Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2015 7:19:34 PM EDT
In Florida, about 1.5-2 2 hours South of Tampa for the week. It's the wife, 5 boys (age 8-19) and me.  Thinking that we'd really enjoy a fishing trip. As many time as I've been down here, I've never done it and I want to give the family a cool experience that doesn't involve stupid shit like Disney. Can anyone recommend a good person/company to call that's within a couple hours of us. I've been told that there is a charter or party boat option. Any advice on which to go for?  What's a good duration for being out, etc?  I don't mind spending money for a good experience, but we are on somewhat of a budget here.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#1]
The weather is going to hinder anything "offshore" in the Gulf for the next few days. The Middle Grounds, 60 - 80 miles out, is THE place to go, but you probably wont like the ride right now.

Steinhatchee has some good fishing a little closer in and I use to go out with The Jolly Roger 2, but I haven't been out in a while so don't know if he's even still in business.

You might check over on http://www.floridasportsman.com/ for a decent charter in your area.

Good luck & have fun!

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 8:57:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Speargun!  Yeah, it looks kind of rough out there, but I'm here for the rest of the week. Hoping there's a day where it's calm enough to go out.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:43:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Where are you, Ft Myers area?  I'd go with a charter over a cattle boat, but some of the cattle boats can still be fun on a budget.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:36:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
In Florida, about 1.5-2 2 hours South of Tampa for the week. It's the wife, 5 boys (age 8-19) and me.  Thinking that we'd really enjoy a fishing trip. As many time as I've been down here, I've never done it and I want to give the family a cool experience that doesn't involve stupid shit like Disney. Can anyone recommend a good person/company to call that's within a couple hours of us. I've been told that there is a charter or party boat option. Any advice on which to go for?  What's a good duration for being out, etc?  I don't mind spending money for a good experience, but we are on somewhat of a budget here.

Thanks in advance!

-Justin
View Quote

Go to the Crystal River area and hire a guide to take you scalloping. It's probably the most bang for the buck and your kids will love it. Plus, it fits the budget description. A good resource on guides will be the big bend forum over on floridasportsman.com.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where are you, Ft Myers area?  I'd go with a charter over a cattle boat, but some of the cattle boats can still be fun on a budget.
View Quote

Thanks, Dogue

We're about halfway between Sarasota and Ft. Meyers, on Knight Island close to Englewood.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Go to the Crystal River area and hire a guide to take you scalloping. It's probably the most bang for the buck and your kids will love it. Plus, it fits the budget description. A good resource on guides will be the big bend forum over on floridasportsman.com.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

-Justin

Scalloping, sounds interesting, I'll check it out. Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:45:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks in advance!

-Justin

Crystal river will be about a 3 hour drive from where you are staying. though, it will definitely be fun for the entire family.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 1:02:19 AM EDT
[#8]
A buddy of mine has a offshore charter business in Clearwater.  He has 3 nice boats, very reasonable on price and  you will come home with fish.  

2 Shea Charters

Fishanddivetampa.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top