Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/30/2015 2:48:21 PM EDT
I'll be at the Mother in Laws for 10 days starting this weekend. She lives in Melbourne Beach off A1A. Anyway, a buddy of mine up here in GA asked me to be on the lookout for lionfish meat for me to bring him back. I'm never at the seafood markets down there unless I was picking up gator meat or frog legs, and never noticed lionfish, but again I wasn't looking for it.

So I'm curious if you can buy the meat somewhere in the Palm Bay/Melbourne/Sebastian area.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 7:03:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You might be able to buy some at Safe Harbor Seafood in mayport on your way back up, or Fishermans Dock in Jax. Damned things are all over offshore Jax. I've heard they are good to eat, but I doubt there is a whole lot of commercial value in them bc they are little and not well known. Id personally rather have some hogfish or scamp grouper.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You might be able to buy some at Safe Harbor Seafood in mayport on your way back up, or Fishermans Dock in Jax. Damned things are all over offshore Jax. I've heard they are good to eat, but I doubt there is a whole lot of commercial value in them bc they are little and not well known. Id personally rather have some hogfish or scamp grouper.
View Quote

Lionfish are delicious. I would say as good as hogfish. I wouldn't compare it to a grouper because the fillets are too small.

I haven't ever seen it sold. But if you go to a dive boat when it's coming in I bet you could get some fillets.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 2:48:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Lionfish are delicious. I would say as good as hogfish. I wouldn't compare it to a grouper because the fillets are too small.

I haven't ever seen it sold. But if you go to a dive boat when it's coming in I bet you could get some fillets.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've heard they are, but they are so small they probably aren't worth the effort for the commercial spearos.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#5]
grills might tell you where you can buy some they serve it there
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'll be at the Mother in Laws for 10 days starting this weekend. She lives in Melbourne Beach off A1A. Anyway, a buddy of mine up here in GA asked me to be on the lookout for lionfish meat for me to bring him back. I'm never at the seafood markets down there unless I was picking up gator meat or frog legs, and never noticed lionfish, but again I wasn't looking for it.

So I'm curious if you can buy the meat somewhere in the Palm Bay/Melbourne/Sebastian area.
View Quote

Moons in Melbourne normally has it.

Google maps still has the old address listed but they are right on US1.

Moons Seafood
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top