Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2015 10:02:36 PM EDT
I would like to buy a boat. I've been able to own an airplane for years now and have managed to stay in the black and would now like to get a boat. I am in the Tampa Bay area and I know little about how to go about getting something. My thoughts are that I'd like something that's used enough for the bugs to have been worked out, small enough for a first timer to handle and something that I'd use in the bay or near the gulf shore and I'd keep it dry docked at a marina. I'm thinking that something in the 20-30ft range with one or two outboard engines in the 100-200HP range that could handle 8-10 people would be plenty adequate.

My target price is "as cheap as possible," but not a complete ragged out POS. Think the boating equivalent of a 2004 F150 with 80,000 miles, but not a 1986 GMC Jimmy.

Growing up we had a Hurricane that we'd take out on the lake and I'd think something like that would be perfect for my mission. My issue is that I don't have the best personality or the time to go around to dealerships without first getting some leads. I've seen some people pick up decent used boats for around $2k, and other offer pieces of junk for around $4k and my budget is whatever the minimum is to get into something that would be sound when I purchased it. My time is limited and I know how maintenance goes, but I'd any pointers you guys have for a first timer that point me to a reputable dealership or a lead on someone who's looking to upgrade what they've got, I'd appreciate it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:05:38 AM EDT
[#1]
A 30 foot boat with twin 200's is going to cost you A LOT more than $2-4k, and is not something I would call a beginner boat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 8:55:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Whatever boat you choose, stick with Yamaha outboards for the most part (HPDI's can be iffy, however). There's a reason most boats you see in saltwater have Yamahas.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 9:26:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Hurricane deck boats are common in the Gulf/Intercoastal so if that's something you like then you have a starting point.  A reliable boat that can carry 8-10 people isn't likely to come cheap.  Your best bet might be a pontoon boat for taking out bigger groups, and they cost significantly less than a fiberglass boat.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I think you need to head over to www.thehulltruth.com and do a lot more research. A good quality boat in the size you're looking for with twins you're looking at $40k plus.

For Tampa bay and near shore a big bay boat sounds like more of what you want, but even then your budget isn't even remotely close.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 10:58:41 AM EDT
[#5]
n/m!  didn't read op very well

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 11:10:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I agree with Dogue.  If  8-10 people is important then a pontoon boat is for you unless you want to spend a lot of money.  8-10 people is a lot of people for a boat and you would really want something in the 30+ foot range.  Not that you can't have 8-10 people on a smaller boat it just gets really crowded.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hurricane deck boats are common in the Gulf/Intercoastal so if that's something you like then you have a starting point.  A reliable boat that can carry 8-10 people isn't likely to come cheap.  Your best bet might be a pontoon boat for taking out bigger groups, and they cost significantly less than a fiberglass boat.
View Quote
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:10:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Father in law has a 45 viking boat for sale in pcola. I think 200k. He would include a full tank of gas with it for free and have it delivered.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 12:11:04 PM EDT
[#8]
That's 500 gallons of gas at 3 a gallon.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 2:19:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Boats are not cheap. I just sold a 2004 Kenner 2102 for $10k, which was slightly less than 1/2 of what I paid for it

For the amount of money that you are wanting to spend you are in the pontoon

boat market like others said.

Go to Boat Trader and put in your budget amount and see what pops ups.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:08:55 PM EDT
[#10]
OP, just remember the two happiest days for a boat owner are the day he bought it, and the day he sold it!!
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 5:28:05 PM EDT
[#11]
I am in the market for a small outboard for the Gheenoe I bought a couple

months ago and was shocked that a New 10HP retails for around $2k and up.

Used 5 to 10 hp outboards are running $400 to $1000 for 10 year old models.

Link Posted: 7/25/2015 6:27:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
OP, just remember the two happiest days for a boat owner are the day he bought it, and the day he sold it!!
View Quote

And they say if it flies, floats or fucks that you're better off renting it. For the most part, owning an airplane has been good to me.

Also, I've got a feeling that there's an order of magnitude higher costs with aircraft ownership. A GPS is around $15,000-20,000 for a basic certified unit, an engine rebuild is $25,000 for a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder (new is over 50k, 100k+ for a six cylinder). I had an engine monitor installed a few months ago for $6,000.

It's looking like 10-15k will get me into something that fits my mission.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 7:02:52 PM EDT
[#13]
How about this, look for a boat that's been stripped of it's engine(s) by the former owner, then buy a new outboard and it's gauges/throttles and whatever else and put it together yourself. It's been my experience you get the most for your money this way. Don't be afraid to negotiate on the hull, banks won't finance them and buyers are tough to find.

You also might want to consider something in the 26' or larger range around Tampa bay and the intercoastal, otherwise you have to stop every two minutes while you nose into the wake of a big Searay that just went plowing past you.
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

hold on to your ass if you ever need to look in the 300 hp range
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 11:18:20 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh I knew about them, just did not realize the little motors went up so much.

When I bought the Kenner the 150 carbed saltwater motor cost about 3000.

Now something comparable is over 6000.

Link Posted: 7/26/2015 5:50:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Whatever boat you choose, stick with Yamaha outboards for the most part (HPDI's can be iffy, however). There's a reason most boats you see in saltwater have Yamahas.
View Quote

Yep, it's called dealer incentive.
Let's just agree that I'll have to disagree with you.
Yamahas are service heavy if you want to avoid problems.
The new evinrude E-Tec requires a heavy transom to support it's torque.
Then there's the Mercury four stroke.  Never had a problem with my 115.

All in all, your looking at 15-18k for a decent rigged, low hours, ready to fish boat.
I paid 15.5 for mine, put another 6 in it on electronics, troll motor, etc., to get it "just right".
Now I'll probably sell it in the next few months because I just don't use it that much..............................  

Link Posted: 7/27/2015 7:18:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep . Been there 4 times in my life . Now I just rent one if I want to go boating .
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Only buy a boat if it is your passion; rent if it isn’t.

<------ filled his boat halfway full of water this weekend and damn near sunk it. Wouldn’t have it any other way. Will be out again this weekend.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Another thing to consider is the cost to operate a boat. Not maint I mean using

it.. Maint is another huge cost

You need a truck that will pull it, gas for the truck and gas for the boat.

I often spent $250 on gas for the boat and truck for a one day fishing and pleasure outing.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 6:07:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I often spent $250 on gas for the boat and truck for a one day fishing and pleasure outing.
View Quote

op mentioned "keeping it dry docked at a marina" so money is no issue for him
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:43:48 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To replace the 25 I bought in 2003 for 2300 is now 4300.  Granted it's a step up from carbed to an etec but dang.

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The dry stacks are more expensive, but worth it if you actually use your boat, no need for a truck, (unless you already have or want one) call ahead and your boat is in the water at the dock, some places will even put in fuel for you, flush engine(s), wash your boat, arrange for repairs, and best of all, AVOID THE PUBLIC BOAT RAMP AND IT'S INHABITANTS
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 3:57:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Actually probably cheaper for me to keep it in the dry stacks. I don't own a truck and I don't have a yard to put the boat in. The marina will wash it off and store it. I call ahead and it's waiting for me when I get there, all for < $200/mo; if you consider the cost of a trailer and registration of the trailer, the value of your time, et cetera, having someone else handle storage is not all that bad.

I went and looked at a couple boats today. It looks like I can get something for this mission for about $10k.

I humor myself with something like this, but I'd think there's got to be something that would suck about buying it: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5116948227.html
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 6:50:17 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
And they say if it flies, floats or fucks that you're better off renting it. For the most part, owning an airplane has been good to me.

Also, I've got a feeling that there's an order of magnitude higher costs with aircraft ownership. A GPS is around $15,000-20,000 for a basic certified unit, an engine rebuild is $25,000 for a naturally aspirated 4-cylinder (new is over 50k, 100k+ for a six cylinder). I had an engine monitor installed a few months ago for $6,000.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You ready for ADS-B?
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:33:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I humor myself with something like this, but I'd think there's got to be something that would suck about buying it: http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa/5116948227.html
View Quote

All of those costs you're already aware of would likely double with a boat like that; wet storage, hull cleaning, shore power, fuel, holding tank pump-out, insurance, etc.  And if you want to fish that style isn't very good.  If all you're ever going to do is go for boat trips and marina hop then something like that is probably perfect though.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 7:59:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 8:29:34 AM EDT
[#27]
Get a sailboat!
A lot more boat for the money.

I had a 27' Cal.  Sailed her a bit.  Enjoyed fun in the sun.  Bow-buddies always in the way.
Faithfully worked on her every weekend and the occasional night after work.   Have about 30 dives cleaning her hull, changing props, dropping rudder - fix and reinstall.  Had a bitchy dock-master that insisted on re-tying my already properly secured boat.  Pelicans shit all over it --back to cleaning it.  Mast anchor light went out….wtf, it's 33' up.  Injector pump spewed diesel in bilge -- fix and repair --wtf  do you with super-fund  bilge water?  Roller-furler bound -- ginnie flapped like a  humming bird ripping it -- now I a seamstress.

Oh wait, disregard my post.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#28]
8-10 people? To entertain (deep sea drinkin'), cruise or fish you're gonna need a big deckboat or CC with a porta potti in the center or side console.

$10-$15K? Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 9:19:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Which Ghee do you have?
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:51:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey here is a pill that you can take to make your man hood grow 10 inches too
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I bought a boat. A 2005 Maxum 2400 SD with a mercruiser 5.0 MPI 260HP inboard/outboard. This isn't mine, but it looks identical.

Now I need to figure out where to keep it stored high and dry in Tampa Bay.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Wow that is beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:10:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Which Ghee do you have?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Which Ghee do you have?

15'4" highsider
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_8_10/586272_My_fishin_machine__in_progress.html
Link Posted: 8/9/2015 10:10:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought a boat. A 2005 Maxum 2400 SD with a mercruiser 5.0 MPI 260HP inboard/outboard. This isn't mine, but it looks identical.

http://sacsmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/120082_0_070320091758_0.jpg

View Quote

Nice! Enjoy it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

http://sacsmarine.com/wp-content/uploads/120082_0_070320091758_0.jpg

View Quote

I know a marina in ruskin with dry storage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 2:44:22 PM EDT
[#36]
Did you have a survey done?
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 9:44:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

No survey; I declined. I bought it from a reputable dealership, am somewhat familiar with boats and am very familiar with engines. Dealership serviced it with the list of maintenance items. First sea trial we got an alarm -- alternator decided to go full field; they replaced both batteries and the alternator. I ran the shit out of it during the second sea trial and it performed well. The boat is 10 years old with 260 hours on the tach and the condition struck me as appropriate for age and time -- the right amount of rash, very little rust, a couple seats could use redoing, et cetera.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#38]
Nice pleasure boat.
Don't take any rod and reels with you.
Once you get hooked on fishing, you'll soon figure out what you really need.........................  

Link Posted: 8/11/2015 7:14:33 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
No survey; I declined. I bought it from a reputable dealership, am somewhat familiar with boats and am very familiar with engines. Dealership serviced it with the list of maintenance items. First sea trial we got an alarm -- alternator decided to go full field; they replaced both batteries and the alternator. I ran the shit out of it during the second sea trial and it performed well. The boat is 10 years old with 260 hours on the tach and the condition struck me as appropriate for age and time -- the right amount of rash, very little rust, a couple seats could use redoing, et cetera.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Fresh water cooling? If not has it ever had the manifolds replaced?

Link Posted: 8/12/2015 3:09:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Manifolds are in decent shape. They did the water pump impeller, seals, et cetera when they took it in on trade. I have it insured through Progressive and have the additional coverage for outdrive failure.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 11:49:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Manifolds are in decent shape. They did the water pump impeller, seals, et cetera when they took it in on trade. I have it insured through Progressive and have the additional coverage for outdrive failure.
View Quote

Maybe on the outside. Be prepared to replace them soon. Salt water and raw water cooling are the debbil.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 6:50:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Maybe on the outside. Be prepared to replace them soon. Salt water and raw water cooling are the debbil.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I always thought...

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 9:18:59 PM EDT
[#43]
I took delivery last Thursday and ran the hell out of it to see if I could break anything. The marina measured it out at 26 feet, so it cost a little more to store. It's a tremendous amount of fun. It needs some upholstery work done on a couple seats. I could use some training with an expert when it comes to maneuvering in tight areas and how to handle the boat with the charts in Tampa Bay. I told the guys at the high and dry that I was a virgin and to not hesitate to tell me exactly what to do, which they did and it got me in and out without any trouble. During my trip, I started off sticking to the channels only, and then used the depth finder with the moving charts, pulling power to idle if I saw anything that made me uncomfortable.
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 7:56:14 AM EDT
[#44]
Nice family rig! Holds 10 peeps and a porta potty, looks like it checks all the boxes. Navigating? No biggie, get some Polaroids. If it looks shallow it probably is. Come off plane and trim the motor up some and putt. If it's real shallow put everyone up front and the keel will rub before the trimmed up lower unit will.

Do a day trip to Egmont Key. The water is like the Keys out there. Beautiful! You will need two good anchors, a big one with lots of line for keeping the bow pointed offshore and a smaller one to bury on the beach to keep the stern planted in 3-4' of water

Have fun!
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:40:55 AM EDT
[#45]
Congrats OP!  I started a thread almost exactly like this about 4 years ago and bought a boat almost exactly like yours.  Now I have a commercial captain's license, own a slightly larger boat, and just spent the summer in the Bahamas living on it.  Good on you for taking the step to enjoy one of the best things about living in Florida!

You're doing the right thing by asking a lot of questions, taking it easy and reading everything you can.  I didn't see it mentioned yet, but PLEASE take a boater's safety class, and get who may go out with you (if possible) to take it with you.  You may have a Power Squadron group near you.  If you really want to be hard core, you can take the Captain's class from somewhere like Sea School.  

Get an emergency satellite beacon (EPIRB or PRB) on top of the normal Coast Guard requirements.  Register your EPIRB/PRB with NOAA (USCG may not respond to distress signals from unregistered distress beacons).  It just takes a minute.  Consider getting your boat checked by the Coast Guard Auxiliary (it's free) to ID any safety gear missed or issues with your boat.  Even if you have a good onboard VHF radio - consider a handheld.  I lost my onboard radio while on big water and used my handheld for the next few weeks.  I would have been in big trouble without it.  West Marine puts their good one on sale for ~$60 every few months, so there's no excuse not to have it.   Of course, join SeaTow or Boat US.  Yes, it's a few hundred dollars, but my bet is that you'll get your money back in the next year or two

Good luck!  Update this thread if you can and let us know how the next few months go.  Drop me a line if you find yourself down near Sanibel for any reason.

Link Posted: 8/18/2015 5:08:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Subscribed for updates.

I'm in the same boat, so to speak  (pun intended)!

I'll be closing on a new home with a neighborhood marina, so I can stroll down to my future "new to me" boat. I hope to get something exactly like the op got. I do have some experience with boats and diving, etc. from being a mil diver. Maybe by Christmas I'll be living the "life".
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 9:19:35 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread on The Hull Truth (where you really need to be reading and asking questions) might be of interest.  It's about someone brand new to boating who's starting off in Tampa Bay.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#48]
Should have just built a fiberglass pool in the backyard and thrown money in it.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Should have just built a fiberglass pool in the backyard and thrown money in it.
View Quote

Now don't rain on the OP's parade .
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#50]
OP staying in the channel is a good idea for a while. but the issue is that you need to realize how the

channels run. the rule is red on right back to port but some of the channels run a different way than

you would think inside the bay and the markers are far apart and can confuse you.

Invest is a paper chart to study and learn your GPS inside and out. Egmont is fun, just watch out on the

north end as it can be shallow at lower tides. I used to swing out and then come in about 1/3 of the way

down from the north. Turn stern toward beach and drop bow anchor and then back up paying line on the

bow anchor until the stern is in about 3 feet of water. Have the stern anchor ready and have some one

jump out to anchor the stern quickly before the current moves the boat, with motor off of course.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top