Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2015 11:25:03 AM EDT
I had a 2004 Kenner 2102 that was a good boat, but just expensive to use and was a pain

in the rump to tow to the coast and maintain.

Years ago i had a 15 foot skiff with a 40hp motor. I ran than thing all over and it sipped

gas. I missed it and decided to down size to something we could use when we use our travel trailer.

Here it is in progress. I believe it will serve us well. It is very stable and will make a good

fishing boat that sips gas and runs shallow.

2015 Gheenoe 15 4 and a 2006 Nissan (Tohatsu) 6hp kicker.

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 3:37:55 PM EDT
[#1]
But, can you stand up in it to pee ???
What's the battery for ??

Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:40:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes I can stand up with ease. Much more stable than a canoe. The battery was for the trolling motor I have been using until I got a motor.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:58:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool!  Gheenoes have a hell of a good reputation, plus get into really skinny water.  Enjoy!
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks great good luck with it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I sold my Ghee last year and miss it.  Best skinny water boat there is.  I would run the back country NMZ canals in Flamingo and kill the snook and reds.  Wait till you take a short cut back and a larger flats boat tried to follow :))
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The 6hp will move it ok (about 13mph) but you may wish for a little more. A 9.9hp is just about perfect (though some of the 4 strokes are a bit on the heavy side). Very easy and useful boats.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:19:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a 9.9 Merc 4stroke. I wish I would have gone with a more powerful & lighter 2 stroke.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I've got a buddy with a 25, power pole, and poling platform on a gheenoe. It will haul tail and get real skinny.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#9]
I own a 2008 Low Tide 25 center console Gheenoe with a 25 Suzuki 4-stroke. With 2 people in it I can get 25 mph out of it and can get into 6" of water.

Great fishing boat.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#10]
looks great.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:43:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice rig!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:05:32 PM EDT
[#12]
be sure to join us at the official gheenoe forum  http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
be sure to join us at the official gheenoe forum  http://www.customgheenoe.com/forum/
View Quote

+1

Great resource
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 12:05:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Nice!
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:26:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks

I have to keep it simple as I will be carrying it like this a lot. Flush mount seat mounts are

needed and I need to ad a trolling motor mount on the bow. The 6HP motor moves it fast enough for

my needs. Weather prohibited me from really evaluating everything. Believe I have the trim

set correct now.

Looking forward to using it more.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:29:30 PM EDT
[#16]
I had a 15' 4" Gheenoe with a 9.9 Mercury 2 Stroke on it, that Motor was fairly light and pushed the Gheenoe around 23mph with Me and My son in it. We caught a lot of fish out of it. I sold it in 2007 and lateron bought a 13' Gheeoe and put a 9.9 Mercury 4 Stroke on it, I never did GPS that one but it felt like it ran around 20-21mph that 4 Stroke just didn't perform as well as the 2 stroke did. That 15.4 will handle a 15hp 2 stroke easily if you ever decide to go bigger. And you can usually find a nice 2 stroke 9.9-15hp for 6-900.00 Good Luck and enjoy.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#17]
My normal fishing area is Eastern Tampa Bay. Boat ramp to fishing is a few minutes. No need for

20 MPH. I did look for 10HP 2 stroke Mercs but they are few and far between. Most looked like

they had been through the ringer. I did not want to fight with marine patrol on engine size. The

15 4  is rated at 10HP

The Nissan is a Tohatsu as are many other small motors. It was very clean and functioned

flawlessly. I have no regrets.That thing sips gas.

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:22:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
My normal fishing area is Eastern Tampa Bay. Boat ramp to fishing is a few minutes. No need for
20 MPH. I did look for 10HP 2 stroke Mercs but they are few and far between. Most looked like
they had been through the ringer. I did not want to fight with marine patrol on engine size. The
15 4  is rated at 10HP

The Nissan is a Tohatsu as are many other small motors. It was very clean and functioned
flawlessly. I have no regrets.That thing sips gas.
View Quote

The 6hp sounds like it's is better for your use, I just liked a bit more speed

The 6hp (mine was Tohatsu marked) does sip gas, I don't think I ever used more than half my 3 gal tank on a trip. Super quiet except when it was near full throttle (apparently the single piston engines do that). Might have been even more noticeable on mine since it is an old one with metal side rails than probably rattle more than the rubber ones. Easy to handle taking on/off too for your mode of transportation.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a 15'4" Hi Sider with a 15 hp Yamaha 2 stroke. It will do about thirty mph with myself, 5 gallons of gas and gear. It's a heck of a lot of fun, just make sure to put some weight in the front because you can get a pretty good porpoise going with the 15 and a lot of weight in the back. The 15 hp weighs the same as the 9.9 yammy.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:46:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 17' canoe. No registration needed, right?
Now if I hang a trolling motor on it, will I all of a sudden need a registration?

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 8:51:16 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 17' canoe. No registration needed, right?Now if I hang a trolling motor on it, will I all of a sudden need a registration?

View Quote

I believe that is true. No motor no registration numbers needed.

Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:15:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Correct me if I'm wrong. I have a 17' canoe. No registration needed, right?Now if I hang a trolling motor on it, will I all of a sudden need a registration?

View Quote

To my understanding yes.

You want to use my trolling motor?
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

To my understanding yes.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

To my understanding yes.

I'd love to!
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 3:36:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

You're 100% correct... and the ticket I got 3 years ago validates that statement!
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:34:08 PM EDT
[#26]
MW i would suggest a mount for the Trolling Motor unless your canoe has a square stern,
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Building a bow mount for the Stern mount trolling motor I have. Flipped

the head around on the trolling motor and it will clamp on here.

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:24:42 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

MW i would suggest a mount for the Trolling Motor unless your canoe has a square stern,
View Quote
Why? Won't just clamp on?

Link Posted: 8/26/2015 7:29:08 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It would be out at an angle and be all weird. Also there is not much meat to clamp against and will

scratch up the canoe.

You could build something like I did for the bow on my Gheenoe.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top