Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/24/2015 7:05:48 PM EDT
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20150624/ARTICLE/150629854

http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20150624/ARTICLE/150629855/2416/TOPIC0403

Looks like the ROs were selling the brass off for personal gain.

Weatherholt and Nickell, aided by Demoss, have been selling the brass to a half-dozen metal recyclers throughout Florida and the southern Georgia city of Valdosta. They used to share a small portion of the proceeds with the range staff, but that practice ended years ago after a range staffer told a commission official what was happening.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:13:34 PM EDT
[#1]
How shitty
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#2]
you are mother fucking kidding me.

I shouldn't be surprised at all really. a good chuck of public employees are basically thieves.

sold it to metal recyclers those mother fuckers.

major cudos to Amendment II Armory for helping blow the whistle on these scumbags.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:20:59 PM EDT
[#3]
When you really think about it; that situation is rotten on so many different levels.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 9:52:14 PM EDT
[#4]
It all starts when the Gov't gets involved....
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:29:01 PM EDT
[#5]
So is there a phone number for this.
After leaving tens of thousands of spent casings on the ground ...thinking it was going to help junior hunters and shooters.
I WANT MY BRASS BACK.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 1:55:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So is there a phone number for this.
After leaving tens of thousands of spent casings on the ground ...thinking it was going to help junior hunters and shooters.
I WANT MY BRASS BACK.
View Quote

Me too. I've been going there for 20 years.
Link Posted: 6/28/2015 2:15:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Most of the RSO's there are good dudes. I'm not sure how it is at the other lines, but they've never required me to leave my brass at the 200yd range. Once you've decided to leave it, it should be forgotten. If you're a reloader, you police your brass anyway.

Link Posted: 6/28/2015 5:17:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been saying it for years.  I guess I was right.

Motherfuckers.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 6:12:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not surprised.  Last time I was there (it's been a while) one of the RSO's would sweep up the lines into a bucket, which he then took down to his truck and dumped into a tub in his truck bed.  I wouldn't have even noticed except that he swept the line more than once while I was there which seemed strange.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 7:55:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Fuck them I'll shoot steel from now on when I'm there
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Corruption in the FFWC? Who would have thought!   I HATE those bastards!  Biologists are ok but the LE side is full of liars and thieves.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:37:26 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Webb was much more interesting before the arrival of range officers...
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 8:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I'm not surprised.  Last time I was there (it's been a while) one of the RSO's would sweep up the lines into a bucket, which he then took down to his truck and dumped into a tub in his truck bed.  I wouldn't have even noticed except that he swept the line more than once while I was there which seemed strange.
View Quote

He didn't want to miss a single piece of brass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Lol that's an understatement.

Link Posted: 6/29/2015 9:43:29 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I still don't know how someone didn't get killed each weekend.  Too many times we'd have a cold range then as your walking back you see people loading and messing with their guns.  It was also less crowded then...can't imagine that place the last several years with all the n00bs showing up.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:22:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:52:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Most of the RSO's there are good dudes. I'm not sure how it is at the other lines, but they've never required me to leave my brass at the 200yd range. Once you've decided to leave it, it should be forgotten. If you're a reloader, you police your brass anyway.

View Quote

No one can legally require you to leave your brass, it's your property until you abandon it.

A private range can attempt to enforce such a rule ("once it hits the floor, it's ours") but if you don't agree with it, their only recourse is to tell you to leave (after you collect all your property) and then tell you not to come back.

A public range attempting to do so would open itself up to a 5th amendment case:
"[No person shall] be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 4:34:32 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I still don't know how someone didn't get killed each weekend.  Too many times we'd have a cold range then as your walking back you see people loading and messing with their guns.  It was also less crowded then...can't imagine that place the last several years with all the n00bs showing up.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

dude back in the  day in the summer my freinds and i had the run of that range on any given weekday. now you couldn't pay me to shoot there.
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
dude back in the  day in the summer my freinds and i had the run of that range on any given weekday. now you couldn't pay me to shoot there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's actually not terrible safety wise now. The range officers are normally pretty serious about safety now. There was a time years ago where someone shot a round down range while people were on the path walking out to their targets.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

"Back in the day".....like, when you had hair?

sorry.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:13:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

sorry.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry.

yeah you remember those days...you know back when for you an erection didn't involve careful planning and pharmaceuticals.

Link Posted: 7/1/2015 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#22]
ouch
Link Posted: 7/1/2015 10:19:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

No one can legally require you to leave your brass, it's your property until you abandon it.

A private range can attempt to enforce such a rule ("once it hits the floor, it's ours") but if you don't agree with it, their only recourse is to tell you to leave (after you collect all your property) and then tell you not to come back.

A public range attempting to do so would open itself up to a 5th amendment case:
"[No person shall] be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly. If it was left, you knew it was going to be collected and sold. Whether or not funds went to the appropriate groups is an entirely different story. You know, kind of like where our tax money goes.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Scumbags.

I buy reloading components (powder mainly) from the guys that helped in the bust, good guys!
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Scumbags.

I buy reloading components (powder mainly) from the guys that helped in the bust, good guys!
View Quote

oh really?? they sell powder?
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:18:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scumbags.

Manatee gun club sells powder and bullets, not cheap, but still less than paying the haz-mat shipping fee.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 12:09:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly. If it was left, you knew it was going to be collected and sold. Whether or not funds went to the appropriate groups is an entirely different story. You know, kind of like where our tax money goes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

One may make the argument, that the cases were donated vs.abandoned based on the signage at the range. Thus it could be argued that the state is complicit in fraud by permitting their employees to post such signage, collection and sale of the donated spent cases to the benefit of some other entity.
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 11:40:43 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

yeah you remember those days...you know back when for you an erection didn't involve careful planning and pharmaceuticals.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

sorry.

LOL!   Winner!  
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:03:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Scumbags.

Yes
Link Posted: 7/3/2015 5:48:57 PM EDT
[#30]
There are good RSO there, it's a shame that this kind of thing goes on.
I'm sure that not all the RSO's were involved or I would like to think so
I wondered if they pilfered or skimmed the cash collection box too.
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 11:47:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
There are good RSO there, it's a shame that this kind of thing goes on.
I'm sure that not all the RSO's were involved or I would like to think so
I wondered if they pilfered or skimmed the cash collection box too.
View Quote

Yeah really...I wouldn't be surprised if there haven't been any visitors to that park in years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top