Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2015 6:00:30 PM EDT
I am coming to Florida at the end of the month in order to see my son graduate high school. Before I visit, I have a few questions.

First, where in Land O Lakes or between the there and the Tampa airport can I find an excellent Cubano sandwich?

Second, I'm going to have an entire day to spend doing nothing but hanging out with my son, to include visiting the beach. Are there any good gun shops I should see? Same goes for airsoft, as he's into that stuff.

Third, I know my out-of-State carry permit is valid and that I can't carry at his graduation. But, are there any peculiar laws regarding carry I of which I should be aware before visiting? I won't likely be drinking, so that's not an issue. I mean things like Texas' famed 30-06 sign (are specific signs required to ban carry? do signs carry force of law, or can they be ignored?).

Fourth, here in TN, I can and do carry an automatic knife. Can I carry one if FL? It's a Kershaw 7200 launch 2, with a 3.25" blade. Would I be better off leaving it at home and carrying my Kershaw Blur, instead?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help. I look forward to visiting the Gunshine State. (Hopefully, I won't be the victim of any bath-salts-induced attacks.)
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:58:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure u will head north on the veterans expressway to Land o lakes. This place has a excellent Cuban sandwich called the "Tampa Cuban"

Its just off the Vet expressway.

The pork sandwich on Cuban bread is also excellent.

Mojo Pork
cuban style mojo-marinated roast pork and provolone cheese on toasted cuban bread with garlic herb mayo and mojo juice for dipping.

View Quote

http://www.louispappas.com/

Citrus Park, 7877 Gunn Hwy, Tampa, FL 33626
(813) 926-5202    
View Quote

Best range in the Tampa bay area.

http://www.shootersworld.com/

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Man, both that restaurant and that gun shop look great. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:37:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Brocatos is the place for a cuban and deviled crab.  http://brocatossandwich.com/
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Brocatos is the place for a cuban and deviled crab.  http://brocatossandwich.com/
View Quote

It's out of your way, but it is pretty much the best around.

The Kershaw 7200 will be fine, but don't take it to the graduation, leave it in the car (closed glove-box, closed console, closed gun case of some kind, etc.) with the gun. (Put it in checked luggage with the gun too, but you already know that.)

Stay out of standalone bars and you'll be OK. But you can drink and carry here.

No duty to inform LEO about the gun, even when specifically asked. But you will need to show your permit if a LEO asks for it during a detention. It's best not to volunteer anything. Most of the cops in the area are cool, but there's always a few bad apples.

'No Firearms' signs carry no weight of law and can lawfully be ignored.

Link Posted: 5/5/2015 10:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hit up Capital Tacos in LoL. It's not Cuban, but if you like Tex-Mex you'll be glad you went.

Best Cuban in Tampa (IMO) is El Gallo De Oro, aka The Golden Cock. Get the Puerco Asado.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 7:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hit up Capital Tacos in LoL. It's not Cuban, but if you like Tex-Mex you'll be glad you went.

Best Cuban in Tampa (IMO) is El Gallo De Oro, aka The Golden Cock. Get the Puerco Asado.
View Quote

Can't believe I forgot about Capital Tacos.  That place is amazing.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 3:47:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, so it's looking like Capital Tacos for dinner Wednesday, Shooter's World followed by Puerco Asada at El Gallo De Oro for dinner on Thursday (with the possibility of a Cuban sandwich somewhere else for lunch).

I may have to book a second seat on the flight home for my gut, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 4:59:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Currently open to our valued members as well as the general public, Shooters World provides the most comfortable rifle shooting range experience! Offering seven one-hundred yard lanes, Shooters World is home to Florida's unrivaled indoor rifle range.

100 yd lanes. Damn.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:36:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ok, so it's looking like Capital Tacos for dinner Wednesday, Shooter's World followed by Puerco Asada at El Gallo De Oro for dinner on Thursday (with the possibility of a Cuban sandwich somewhere else for lunch).

I may have to book a second seat on the flight home for my gut, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
View Quote

El Gallo closes at 4:30. You don't want to be in that area near sundown.
Link Posted: 5/6/2015 6:50:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Then I guess it's lunch there, and luckily my Glock 19 is like an American Express card: I don't leave home without it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:20:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Wrights deli on s. dale mabry. Good Cuban and great Ruben. Lunch time is crazy.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:58:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Guys, thanks for the recommendations. I had an excellent trip. Not only did I get to see my son graduate high school, I was able to get him his first job (at Larry's Deli in Land O Lakes, where they make a pretty damn good Cuban), and I was able to catch up with one of my former battery commanders from my time at Ft. Campbell-who I hadn't seen since 99. He's at McDill AFB and we met for lunch on Thursday at Kojak's fro BBQ, where some anonymous person picked up the tab for the three of us-you Floridians might be ok, after all.

Shooter's World is NICE! Damn, they have a great selection. And the museum-quality displays of historic military weapons is impressive. I didn't have the time to try the range this visit, but maybe next time.

We ate at Capital Tacos for lunch on Friday, and they lived up the recommendations. We actually tried to eat there Thursday evening, but they had, fortuitously, just lost electricity. Since they were without power and couldn't serve us, they gave us a coupon for a free taco, which was very generous of them. So, based on the recommendation of my ex-wife's boyfriend's daughter, we went looking for Larry's Deli. At first glance, we thought it was boarded up because of the building next door, which bears the name. Being adventurous, we ventured inside. As we were ordering, I made a crack about my son needing a job, so that he could buy me dinner, and asked if they needed any help. The girl behind the counter emphatically said yes, asked him his age (18), gave him an application, and told him to come in Friday to see the manager. He went in Friday for an interview and starts Tuesday. Anyway, back to Capital Tacos. Their burritos are HUGE! My son had the carnitas burrito and couldn't even finish it. I had an Austinite taco and a carnitas taco, both of which were yummy. I considered going back for a third, but decided I'd never leave if I gave into my desire-much like a drug addict who can't seem to satisfy their cravings.

He took me to Howard Park on Thursday, so that I could at least put my feet in the ocean. Living in a land-locked State for the last 18 years, I haven't been to the beach but a few times, and, having lived within 200 yards of the beach for part of my childhood, I miss it. Howard Park was nice. It wasn't the least bit crowded and the water was both warm and clear.

Seriously, guys, while I didn't get to try all of your recommendations, the ones I did try were excellent and I look forward to trying the others when I visit him again. Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]

Can't say how much I enjoyed hearing your boy got a job at Larry's.  In the 30+ years I've lived in Fla. I have yet to find a better Cuban than Larry's Deli.

Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:28:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Can't say how much I enjoyed hearing your boy got a job at Larry's.  In the 30+ years I've lived in Fla. I have yet to find a better Cuban than Larry's Deli.

View Quote

I haven't been in there since it was Rio Max's.  I'll have to try them.  I wonder if they still make good deviled crabs there?  Oops, got my delis mixed up.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top