Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/29/2015 7:15:18 AM EDT
<--------------- Native Floridian, been away for a quarter century

We are looking at Volusia County. Ormond Beach possibly.

Any issues with owning guns in general, holding a C&R FFL or NFA issues that I should be aware of?

Otherwise, how is Volusia County as a place to live/shoot/fish?

Thank you for any comment.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:23:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Great place. My parents live in Ormond. No issues with ownership or CCW. Not sure how the CLEO feels about NFA so I'll let someone else comment. Nice range nearby and VCGHC is right around the corner. Come on home...
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 10:13:08 AM EDT
[#2]
Welcome back.

The state legislature has pre emptied all local firearms law statewide with the exception of county statutes on waiting periods for those without Concealed Firearms and Weapons Permits as they are written into the state constitution.

Unlike with the original preemption law from the early 1990s, the latest one provides strict penalties against localities as well as elected officials themselves that might try to weasel around it so it's been effective.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 1:18:38 PM EDT
[#3]
VCGHC is, from what I hear, basically the only worthwhile range around.  I lived in Daytona for 5 years and still have property there, but I never had a chance to check it out.  My excursions were always to Strickland range, which is a county-operated 100 yard range that has strict 1 shot per second rules, etc.  It's a nice facility if that's what you're in to, and it's an ok alternative if you need to sight a rifle in, but it sucks for doing any real shooting.

Other than that, I can't think of many other ranges, other than a few small indoor ones.  Maybe they've build more stuff though.  There are nice ranges north, like ATTAC in St. Augustine.

Florida, as far as firearms are concerned, is one of the best states in the nation.  I'm not sure about CLEO signoffs in Volusia, but I had a trust and had no issues any time with my toys.  So no worries about that stuff and a CCP is simple to get down here.  

Florida Gun Exchange is a fairly large shop in North Daytona/Holly Hill that has a nice selection of stuff.  It'll probably end up being your go-to shop.  I and a few others refuse to shop there on principle because of some of the games they played during the panic, but to their credit it is a nice facility, it has a great selection, and their prices seem to be competitive.

And Ormond is great btw.  You'll love it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:14:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Any issues with owning guns in general, holding a C&R FFL or NFA issues that I should be aware of?

View Quote

http://flaglergunclub.com/
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 4:23:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to shoot at the Strickland Range in the 1980s. I think it has been relocated from the original location but even back then it wasn't exactly the most friendly place. I also used to shoot at a self-regulated range within the Ocala National Forest. Now that was an extreme in the other direction, rule wise.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Daytona is still a crime ridden shit hole and that is spreading to the rest of the area.

New Stricklands is no fun.  They have managed to suck all the fun out of shooting there.

There are a ton of new gun shops in the Daytona area though.  Almost a dozen have opened in the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to shoot at the Strickland Range in the 1980s. I think it has been relocated from the original location but even back then it wasn't exactly the most friendly place. I also used to shoot at a self-regulated range within the Ocala National Forest. Now that was an extreme in the other direction, rule wise.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It's still there as far as I know and it's still sketchy as ever.  I shot there once and never went back.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  Someone could easily shoot you and leave you for dead...the day I went there was virtually no one there and no one around.  Screw that.

Quoted:
Daytona is still a crime ridden shit hole and that is spreading to the rest of the area.

New Stricklands is no fun.  They have managed to suck all the fun out of shooting there.

There are a ton of new gun shops in the Daytona area though.  Almost a dozen have opened in the last 5 years.

Yeah there's a new place where the hobby shop used to be on Ridgewood/US 1, a little south of Beville.  Went in there once to just scope it out when I was driving through.  Had some nice stuff on the walls and the people were friendly.  Didn't look at the prices though.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 9:12:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Cow Creek Hunt/Gun Club in Edgewater.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:22:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The ocala range is off sr40 and bout 2-3 miles on fr88. Its a decent "public "range. But since there is no RO its a "communicate " loud and together when range is hot /cold. Its not the wild west but it can get hairy...well because its UN regulated ...I open carry...don't leave your guns alone and just keep your head on a swivel when down ranges. It can get pretty packed so go way early or week days.
Bring.g your own targets and stands.....
Last two trips I've been there it was calm...busy...but calm...and everyone communicated well..
Just expect the crowd to be a wide variety like a gun show. But free.

I don't consider it "way out there " its roughly 40 miles from sr40 and I95 at ormond beach. Driving sr40 is more dangerous than the range.!! I drive it each day.
It does sit in the center of the ONF so if you can't handle piss poor cell service or being isolated prolly not your place. Honestly ...id love to have it to myself once.... but I've been hanging out in the ONF since I was 12 so I'm used to seeing crazy out there. LOL
Daytona is a shit hole....reason I moved west. No fsa here.no crowds...and no loud ghetto goblins.
Strickland range is out behind the jail in tiger bay...never been..prolly never will...used to go to the old one a shit ton.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 9:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I shoot at Strickland's all the time. I just make sure to get there when they open at 9am and I never have any issues with the weirdos that seem to come out later in the day.

Link Posted: 6/19/2015 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#11]
West Volusia checking in...

All is good!

VCGHC is good, on the expensive side, but up to 300m rifle range. Layout is a bit hairy, can constantly hear ricochets whizzing by overhead depending the bay you are at.
Link Posted: 6/19/2015 5:25:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

do you like recreational pharmaceuticals? because if you do Volusia co is it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2015 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Volusia County Gun Club is expensive as a member, but in the recent past they have Wednesday's as Open Range day and non-members can shoot for a nominal fee.

wp
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:38:17 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is it worse than the rest of FL? I live in Ormond Beach and it doesn't seem as drug Central as you put it.... (Steve or Stephen is it?)
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 6:19:06 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Is it worse than the rest of FL? I live in Ormond Beach and it doesn't seem as drug Central as you put it.... (Steve or Stephen is it?)
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Stef-fawn is how he likes it pronounced :p lol

Depends on parts of volusia....but out west near me its pot /pills and Meth. Dirtona is pills /pot...holy hell pill box.....ormond is booze and pills
Exgewater /nsd pot...some Meth down in oakhill....
Kinda the same every where....
But id say pills is a pretty common deal vs heavier drugs. I knew a Guy who knew a Guy...etc...and even low grade stuff was 20-40$ a pill....that was 5 years ago. I was shocked it was that much...I figured 1-5$... LOL

Only reason I had the conversation was I said I had tossed some old meds that expired ...and was curious and new he knew a Guy who knew a Guy...

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:21:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

it's everywhere, like any other county.  the problem areas are the obvious ones, daytona, deltona, edge water, etc...  

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:27:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I own a house in Ormond Beach and have lived there for the better part of 25 years. Ormond is nice and quiet for the most part. It really depends on where in Ormond you are looking to live. Certain parts of Ormond are not the best, but that is small pockets. Daytona is eh, so-so....

Florida Gun Exchange is good to deal with, they have become more expensive lately. Buck's in Daytona I am not too fond of.

Strickland's not bad to shoot at. There is a lot of rules, but then again there a lot of yahoo's that go there. I am actually happy when they jump on someones ass for sweeping the people on the sides of them with the muzzles of their weapons. Some of the worst for this are the LEO's that sometimes go there. They always act like they know everything.

I hear the Sheriff of Volusia (Ben Johnson) will not sign off of various items. Maybe that has changed. Property taxes are crazy. Florida may not have a state income tax, but they make up for it on property taxes. Volusia county is really bad about some taxes, especially gas tax. They are one of the counties that charge the max in the state (and the roads still suck). I actually worked for Volusia county at one point. Lasted only 9 months and I had to get the hell out of there. Total confirmation that government are mostly slugs.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:08:15 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
I own a house in Ormond Beach and have lived there for the better part of 25 years. Ormond is nice and quiet for the most part. It really depends on where in Ormond you are looking to live. Certain parts of Ormond are not the best, but that is small pockets. Daytona is eh, so-so....

Florida Gun Exchange is good to deal with, they have become more expensive lately. Buck's in Daytona I am not too fond of.

Strickland's not bad to shoot at. There is a lot of rules, but then again there a lot of yahoo's that go there. I am actually happy when they jump on someones ass for sweeping the people on the sides of them with the muzzles of their weapons. Some of the worst for this are the LEO's that sometimes go there. They always act like they know everything.

I hear the Sheriff of Volusia (Ben Johnson) will not sign off of various items. Maybe that has changed. Property taxes are crazy. Florida may not have a state income tax, but they make up for it on property taxes. Volusia county is really bad about some taxes, especially gas tax. They are one of the counties that charge the max in the state (and the roads still suck). I actually worked for Volusia county at one point. Lasted only 9 months and I had to get the hell out of there. Total confirmation that government are mostly slugs.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Buddy of mine is on OPD. Since the mid 90s...

Ormond has only really a three block bad area. Most of that is bleed through from holly hell...and in that older section west of Us1...

Family lives on the north end by the airport.

Sides that honestly stay away from daytona its a shit hole...holly hill..aint far behind.

Especially that lpga to mason to ridgewood area.
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 6:50:18 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Buddy of mine is on OPD. Since the mid 90s...   Ormond has only really a three block bad area. Most of that is bleed through from holly hell...and in that older section west of Us1...

Sides that honestly stay away from daytona its a shit hole...holly hill..aint far behind.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Buddy of mine is on OPD. Since the mid 90s...   Ormond has only really a three block bad area. Most of that is bleed through from holly hell...and in that older section west of Us1...

Ahhh yes, then there is Holy Hell.... Some parts are not bad, but most I could do without. Worked there for a while and the company was lousy. They claimed to be a premier employer. My response was always, "Yup, the premier employer in Holly Hill. That says a lot.".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top