Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2015 8:02:57 AM EDT
Went to the general meeting last night.

Overall, thought it was a nice place.  Yeah, lots of rules, but they make sense to me and I'm not looking to be Rambo, just looking for a fairly nice place to shoot outdoors.  Admittedly, the range dues seem high, but if they offer matches and a chance to learn a whole lot more than I know now, then I don't mind paying.

What are your thoughts/experiences?  I searched and found some older threads....I think the most recent was from 2013, but things may have changed and different people might have some input now.

Talk to me!
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 2:41:35 PM EDT
[#1]
100+ views and no responses?

....is there something I should know about this place?
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 5:54:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I almost went to that meeting last night. The range is only 10 minutes from my house.
Link Posted: 10/6/2015 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#3]
I did attend a class there once and really like their facility which is why i went to the meeting.

I attended their meeting last year as I wanted to use their Action Bay, but in order to do so it required participating in matches for which I have no time.
As a result, I joined a different range.

Very rarely will you find a single range that meets all your requirements so if you really liked what you see then join so you can post back with your feedback.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:18:15 AM EDT
[#4]
I looked into them a few years ago and got the same overall impression. A bit pricey, with lots of rules and hoops to jump through.

They're about an hour from my home, and I just decided that I didn't have the time to invest in order to make it worthwhile.

I'm curious if there's any concerns over the new development just to be south. I know they're next to the Orange County Sheriff's range, which can't hurt their cause, but I'm also sure all the yanks about to move in will complain. I do a lot of surveying in that area and it's going to change drastically over the next few years.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 7:47:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I looked into them a few years ago and got the same overall impression. A bit pricey, with lots of rules and hoops to jump through.

They're about an hour from my home, and I just decided that I didn't have the time to invest in order to make it worthwhile.

I'm curious if there's any concerns over the new development just to be south. I know they're next to the Orange County Sheriff's range, which can't hurt their cause, but I'm also sure all the yanks about to move in will complain. I do a lot of surveying in that area and it's going to change drastically over the next few years.
View Quote

That was brought up in the General meeting...  something to the tune of "we can't go anywhere else."   We'll see.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 2:08:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I attended their meeting last year as I wanted to use their Action Bay, but in order to do so it required participating in matches for which I have no time.
View Quote

Same problem I had.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 3:36:19 PM EDT
[#7]
email sent.
Link Posted: 10/7/2015 4:06:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I wanted and still kinda-of-want to be a member there, but I want the ability to setup my own 'courses' in action bays and apparently you can't do that.

Not sure if you can bring your own steel/use range steel targets on the 100-300yd range and set them up as you place, either?
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 1:28:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I’ve been a member for a long time. It’s a nice place but it takes me so long to get there.

Be prepared for a long orientation. You might get out around 12 at best, but it’ll probably be longer.

I don’t like how you can’t just shoot at any range. In order to shoot at each range you need to qualify. You also can’t just qualify on say the 300. You have to move down the line, 25/50/100/300. The action range is the worst since you have to compete in 7, yes that’s right, SEVEN matches before you can even take the orientation class for it. You could easily shoot 200 rounds a match, so it gets expensive.

It’s not all bad though. Almost everyone I meet there is well behaved. Most would let you try their own guns if you’re interested, or would let you borrow things without much thought. Every club has its assholes, but I think the fees keep the majority of them away. That and I’m sure the threat of having the Swat range next door is on their minds.

If you want to avoid the fees they’re always looking for RSO’s.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:37:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I’ve been a member for a long time. It’s a nice place but it takes me so long to get there.

Be prepared for a long orientation. You might get out around 12 at best, but it’ll probably be longer.

I don’t like how you can’t just shoot at any range. In order to shoot at each range you need to qualify. You also can’t just qualify on say the 300. You have to move down the line, 25/50/100/300. The action range is the worst since you have to compete in 7, yes that’s right, SEVEN matches before you can even take the orientation class for it. You could easily shoot 200 rounds a match, so it gets expensive.

It’s not all bad though. Almost everyone I meet there is well behaved. Most would let you try their own guns if you’re interested, or would let you borrow things without much thought. Every club has its assholes, but I think the fees keep the majority of them away. That and I’m sure the threat of having the Swat range next door is on their minds.

If you want to avoid the fees they’re always looking for RSO’s.
View Quote

I've decided to advance with this and take the general orientation this Saturday.  You touch on a big issue with me -- the assholes that often frequent ranges, and I agree with the fees keeping most of them away.  I'm used to indoor ranges...idiots and asshats tend to flock there, so I'm hoping this will be a nice change of pace.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.
Link Posted: 10/8/2015 8:37:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
email sent.
View Quote

Thanks for your email.  Read it.  Decided to join and will take the general orientation this Saturday.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 12:53:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Let me know how you like it...if you remember
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 2:46:29 PM EDT
[#13]
I was a member there. Lots of upstanding members. ALL good people. The "process" of joining, background checks, and range dues keep out the riffraff. If you don't like the yearly range dues, volunteer for the gun show or even the monthly youth shoots as a RO. You'll get credit for hours volunteered and might not even owe anything.
The monthly pistol matches are great. Particularly the bowling pin matches
I moved to the panhandle, otherwise I'd still be there.
Link Posted: 10/9/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I too would be interested in an AAR on the process and your Initial impressions of being a member.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 7:47:49 AM EDT
[#15]
I couldn't make the orientation today, but am planning on attending next Sunday.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 8:40:48 AM EDT
[#16]
I just go to the other range next door.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:14:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Very cool, and thanks for your service.  Saw you chaps out there during the night of my general meeting...cars with lights and a whole mess of deputies.  Looked like a big exercise of some kind.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:17:02 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Very cool, and thanks for your service.  Saw you chaps out there during the night of my general meeting...cars with lights and a whole mess of deputies.  Looked like a big exercise of some kind.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was out there training new recruits. I'm surprised I still have any hair left! It has gotten grayer since I started as an adjunct.
Link Posted: 10/10/2015 9:23:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I was out there training new recruits. I'm surprised I still have any hair left! It has gotten grayer since I started as an adjunct.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My father and grandfather were both Chiefs. Both grayed early, and neither took any guff from anyone. ;)

A friend of mine's brother does something (I forget) with OC SWAT, you shoot with those guys?
Link Posted: 10/11/2015 1:41:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I wanted and still kinda-of-want to be a member there, but I want the ability to setup my own 'courses' in action bays and apparently you can't do that.

Not sure if you can bring your own steel/use range steel targets on the 100-300yd range and set them up as you place, either?
View Quote

You can bring your own steel for action, 100, 300.. just remember

1) It must be against the berm,
2) it must be angled down, or designed to swing
3) it must be a real steel target intended for the purpose
4) 10yd for pistol/RF, 100 for rifle

It is very tedious to get permission to use the action range, but you have to consider the very high level of trust involved in letting you do relatively high risk shooting basically unwatched
Link Posted: 10/13/2015 1:26:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

It is very tedious to get permission to use the action range, but you have to consider the very high level of trust involved in letting you do relatively high risk shooting basically unwatched
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is there still a 'tactical 2-gun' that is hosted here? Similar to CFDCC at Volusia?

I was told there was one but could never find out any information. I have no problem attending 7 of those
Link Posted: 10/17/2015 9:31:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/20/2015 6:06:14 PM EDT
[#23]
General Orientation was great.  Definitely looking forward to joining, just need to make up some stands, get my sign-offs, and pay my dues.
Link Posted: 10/25/2015 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#24]
It is a nice shooting facility and the 3 Gun program is a lot of fun. The only problem I had was after driving 1hr 45min to get there at 7:45 before the shooting had even started we stepped out of the truck in the parking area to stretch our legs and 2 guys riding by on a Kawasaki mule started hollering at us to put our safety glasses on. That was kind of irritating since it was only 7:45am and the range doesn't officially open until 8:00am and we were in the parking area. I can understand and appreciate safety but that seemed a little harsh to me.
Link Posted: 10/28/2015 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

That was brought up in the General meeting...  something to the tune of "we can't go anywhere else."   We'll see.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They used to be located over where Universal studios is . I am not sure they could move again.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 11:56:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

They used to be located over where Universal studios is . I am not sure they could move again.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They talked about this.  They said they didn't know where they'd go if they had to move again.
Link Posted: 10/29/2015 2:40:01 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm planning to go to the meeting this Monday night.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#28]
Update on this - almost forgot about this thread!    

Completed my 3 sign-offs, so at the next general membership meeting I will don the black robe, light the sacred candle and chant the ancient words of initiation and join the CFRPC.

Overall, my experience has been very positive.  I'm learning to appreciate more the level of trust involved.  Once a member, so long as it's during 'open' times and I behave according to the rules, I can pretty much show up and do what I want (so long as I shoot where qualified, etc.).   I don't get the impression that the RSO's are overly bossy, quite the opposite in fact, based solely on my experience.  Met some cool people there, too.   Looking forward to it being 'my' space.  The girlfriend can go do her Zumba and I'll go send some lead downrange.  Definitely looking forward to qualifying on the 100 and 300 meter ranges....  I may or may not have a nice, new .308 on it's way to my LGS because of it!  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top