment rights and promotes public safety. But those with concerns said the proposal should, at a minimum, include better training requirements and also better shield property owners' rights if they don't want weapons in their homes or businesses.

5 states and the District of Columbia prohibit openly carrying weapons: Florida, California, Illinois, New York and South Carolina.

Vehement opponents said an open-carry law in Florida would instill fear, rather than calm.

"When I am out at Starbucks and there's a cop there with his gun, it's intimidating and it's scary," said Shawn Bartelt, a retiree and mother of two teenagers from Orlando. "I do not want to walk around when I walk my dogs and know that somebody's carrying a gun out there. ... I don't want my kids raised in a world where we're being less civilized."
View Quote

LOL

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/openly-carry-guns-in-florida-bill-clears-first-hurdle-in-state-house/ar-AAfbigQ?li=AAa0dzB&ocid=wispr
View Quote

"An armed society is a polite society"
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:06:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Gotta give the media props...they've done a great job of portraying people with carry licenses as being dangerous criminals.  And lucky for them there are enough ignorant people out there to buy into it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:19:39 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

One could also say 45 states permit it to varying degress but why focus on the positive
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:27:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 10:34:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL

View Quote

Watched her full testimony from 30:35 to 33:57 at House Judiciary Hearing

If she feels so safe, why does she carry a heavy flashlight and have a dog?  And I love how she's concerned about tourists visiting FL and being around people who carry guns.  Considered there are 45 states with open carry, what do you think the chances are that they are visiting from an open carry state?
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 3:57:08 AM EDT
[#7]
alright can we start a pool on when this will die ? I want February
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 6:06:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I'll take April 1

since it Fools day
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 7:06:49 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't pick a date because I think it will make it through committee but never be brought to the full House for a vote (I wonder where I got that idea?).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top