Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2015 1:15:23 PM EDT
The pass has a little sand bar on the north side.

So when it  is rough everyone uses the south side except this guy.

First pic you can see the whitewater to the right of the green sign. That's the sand bar.

Second pic is the boat coming in.

Third pic is where he shit his pants.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:19:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:37:00 PM EDT
[#2]
So is he on the sand bar or just in a trough?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:42:05 PM EDT
[#3]
"Local Knowledge Required"
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:42:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Trough
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

trough

edit: I see I came in late. Already answered.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
That's a light chop on the east coast.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:03:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Alright - talk me through this (sorry, as a Captain I'm always looking for learning opportunities from other's mistakes )

Here's where google maps places Gordon Pass.  Doesn't look too bad besides the obvious shoals inside the inlet (as there always are).  

NOAA chart 11430 shows a series of markers and a 3' to 4' shoal to the north.  Did this guy seriously take the green marker on his starboard inbound on something marked this clearly?  Must be from Miami

I'm surprised his boat (~23' CC?) wouldn't have just pushed through it.  Yesterday high tide (3'+) was at 2 p.m. and low (0' above MLW) was 9:30 p.m.  I would have expected at least 1' above MLW at the time this was taken - on top of the charted 3' to 4' depths.  I guess the waves were big enough that he bottomed out in the trough.  Hopefully a painless lesson to learn about navigation beacons....

ETA: I see I'm too late too.  I still have to laugh at WyattEarp's signature line in this case!
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Black Fox:

The sand bar is outside or north of the green marker. To the right of the green marker in pic 1. You can see the whitewater.
That sand bar effects the seas inside the channel or left of the green marker.

The north side of the pass by the green marker is always rougher
than the south side by the red marker.

When it is rough, everyone uses the south side of the pass.

So, if you were going out you would stay towards the middle of the channel
while incoming boats would stay closer to the red markers on the south side.

Almost no one comes in or out by the green marker when it is rough.

I am not a good explainer sometimes.

I am not a good explainer with the printed word.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Makes sense!  Thanks.  Basically, you're getting 'inlet like' behavior outside of the inlet because of the shoaling outside.  I run larger boats, so worry about depth and generally don't worry about seas.  That's helpful....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top