Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/29/2015 9:15:04 AM EDT
What does this guy need to know about Tampa? Anything in particular to see, do, avoid, or experience?

My CCW is reciprocal and my wife and dogs are coming out with me.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:55:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Where you is?

What area are you in?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I will be working with a company just east of USF.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:51:46 AM EDT
[#3]
My favorite restaurant in Tampa is the original Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City.  Take the wife for a nice dinner (get the 1905 salad) then do a little bar hopping in Ybor; just avoid the hip hop bars on the other side of the street.

Shooter's World is a big gun store in west Tampa.  They have a small museum area with some cool stuff.  Definitely worth a visit.

International Mall in Tampa (by the airport) has a cool restaurant/bar area and high end stores.  Brandon (east of Tampa) is a big suburbia shopping area.

Lot's to do in the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area depending on what you like:  beach, fishing, golf, etc.

Orlando is a short drive from Tampa also, if you wanted to hit up some of the attractions.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 11:39:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My favorite restaurant in Tampa is the original Columbia Restaurant in Ybor City.  Take the wife for a nice dinner (get the 1905 salad) then do a little bar hopping in Ybor; just avoid the hip hop bars on the other side of the street.

Shooter's World is a big gun store in west Tampa.  They have a small museum area with some cool stuff.  Definitely worth a visit.

International Mall in Tampa (by the airport) has a cool restaurant/bar area and high end stores.  Brandon (east of Tampa) is a big suburbia shopping area.

Lot's to do in the Tampa/Clearwater/St Pete area depending on what you like:  beach, fishing, golf, etc.

Orlando is a short drive from Tampa also, if you wanted to hit up some of the attractions.
View Quote

We like all of those things, and drinking. Lots of drinking.

Thanks a lot! Anything else? How's Busch Gardens, worth visiting?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:10:27 PM EDT
[#5]
The USF area is pretty sketchy. Look for a hotel east of the area off I-75 NOT off I-275. Shooters World is a must see. It's a half block east of I-275 on Fletcher Ave about 1.5 miles east of USF. Day trips? Busch Gardens is right around the corner from you. Check out Fort DeSoto and hit Billy's Blue crab for the early bird special for dinner on the way home(a mile or so north of the park). An hour and a half south is AnaMaria and Holmes beach. Have lunch on one of the pier restaurants the head north up the beach and check out Lido and StArmands. Hit Pass a Grill beach early and work your way north along the beaches to Clearwater. Hit Keegan's or Guppies on Indian Rocks Beach for lunch or dinner. Local there's Lowry Park zoo, The Florida Aquiarium, River Walk and Ybor city. Fine dining? Berns, Charlie's on Cypress Ave and the Columbia are our favorites.

Demographics, Pretty much everything east of I-275 to 50th St and from downtown to Bearass Ave is sketchy. Most of the $$$ and safer/nicer areas are north of Fletcher and south of downtown.

Enjoy!

Edit; GO BOLTS!
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 12:24:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The USF area is pretty sketchy. Look for a hotel east of the area off I-75 NOT off I-275. Shooters World is a must see. It's a half block east of I-275 on Fletcher Ave about 1.5 miles east of USF. Day trips? Busch Gardens is right around the corner from you. Check out Fort DeSoto and hit Billy's Blue crab for the early bird special for dinner on the way home(a mile or so north of the park). An hour and a half south is AnaMaria and Holmes beach. Have lunch on one of the pier restaurants the head north up the beach and check out Lido and StArmands. Hit Pass a Grill beach early and work your way north along the beaches to Clearwater. Hit Keegan's or Guppies on Indian Rocks Beach for lunch or dinner. Local there's Lowry Park zoo, The Florida Aquiarium, River Walk and Ybor city. Fine dining? Berns, Charlie's on Cypress Ave and the Columbia are our favorites.

Demographics, Pretty much everything east of I-275 to 50th St and from downtown to Bearass Ave is sketchy. Most of the $$$ and safer/nicer areas are north of Fletcher and south of downtown.

Enjoy!

Edit; GO BOLTS!
View Quote

Thanks for the heads up.  Due to the extent of our stay, we're looking at renting a condo in a gated vacation community by the month.  I believe it's right off the coast, if not on the coast, but we've got a few we're looking at; definitely won't be at any hotel.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#7]
If you shoot Highpower XTC I can help you out
Are you driving the PU?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you shoot Highpower XTC I can help you out
Are you driving the PU?
View Quote

I don't, not sure if I am going to bring anything but my CCW piece yet. Not sure if we're going to drive the truck or if we're going to get something else. I've got another couple weeks to figure that out.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 3:20:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Potentially retarded question, but I honestly do not know.

My wife is really worried about the dogs being eaten by alligators.  It appears it's illegal to kill them, but what if it's in defense of life/limb/livestock? Does that qualify as justifiable?

What round for gator?
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:07:55 PM EDT
[#10]
I see you like to drink , Just a quick CCW tip in Florida, you can carry at a restaurant but not sit at the bar. You can not carry in a bar that does not serve food. I'm not sure if its the same in UT or not.  

I don't live in Tampa (Sarasota) but my Aunt lives near USF. Some areas around USF are nice like Temple Terrace, other parts west of 56st (USF area) is kinda shitty.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:45:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be more worried about animals on two legs than gators.  Not saying it couldnt happen that the dogs could interact with one but probably just as likely for you to be hit by lightning unless you are making an effort to visit some water area heavy with gators.

ETA looks like you just missed the tag deadline

NEW! The deadline to submit payment for an alligator harvest permit awarded in Phase I has passed.
The Phase II application period for 2015 Statewide Alligator Harvest
Program permits will begin on May 18 at 10:00 a.m. Select "Statewide
Alligator" on the online licensing website to view the permits available in this phase. The application period will be open through May 28.

Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:49:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I see you like to drink , Just a quick CCW tip in Florida, you can carry at a restaurant but not sit at the bar. You can not carry in a bar that does not serve food. I'm not sure if its the same in UT or not.  

I don't live in Tampa (Sarasota) but my Aunt lives near USF. Some areas around USF are nice like Temple Terrace, other parts west of 56st (USF area) is kinda shitty.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Good to know, I was gonna look it up but you saved me the time, thanks!

Quoted:
I would be more worried about animals on two legs than gators.  Not saying it couldnt happen that the dogs could interact with one but probably just as likely for you to be hit by lightning unless you are making an effort to visit some water area heavy with gators.  

Well, the condo we're looking at renting is water front. Is that not a concern?  Trust me, if I can tell the wife that her dumbass Golden won't get eaten, that'll be a great weight off her shoulders

And yeah like I said we've both got our CHLs that are valid in FL.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:20:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Trll her it is Hurricane season............She will forget about gators..............
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:30:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Fresh or salt waterfront? Salt means no gator problems. Lake front complexes/condos are rarely an issue. When the gators get eating size they usually get dissapeared by the locals. Larger and aggressive gators are removed by state licensed trappers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:33:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Great advice guys. I am really excited to come visit (well, work...) here for a while. Sounds like there's A LOT to do in comparison to boring ol' Utah.

Quoted:
Trll her it is Hurricane season............She will forget about gators..............
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am sure that'll work

Quoted:
Fresh or salt waterfront? Salt means no gator problems. Lake front complexes/condos are rarely an issue. When the gators get eating size they usually get dissapeared by the locals. Larger and aggressive gators are removed by state licensed trappers.

Pretty sure it's salt water?

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 2:44:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Great advice guys. I am really excited to come visit (well, work...) here for a while. Sounds like there's A LOT to do in comparison to boring ol' Utah.

I am sure that'll work

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I am sure that'll work

Quoted:

No worries about gators then.

Tampa has some pretty fine gentlemen's establishments if you are into that sort of thing. The Doll House, 2001 Odyssey, Mons Venus.

Side Bern's is a good restaurant, pretty spendy but worth it.

Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:19:11 PM EDT
[#17]
Skipper's Smokehouse is a good hangout if your into live music under the oaks.  Florida Aquarium is a good visit and while there you could check out the American Victory Ship and mariner's museum and do some shopping in the Channelside District.
Ybor City is a couple minutes by cab for cigars and craft brewery's.  
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:32:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Tons of breweries in the area too.  Yelp will be your friend in finding them all.  There is also the Brewbus.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 6:23:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:51:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Skipper's Smokehouse is a good hangout if your into live music under the oaks.  Florida Aquarium is a good visit and while there you could check out the American Victory Ship and mariner's museum and do some shopping in the Channelside District. Ybor City is a couple minutes by cab for cigars and craft brewery's.  
View Quote

A few dozen oysters on the halfshell, washed down with adult beverages, and Uncle Johns Band at Skippers on a Thursday night is a really good time.........
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 8:10:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Sarasota for beaches and artsy fartsy stuff (Siesta Key, St Armands, Ringling museum etc.)
Kayaking! (Weedon Island is my favorite place)
Fishing, any and all types
Tampa and St. Pete both have some very enjoyable downtowns.
Hmm... This area is a big vacation hot spot. Anything you would want to do on vacation is available here so just get out and find something you like.
For details just ask here, somebody will have an answer.

ETA;
Ybor city for adult type fun
Do not let your dog roam unattended near the water. This includes even city parks and other seemingly safe areas. (Had a 10 footer right behind my house in Largo living in the lake at Taylor park)
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Finally made it out. Lost a fuel pump going through Vail, CO... and our rental had the power disconnected, but I'm here, and it's gorgeous, and the dogs (and wife) are happy to be out of the car.

Also, Tampa looks kinda sketch, you guys
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 12:48:01 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Finally made it out. Lost a fuel pump going through Vail, CO... and our rental had the power disconnected, but I'm here, and it's gorgeous, and the dogs (and wife) are happy to be out of the car.

View Quote

Just stay W of 275 or S of Kennedy.......every town has a "wrong side of the tracks".....
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 5:31:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Where you is?
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 8:30:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Is Mons Venus still open?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 8:12:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Where you is?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where you is?

Brandon area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top