Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 12:00:38 PM EDT
Whats up guys? I am in West Palm Beach for my sons surgery (which was successful) and will remain here until mid OCT. I am looking for some insight on fishing down here. I haven't fished much and want to get into it. Im wondering what kind of rigs you guys down here are using? What kind of bait? Tried and true areas?

Any general insight on the area or fishing here is appreciated.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 2:47:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Fish the beach during the mullet run. Great fishing.

Go into a local tackle shop for details.

Grand slam tackle in Palm Beach.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 7:57:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Surf casting an out going tide at dusk/night/early morning is pretty reliable. Sharks are fairly common but obviously depends on what you're using for bait.

Find a bait & tackle shop close to your AO and seek some specific direction.

Snook fishing inlets and around bridges is a blast. Pound for pound one of the best fighting fish around. Many restrictions on actually keeping them, so be prepared to throw'em back.

Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#3]
shoot SlugO a PM, he's by far the surf fishing expert IMO
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:37:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Ill check out that tackle shop tomorrow. Thanks!

If anyone's got a boat and wants to go find some big suckers ill pay for fuel!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 8:37:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
shoot SlugO a PM, he's by far the surf fishing expert IMO
View Quote

Will do!
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:19:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Is there an all around good # line i can use. Something strong enough to catch the tough predator fish but not overkill for smaller fish?
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 10:33:00 PM EDT
[#7]
http://www.nitelitecharters.com/home/

Give Steve a call. He is a good guy that I have known for 45 years.
Link Posted: 8/31/2015 11:22:00 PM EDT
[#8]

Ive seen his website before, looks legit and i would if i had 350 bucks to blow, but i dont!
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 6:22:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Ive seen his website before, looks legit and i would if i had 350 bucks to blow, but i dont!
View Quote

Gotcha- he and I and other friends have pulling fish out of that area since we could put on our own pants. Our parents settled in the area back around 1960 or so. Great fishing there.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Got the rig I need at grand slam and headed to jenson beach tonight. I'll keep you guys updated and post pics!
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Jrc, update?
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 12:17:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Caught what seemed to be some red porgy and pompano. I didnt know they were on the line. I happen to just reel the line in to check bait and boom there they were.

I used live shrimp cut in half ( so i guess kinda alive). That was on Jenson beach. Im going to try west palm beach soon. I want to catch something bigger!
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:22:34 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Caught what seemed to be some red porgy and pompano. I didnt know they were on the line. I happen to just reel the line in to check bait and boom there they were.

I used live shrimp cut in half ( so i guess kinda alive). That was on Jenson beach. Im going to try west palm beach soon. I want to catch something bigger!
View Quote

If you're surf casting, and you want something bigger, you're gonna need bigger bait.

We used to take a 5lb Bonita as bait, cut 3-4 cuts along each side to let the oil and blood create a scent trail. On an out going tide, we used a beach ball as a bobber and let the Bonita hang 6-10 feet down. We'd usually swim the bait past any breakers. Tide takes the bait out, and we'd sit and have some beer, and use other rods for smaller fish closer in. Obviously you'd need a shark hook, leader and some decent line.....but getting a shark on the line wasn't uncommon, and you'll know you've got something on the hook, trust me.

Live bait, not shrimp cut in half......there is no substitute.

Good luck.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 11:59:00 AM EDT
[#14]
M4 and JRC - My son with one of the smaller sharks they catch off Singer Island's beach on a fairly regular basis. They use ocean kayaks to take the rigged baits 100-200+ yards offshore and then just wait for the tick tick tick of the drag. Crazy!

JRC - If you want to see what M4 is gushing about, check out some of my son's buddy Josh's videos at this link. But, if you are a nervous ocean swimmer, maybe you want to avoid the shore-fishing videos....

https://www.youtube.com/user/BlacktipH
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 9:34:59 PM EDT
[#15]
God dam! That is awesome !
Link Posted: 9/8/2015 10:02:57 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

M4 and JRC - My son with one of the smaller sharks they catch off Singer Island's beach on a fairly regular basis. They use ocean kayaks to take the rigged baits 100-200+ yards offshore and then just wait for the tick tick tick of the drag. Crazy!
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B6de75qIcAEJg17.jpg
JRC - If you want to see what M4 is gushing about, check out some of my son's buddy Josh's videos at this link. But, if you are a nervous ocean swimmer, maybe you want to avoid the shore-fishing videos....
https://www.youtube.com/user/BlacktipH
View Quote

I know the feeling, lots of fun.

Always exciting getting that mystery shark on the line, in to the shallow water near the beach and going down to get that sucker landed at night. Got to pay attention where that lines going.

Great vids by the way.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top