Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2015 5:45:47 PM EDT
Do they make you buy their "Rapid Fire License" to shoot full auto? Also, I read something about grated floors, so the brass falls through. Do I need to bring a brass catcher if I want to keep my brass, or is the grate area in your own lane easily accessible and do they even let you get in there to get your brass? If not I'll probably just bring Wolf steel case and they can have at it.

Gonna ask these same questions on their website feedback page, will update with their answers in case anybody else is interested.

Link Posted: 5/2/2015 7:24:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Their reply:

Thanks for the inquiry.  We welcome full auto guns and you may shoot without the license, but please note that if the ceiling tiles are hit at all you will be asked to stop shooting for the day.  We have mats to cover the grates that enables you to collect most of your brass, but you may wish to bring your brass catcher if you want to capture 100% of your brass.  Thank you.
View Quote

I think I may have found my new shooting spot. Indoors at least. Still looking for a good outdoor place to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:47:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Actually seems like a pretty reasonable response.  Strange they have a rapid-fire license though lol
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:17:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Actually seems like a pretty reasonable response.  Strange they have a rapid-fire license though lol
View Quote

they require a "license" for everything, just a way to make a bit more $$
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:36:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm no longer an employee so have zero skin in the game, but I was the CRSO for Nexus when they opened, and I was part of the team that came up with the licensing Courses of Fire.

The licenses were 100% intended to be a quick measure of someones skill level, to see if they could safely shoot at the level they wanted to.
During my time there, I spent a BUNCH of time coaching NEXUS's customers without charging them anything more than their range time to get them able to pass the rapid fire qual.  

As another local instructor says, Apply Fundamentals, Get Results.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 11:10:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm no longer an employee so have zero skin in the game, but I was the CRSO for Nexus when they opened, and I was part of the team that came up with the licensing Courses of Fire.

The licenses were 100% intended to be a quick measure of someones skill level, to see if they could safely shoot at the level they wanted to.
During my time there, I spent a BUNCH of time coaching NEXUS's customers without charging them anything more than their range time to get them able to pass the rapid fire qual.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I completely understand the concept of it, but having "rapid fire" "operator" and "elite" license is a little
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 12:10:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

View Quote

I have no connection to Nexus, other than as a satisfied customer.  In fact, it is by far, my favorite indoor range I've ever shot at.  In particular, I like the ventilation system as the air is very clean, I don't feel like I'm overheated and choking on the gun smoke.

At the time I first started shooting there, they hadn't started doing the testing so all I had was the basic membership.

I've shot full auto before at Nexus and never had a problem (other than having to wait for a lane if I went on a weekend evening).

Only recently did I take the tests and go up to Elite, the top category because I wanted to shoot in their weekly Elite Matches.

I can understand the concept behind the various licenses, specifically, so they can allow shooters to do things a lot of other ranges won't let them do, like rapid fire or draw from a holster, provided they have shown that they can do so safely.

I think the $20 per level seems a bit on the pricey side but after doing the testing I can understand why they charge that.  In order to do the testing, they have to set aside one entire range for a couple of hours and dedicate a skilled employee to the task.  When I did it, there were 4 other people testing that night and it took a long time to run everyone through all of the instruction and tests.

If you just took your time and paid attention to what they wanted you to do, it wasn't hard to pass.  When I was there, one guy failed the shooting on the move part because he wasn't paying attention but everyone else passed all other parts.

Two other comments:

1) The rapid fire license is a handgun test and says nothing about my ability to rapid fire a rifle or shotgun.  Still, I figure that if they know you are safe shooting a handgun, you are likely safe shooting other guns.

2) You get your "license" scanned when you get your lane assigned and it isn't shown inside at the firing line.  Maybe I never paid close enough attention but I don't know how the RO inside the range knows who has what level of license you have.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:32:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The first level of testing was, by design, the most difficult. "Rapid Fire" weeded out about 90% of the people who had no business trying to draw from the holster or move around with a loaded firearm.

Unless they have changed it in the last year, the final string was: 7 yards, 8 rounds, all into the A / B zone of a USPSA target with a 4.0 second par time. Not hard to with a little bit of knowledge and practice. The Qualifying for "Holster Draw" and "Move and Shoot" ( I did and still do HATE calling the 3rd tier "Elite" ) was just to insure the shooters were cluefull on how to do it without injuring themselves or someone else.

As an experienced shooter I'd think $60 ( for all 3 Qualifications )   was cheap peace of mind that the shooter drawing in the bay next to me was not going to crank one my way, or cover me in a spray of his bodily fluids after shooting himself.

From the other angle, $60 is the deal of the century to learn how to ACCURATELY shoot rapidly, SAFELY come in and out of a holster, and QUICKLY move around while doing that accurate shooting.
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 9:28:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
The first level of testing was, by design, the most difficult. "Rapid Fire" weeded out about 90% of the people who had no business trying to draw from the holster or move around with a loaded firearm.

Unless they have changed it in the last year, the final string was: 7 yards, 8 rounds, all into the A / B zone of a USPSA target with a 4.0 second par time. Not hard to with a little bit of knowledge and practice. The Qualifying for "Holster Draw" and "Move and Shoot" ( I did and still do HATE calling the 3rd tier "Elite" ) was just to insure the shooters were cluefull on how to do it without injuring themselves or someone else.

As an experienced shooter I'd think $60 ( for all 3 Qualifications )   was cheap peace of mind that the shooter drawing in the bay next to me was not going to crank one my way, or cover me in a spray of his bodily fluids after shooting himself.

From the other angle, $60 is the deal of the century to learn how to ACCURATELY shoot rapidly, SAFELY come in and out of a holster, and QUICKLY move around while doing that accurate shooting.
View Quote

With what pistol?  I could do that with my eyes closed with a .22...  A little different with a .44 haha
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 10:44:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

With what pistol?  I could do that with my eyes closed with a .22...  A little different with a .44 haha
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, you can't do it with a .22.  I think the minimum is a 9mm.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top