Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/23/2015 7:52:32 PM EDT
Got a job offer from a SATCOM company that has an office in Jacksonville.

What should I know about the location IE housing cost, Local shooting spots, carry laws, general whats to do around the area?

I am 30 single and Live in Arizona so I am used to going out to the desert to shoot and a great night life
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:11:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Jacksonville has a lot of places to shoot. There's carbine competitions in north and central Florida as well a IDPA, IPSC, etc. Housing is cheap, I'd stay east of I95 and south of downtown. The beach area is the best IMO, good location if you want a social life, and only like ten it fifteen from downtown or Southside. Rest of Jacksonville Southside area is a mix of suburbia and college town. Rent is cheap, it's a good area, and has plenty of bars, shopping, etc. I believe there a regional office for the Department of Agriculture for your concealed weapons license. No open carry unless you're fishing or hunting or on your way to or from fishing or hunting. You can have a handgun in your car in your glove compartment or center console, it just has to be inside something with a lid or cover and not laying on the seat or sitting under your seat or next to your seat IE not "immediately accessible" and "securely encased". You can put it in a shoe box with the lid closed on the passenger seat if you wanted. You do not need any type of license to carry a gun in your car in this manner. Trunk gun is ok too, rifles, shotguns, etc.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 8:21:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I was born in Jax, FL. and have lived here for most of my life but I would stay in Arizona if I were you. After Louisiana got hit by the hurricane 1/3 of those a** hats moved to Jacksonville and crime has gone up 10 fold since then.

We just elected a new Mayor and Police chief so maybe they can fix this mess.

As far as ranges go, there's Gateway on the Westside that is an outdoor range with targets out to 100 yards, 200 yard range if you become a member. There's also an open range about 45 minutes to an hour away from Jax by Lake City.

If you want night life go to the beach at the end of Atlantic Blvd.
Link Posted: 7/23/2015 10:21:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Whats the average price for a 2000 sqft house
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 3:48:23 AM EDT
[#4]
That depends on the neighborhood and area of town really but on the low end roughly 140-150k on the High end in a more upscale neighborhood it could be 400-500k like in riverside or San Marco.
Jax is a great place to live if you're into shooting, it's the Mecca of the gun world as far as I can tell. We've got all the great companies based within 120 miles of Jax like Daniel defense, Knights armament, Core15, Blue Force gear, Spikes, joint force enterprises, boltcarrier.com and Rampart gun works and many others. There's always something shooting related going on in Jax, sometimes it's a carbine competition, sometimes it's gangbangers on the west side. There are some great ranges in St. aug about 30 min south of town and Gun Gallery will soon become your favorite gun shop I guarantee it.
It's hot as Hades in the summer, but can get fairly cold in the winter, the fishing is top fuckijg notch and back in my single days it wasn't too bad. Stick near the beaches or close to the UNF campus and you won't strike out.

If you like hog hunting I'm me, there are hogs everywhere in N. fL.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
If I were single I'd be living in Atlantic Beach, no questions asked.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#6]
i will be working on the base probably
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Sister is over in Neptune Beach and she loves it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2015 1:50:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i will be working on the base probably
View Quote

Which base? Jax NAS or Mayport?
Link Posted: 7/26/2015 2:14:14 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd be willing to bet NAS Jax.....there is some stuff in the works there right now that's gonna make the tin foil hat folks need new underwear pretty soon.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 12:30:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'd be willing to bet NAS Jax.....there is some stuff in the works there right now that's gonna make the tin foil hat folks need new underwear pretty soon.
View Quote

...do tell...
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 3:35:50 PM EDT
[#11]

Bear in mind literally everything has SATCOM capability nowadays, from man portable backpack able  VHF and UHF radios, you can stream video from soldiers on the ground back to TOC's and individual foot soldiers can stream near real time video from Air assets overhead giving them a better picture of the battle space and immediate area.
UAV/UAS systems are controlled via satcom some times as well as beam their feeds all over the world via satcom, and UAv's can act as a radio relay via the same technology for units on the ground. It's awfully handy when you have a dinky little low powered PRC-149 or IMBITR down in an Afghan valley or where ever you may find yourself.
It's all about information sharing and diceminatining it to all the players.
Link Posted: 7/27/2015 11:03:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
<a href="http://s716.photobucket.com/user/atacorion/media/image.jpg1_zpskeahhdof.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i716.photobucket.com/albums/ww166/atacorion/image.jpg1_zpskeahhdof.jpg</a>

Bear in mind literally everything has SATCOM capability nowadays, from man portable backpack able  VHF and UHF radios, you can stream video from soldiers on the ground back to TOC's and individual foot soldiers can stream near real time video from Air assets overhead giving them a better picture of the battle space and immediate area.
UAV/UAS systems are controlled via satcom some times as well as beam their feeds all over the world via satcom, and UAv's can act as a radio relay via the same technology for units on the ground. It's awfully handy when you have a dinky little low powered PRC-149 or IMBITR down in an Afghan valley or where ever you may find yourself.
It's all about information sharing and diceminatining it to all the players.
View Quote

Yup  Ive been working military satcom for 12 years now this is my first civilian job not sure which base it will be.
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 5:29:44 PM EDT
[#13]
It will be base-dependant. The commute would suck ass if you lived near one and worked at the other. If it is Mayport, here is your map

Link Posted: 7/28/2015 10:30:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/28/2015 11:56:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It will be base-dependant. The commute would suck ass if you lived near one and worked at the other. If it is Mayport, here is your map

<a href="http://s1301.photobucket.com/user/RINO_Hunter1/media/image003_zps9ztugzug.png.html" target="_blank">http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag110/RINO_Hunter1/image003_zps9ztugzug.png</a>
View Quote

Nailed it
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 12:56:50 AM EDT
[#16]

Link Posted: 7/29/2015 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#17]
new questions What are the ISP's like in Florida,  what is the legal tint amounts on your car?
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 7:53:03 PM EDT
[#18]

I need to start charging for these

Tint you can find the laws online. Few counties try to nail you for tint- everyone has it. I have a recommendation of a guy in Jax if needed.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 10:38:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Tint you can find the laws online. Few counties try to nail you for tint- everyone has it. I have a recommendation of a guy in Jax if needed.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Please share your guy.
Link Posted: 7/29/2015 11:38:27 PM EDT
[#20]
The maps are just so wrong,

But it is too funny to pass up.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 1:00:07 AM EDT
[#21]
I used to live off Beach and Kernan Blvd near the UNF campus, and commuted to NAS Jax everyday. It's an easy drive, nearly all highway and traffic congestion was alway opposite my route of travel. So I would recommend living there. It's close to the beach but only a 20-25 min commuter to NAS Jax, probably about the same to mayport.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 5:27:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Please share your guy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Please share your guy.

Sometimes the mods are weird about that, but I think I’m okay since I don’t have any affiliation or receive anything, etc. Guy’s name is Jeremy Love and his business is called Curbside Window Tinting. He's so well liked where I work that he comes out once or twice a year and does a bunch of cars. He's probably done over 100 for us so far.
Link Posted: 7/30/2015 11:12:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Been here a long time.  Your map is too funny [and quite accurate].  

Sorry for Shanghaiing your map.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:27:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well I found out i will be on NAS  so i migght need a revised map
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 3:37:24 PM EDT
[#25]
If you will be at NAS then you might want to look at Oakleaf or Fleming Island for an easy commute. Neither one of those have a great night life compared to the Beach though. There are two fairly new indoor ranges located near NAS Jax.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#26]
For the love of all that's holy do not I repeat do not live in Oak Leaf or Fleming island, you'll spend most of your time fighting traffic, trust me I was a squid on that base for years. You don't want to live with the folks you work with. I'd reside near Southside for some night life or the beaches, yes mileage wise it's a little further, but you'll never be fighting traffic to get to and from base as the surge is always from Orange park/clay county
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 6:06:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I used to live off Beach and Kernan Blvd near the UNF campus, and commuted to NAS Jax everyday. It's an easy drive, nearly all highway and traffic congestion was alway opposite my route of travel. So I would recommend living there. It's close to the beach but only a 20-25 min commuter to NAS Jax, probably about the same to mayport.
View Quote

It looks like you can’t go wrong with ATACORION’s advice, especially considering your desire for a night life- that is Jacksonville Beach for the most part. You aren’t too far either way, and it’ll allow you to learn the area.

I live at beach blvd and kernan blvd and the guys next door just moved out... It’s a great neighborhood. PM me if I can help.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top