Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/28/2015 6:45:27 AM EDT
Hialeah, Davie police investigate deaths of 2 K-9s at officer's home

HIALEAH, Fla. -
Authorities are investigating the deaths of two K-9 work dogs with the Hialeah Police Department.

The dogs died Wednesday at the Davie home of an off-duty Hialeah K-9 officer, Hialeah police said.

Hileah detectives and Davie police arrived at the home of Hialeah K-9 officer Nelson Enriquez regarding the death of his two assigned K-9 work dogs, "Jimmy," a 7-year-old bloodhound, and "Hector," a 4-year-old Belgium Malinois.

Hialeah police said it appears Enriquez left the K-9s in his marked police vehicle parked in the driveway of his Davie house Wednesday morning as he returned home after completing his midnight shift.

Enriquez discovered the dead K-9s Wednesday evening and notified police, according to the Hialeah Police Department.

The Davie Police Department is leading the investigation, authorities said. Hialeah police are also conducting a complete and concurrent internal investigation.

Enriquez is a 13-year veteran of Hialeah and has been a K-9 handler the past seven years, Hialeah police said. Enriquez was relieved of duty pending the outcome of the investigation.

"The Hialeah Police Department is extremely saddened by this unfortunate occurrence and every effort will be made to determine the cause of this terrible tragedy, which claimed the lives of two very beloved members of our Hialeah police family," said Carl Zogby, of Hialeah Police Department. "This is still an open and active investigation and we must wait for the outcome from the Davie police and the Broward State Attorney’s Office."

Follow Local 10 News on Twitter @WPLGLocal10

View Quote

http://www.local10.com/news/hialeah-police-investigate-death-2-k9-dogs-officers-home/33255610
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#1]
If he is found to have just left those dogs like that, he should be fired, charged, and ordered to pay for the entire mess.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If he is found to have just left those dogs like that, he should be fired, charged, and ordered to pay for the entire mess.
View Quote

Couldn't agree with you more.
What are the chances of that happening in Hialeah of all places.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:44:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Is it bad that my first thought was "Oh, he'll be reprimanded with a paid administrative leave"?  If investigated and found responsible, he should be fired and prosecuted like anyone else.  Anyone know if Hialeah or Davie treat dogs as "sworn officers" if they're the harmed in the course of their duties?
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Hialeah.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:32:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Hialeah.
View Quote

I would forget my wife before I forgot my dogs.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 12:59:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Hialeah.

lol
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:24:36 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

View Quote
+1

poor dogs
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 8:33:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Shitty situation.
Link Posted: 5/28/2015 11:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Enriquez, a 13-year veteran who has spent the past seven years on K9 patrol, has been suspended with pay. While Davie police investigate, Hialeah police are running a parallel investigation into Enriquez’s actions through internal affairs.
View Quote

http://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/miami-dade/hialeah/article22496112.html

ETA More details in the above Miami Herald report. Officer arrived home mid-morning after ending work at ~7:30am; reported dogs at 6:50pm; family (wife, 2 children) not home.
Link Posted: 5/29/2015 8:47:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hialeah.

This occurred in Davie.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 8:20:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

This occurred in Davie.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Hialeah.

This occurred in Davie.

And? The officer works for Highaleah PD. The dogs were property of his employer, Highaleah PD.
They should be imposing administrative punishment for his misfeasance/malfeasanc in conjunction with the criminal charges Davie police should impose on him.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 12:20:44 PM EDT
[#12]
reminds me of the Columbia County Public Defender, that left the kid in the car recently.  Same sort of sorry, lazy, stupid behavior.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top